Need tips on selling my 96 rt10

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 RT/10. 58k miles. Black/silver stripes. Clear title, no accidents. Besides the radio, the only mod is the PS overflow tube, although I replaced the PS unit as well. Owned it for almost 6 years, but since I only drive it a couple times a year nowadays, it's time for someone else to enjoy it since I don't want it to be a "garage queen".

It's got that "fuel gauge always shows zero" issue and a fog light is cracked, but otherwise it's pretty much perfect.

http://aws910.com/dodge.jpg

http://aws910.com/dodge2.jpg

http://aws910.com/dodge3.jpg

Anybody got tips on a good location/method/price to sell it at? I've never sold a car this expensive, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craigslist and Autotrader. Also get a photobucket account and put tons of pictures on there

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craigslist and Autotrader. Also get a photobucket account and put tons of pictures on there

add cars.com, ebay, and the VCA classifieds to the list:2tu:

Where are you located XR?

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the people who actually own one themselves lol... everybody else loves it!

V

Venomiss

You might try the VCA classifieds and contact the VCA SoCal Club directly since your location is close.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did anyone else laugh upon looking at the 1st pic?:rolaugh:

To each their own Dom...I just had a chat with my daughter last night about "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Good luck with the transaction XR!! VCA Classifieds and eBay are where I looked for years before getting mine.

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol yeah you guys are right, I do need to take care of those gaps between the hood and bumper. It was always that way, so I'm guessing it just wasn't fitted right at the factory. It's just a couple little bumpers that you can turn to adjust the clearance, right?

That fog light is cracked too... happened the FIRST time I drove it! Supposing I have the time and energy to fix that, I'd need to take the bumper off to replace it, right?

Anyway, I'm just happy to see that it still has great oil pressure, it starts up with no issues, and the paint still looks great. Someone will really enjoy this, I think. I'll sure miss "the ol dodge", but it's time for it to go.

Thanks for all the advice!

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a smilier issue with my 96 RT. Just the driverside has a gap issue with the hood. It's at the dealership now and they said it just needs an adjustment ... We'll see how adjusted it is when I pick it up tomorrow!

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my auction on fleabay ended with zero bids. Lots of people trying to lowball me though.... like this guy - I saved the texts:

(1 hour before auction end)
Him: Hi I'm the guy that had been emailing you on your viper rt/10. Im from Arizona and I dont mind the gas gauge or the minor issue as mention on your ad. I have families in Sacramento, so I can possibly have my brother order some rear brakes and I will install them before I head out to AZ. My biggest concern is being able to drive it back to AZ without an issue. There is a 99 Silver Viper GTS I already bought plane ticket and plan on buying for $22k in Los Angeles area.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2828303608.html

But I missed my RT- and I just preferred the top off. I will get the gas gauge fixed back here in AZ., but I was wandering if you will do $19,500.00 cash for your Viper? I'm a serious buyer and if you are ok with it I'll just change my plane ticket to fly out to Sacramento and have my brother take me to get your car.. Thank You...:)

Me: Its too close to the auction end to call it, but I will keep your offer in mind. Will know very soon! Btw the top stays on fine, but the bolts need to be tightened about every 100 miles when the top is on. Thanks!

Btw, why not just enter a bid of 19,999?
(a few minutes pass)

You're like the 5th person that's asked me to sell it for 19,500 too. Just bid, man!

Him: Will I'm a serious buyer and I'm just trying to maximize my spending to the vehicle and the trip itself. If you change the buy it now to $19,500.00, I have 100% feedback on eBay and will buy it ASAP from you... Thanks

Me: Sorry, I would only sell it to the first guy who said 19,500. If you can't go higher, I just can't sell to you

Him: Ok $19,700 cash then?

Me: Dude! Bid! You're ******* me off, if you don't bid I will sell to someone else
(20 seconds left on auction)

Crunch time, kid
(auction ends with no bids)

Well, I'm gonna sell to someone else. Sorry man, I'm sure that silver gts is gonna be a kick. Have a good one!
(the room I was in erupted with laughter at that one)

Him: Sorry man I was not on time

But I'm ok with the $20k., My flight is this Friday evening. I can get the car as early as Saturday morning.. Again I apologize I wasnt near the computer and thought we still had like 40 mins left..

Or we can possibly do it this Friday afternoon... How far are you to the Oakland Airport?

Me: Sorry man. We both know that it would have sparked a bidding war if just one person had bid. That's why I wasn't 100% interested in selling for 19,999. I knew it would have been bid up, probably above the buy it now price. The page had over 900 views and 30 watchers. I will let you know when I re-post it. Thanks!

---

So then, after that, we proceeded to knock out the wine we had opened, and read some ebolamonkeyman. At least I didn't get scammed out of it. I would have cried myself to sleep every night if I had to sell it for $19,999!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA!, my friend just spent more than that on a KIA optima.

An F'in KIA:rolaugh:

Selling a car like this is a PITA. However, if you wait just a couple months untill spring i guarantee you will have alteast 3X as many prospective buyers and many more serious offers that will result in a higher sale price:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each their own Dom...I just had a chat with my daughter last night about "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

He is representing the car as "Clear title, no accidents" and the 1st pic shows a crooked hood. I found some humor in that which is why i simply laughed. I didnt call him out and say "look at that crooked hood", "that car has def been n an accedent", yadayadayada. I just laughed.

now that its out of the bag. I will say that since the MisterXR is not the original owner and this Viper was driven by someone else for over 10yrs prior to him that is is possible there was previously somethign that happened to make it crooked. This could be a collision or someone simply taking the front facia off to repaint rockchips and not puting everything back together right. I say this based on the asumption that hoods dont leave the factory crooked like that. If i was looking to purchase this particular Viper i would inspect it on a lift to check out the situation and recommend the same to any prospective buyer of any Viper:2tu:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree on holding out 'till Spring.

Emotions and dreams of cruising the beach could definitely spark impulse purchases!

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the hood thing - back in '96, they were busy re-tooling things to make the GTS... plus these cars were built by hand from the inside out, which was unconventional as well. Go to your viper and open the door, you'll probably see that they had to use shims to make everything line up. It's been that way in any viper I've seen. That said, I think I've already figured out how to adjust the hood clearance, and will def be fixing that in the very near future. Thanks all!

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw dom, you have the exact car/color I always wanted anyway. So jealous!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery