My Shop Project

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be updating this as I go in the Instructions Forum.

Many of you have noticed and emailed me about the continually changing "Shop Project" in my signature. I've been taking pictures as I go to do an article/instruction on the transformation... I hope to cover everything from wiring and drywall to flooring and lighting.

The shop is currently a 768 sq. ft. 24' x 32' shop with a 10'4" ceiling... it will grow over the next year to 1050 sq. ft. 24' x 44' shop (32' with 10'4" ceiling and 12' with an 8' ceiling) with a 14' x 32' office addition and a 14' x 32' storage room addition....

The shop will have a lot of nice features:

Work area:

24' x 26'
epoxy floor (tan)
back wall: 2-3'x 8'x 8' industrial storage racks, air compressor
bay 1: cabinets, work benches, tool boxes, ceiling drops: drop lights, power reel, air reel
bay 2: four post lift

Car parking area:
24' x 18'
vinyl tile (tan)

General:

Insulation - 8" blown celulose in attic, fiberglass and 1/4" foam in walls
Walls - "orange peel" texture, Wimbleton white
Ceiling - "acoustic" texture, White
Trim - GTS Blue
lighting:
- nine four foot, four bulb florescent light fixtures in work bay
- two four foot, four light florescent light fixtures in car parking bay
- five recessed spot lights
Electrical:
- 200 Amp service
- three lighting circuits
- 230 compressor circuit
- 230 A/C circiut
- five 20 amp circuits
- lift
- ceiling
- three wall outlets
- five 15 amp circiuts
- storage addition
- exterior outlets
- exterior lighting
- 60 amp sub panal for office addtion

Fun:

south wall to feature a 10' x 24' "Dodge Has a Two Track Mind" billboard.

I am doing all the work myself, and so far I have finshed the wiring, ceiling, north wall (Including cabinet installation), east wall, and the epoxy floor.

Next up are the 14' x 32' storage addition and then the same sized office addition (it will require plumbing, so I'm saving it for last)..

Kingman wanted to see a couple of pictures, these are quick and dirty, but this is where I am right now.....

North Wall (May not look like much, but this is 19 running feet of cabinets):

DSCN2229.JPG

East Wall (You can see three of the five recessed lights intended to light up the upcoming billboard wall):

DSCN2230.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful, now where is the kegorator :2tu:

The office addition plans include a kitchenette with a "Beverage Cooler" ;)

The fill dirt is scheduled to arrive Friday. Once here, the dirtwork for the addtions begins.....

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. Did you look into putting lighting in the floor under the lift? Seems it would be nice for working on the lifted vehicle. If I only had the space!

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be uplaoding some more photos of the progress I'm making on the project soon...

I have the shop extension and storage addition concrete foundations done, and have completed framing the storage addition and even got the roof decking down. A minor setback occurred tonight though...... I had all the roofing underlayment temporarily down, and the first course nailed in place... the whole works was held down with a lot of left over lumber 'till I had a whole day to finish nailing and put the membrane down over the underlayment (It is a shallow pitch roof, so I went with a commercial Siplast roofing product).

Now to the set back: Big Storms Right now! I live midway between Texarkanna and Hot Spring. I'd guess we had 50+ mph winds from the northwest.... not normal as the weather around here ussually comes from the southwest... sadly, all the underlayment became, well...."flags in the breeze". All my roof decking is soaked, and to add insult to injury, all the siding pywwod was below the roof... and is now soaked too :( I have a pretty big mess. I'm sitting on a towel as I type this. The winds died down enough for me to manage to get the underlayment back down, and it appears to be staying put and the rain is at least not pouring through any longer :) I put every old decking 2x6 I could find on it.... won't know how much damage to the decking 'till I can peel the underlayment back up and see.... hopefully I had it nailed down good enough and it won't warp to bad when it dries. I'm glad I went with plywood instead of chipboard, I know it would have all been shot it I had done that. Ah, the fun of construction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang