Newly Installed Headers/exhaust... Sound Not What I Was Expecting?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At age 53, I subscribe to the theory that things are going to be really, really quiet for me at some point soon, and for all eternity, therefore, I want to make all the noise I can while I'm above ground... If I can't set off car alarms in my cars and bike, it's not loud enough..... But that's just me.......

Johnk... I really do not count on it being quiet in Heaven. :headbang: Sorry boys and girls, but, I'm not the politically correct type so I can say openly that I have confessed to God and taken Jesus into my heart and I know that I will not perish into silence. You can do it too. I plan on plenty of noise in heaven and seeing my VCA friends there. Maybe the Vipers will even be better there! :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good question... anyone??

btw the car is looking nice Dave!

Your going to get small carbon deposits imbedding themselves into the clear coat with or without the cats. If your aftermarket exhaust is sticking way out like a set of buck teeth (like I've seen on some bad installs) you'll probably minimize the pitting. I'd say put a nice coat of wax on the rear fascia then clean off the exhaust residue regularly. Wash, wax, repeat.......cause if you drive your car you'll notice the rear fascia collects dust and debris within a block.

By the way the first time you go to remove these specs, gently soak them with WD-40, it will eventually dissolve the carbon. DON'T scrub them! or your paint will get scratched. Wash the WD-40 off then wax. Eventually you'll cave in and stop this non stop process or if you have OCD you'll just stop driving the car.

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone not running cats notice pitting on the rear panel clear coat? In reading posts from the previous owner of my car it appears this is how the marks on my car came about. Would hate to see someone unknowingly do this.

Chris

There is some discoloration on the rear bumper right above the tips. This can be eliminated with a wax. I used Meguires, not the paste, the other kind. A little elbow grease and back to shiny black it went. Do this from time to time and it should stay away for good. I never experience cracking or peeling of any kind.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, on the way in this morning, I put the window down to absorb some of that fresh 85 degree morning air. At WOT it made my ears ring. WITH cats remember.

I can't imagine using a cat-less vehicle for anything other than recreational sport driving.

Trailertrash

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in Indiana and enjoy the luxury of not having a smog check to answer to. My 2000GTS exhaust system has OEM manifolds, then 2.5" straight pipe under the sills. So yes the ressinator and cat were removed. The rear muffler is stock. Sound was verry good at high way speeds, under hard acceleration between gears I would get popping and lots of rumbling. Sounds like and older can-am car. I have since installed the new x pipe muffler from dynomax in the place of the factory muffler. Much inproved sound. I would recommend this setup to anyone looking for great sound on a budget. Side sills are low temp, temps in car are cool, sound is good considering I only spent $135 for the muffler and $25 for the 2.5" pipng.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good! My offer still stands about trading the headers for my stock manifolds. I'll be in Dalton next weekend, so if you are interested in doing the swap, just show up in Dalton with your Viper. I'll even have access to a lift. :D

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good! My offer still stands about trading the headers for my stock manifolds. I'll be in Dalton next weekend, so if you are interested in doing the swap, just show up in Dalton with your Viper. I'll even have access to a lift. :D

i'll keep that in mind... may be just what I need. :lmao: