NSX for Viper

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You've heard wrong info. Just ask anyone who was at our NJ VCA Viper/Ferarri challenge at Pocono. We had an incredible amount of track time (and sure enjoyed smokin' all those 360's, TR's and others) with absolutely no down time on any of the more than a dozen stock or near stock Vipers ... and gee, did I even check my tire pressure?

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you don't mind all the attention...then go ahead...buy one...but i'm warnin ya. i've seen people run into other cars while gawking at the car....i've had 3 people take pictures of it...i returned a movie at block busters and when i walked out it was surrounded by a group with two cameras. and the questions...geesh. how fast, how much, when did you buy it and how fast have you had it. i was mobbed last year when my neighbor's daughter and her friends were taking graduation pictures and they caught me leaving. to be honest with you...and you can ask the wife...it's a bit embarrasing. i didn't buy the car for any attention...but believe me...it's there. and with a couple mods....WOW....and most importantly....be careful....mucho torque. but you will NOT regret buying it. i've had mine since feb of 2000 and it's been in the shop a couple times....( darned skinny little ½ shafts ) but they've taken extremely good care me. not one single regret. i might even try and get a hold of one of the camaro/vette/honda lookin 2003's...oh well....enough yakkin. have fun with yours.

Rick

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was ready to buy I promised myself that I was not going to just go out and buy my Viper. I have to try to find some other cars to test drive at the time. The only other car I drove was an NSX. It was a great car and I loved it.

But I can honestly say that just hearing a Viper start-up was more fun than driving the NSX. The NSX is great fun at high RPMs. But anywhere else in the RPM range it is much like any other Acura, smooth, quiet, and boring. I simply decided that I wanted a car than was fun to drive ALL THE TIME, not just at 6,000 RPM.

I'll never forget the first time I saw an NSX and I run up to the owner to ask how he liked the car. His response "it's a good car, it's the third honda I've bought"...

Buy the Viper It is the most satisfying car I have ever owned. You will love it too.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never lost a race to any Ferrari or Porsche, or even a supercharged NSX that raced in the LA street races. Oh yeah, never had anything break either. The Viper will amaze you!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. simple answer...

Ask ppl's opinions that HAVE the car. Not the ones who are jealous of it or drive a slower car. Don't let them fool you. Ppl buy vettes, porsches because they are sporty and supposed to be F_A_S_T. When they find out their salesman lied to them about their car is faster, handles betters, accelerates smoother, they become trash talking Viper haters..
Oh, and I love it! When you talk to them about their car, all of a sudden, they bought their car because it's more comfortable. I've owned many cars and I'll go out on a limb here and tell you that my Viper is the most comfortable daily driver car I've EVER owned! Lots of storage space (GTS), LOTS of looks!, Fast, Did I say FAST?, and be prepared to feel like a celebrity!...

Oh, and get ready for the ultimate question... "How much did it cost?" Oh, I hate that question..... I usually reply back with, "That's kind of personal, how much did you make a year minus benefits?" hehe, they hate that.

Lots o' luck!
Gerald

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cockpit rattles on my GTS at all...Nothing has broken either...

Had a Porsche Turbo and it was far from trouble free so don't believe everything you hear...Tried the NSX...Nice but too bland for my taste...

The Viper is the best sports car I've owned and I've owned a few of em...

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My very biased opinion..
I bought my Viper (94 RT/10) from a former NSX owner. He sold his NSX, bought the Viper, had it for 1 month, hated it, and sold it to me.
I have put 15k miles of trouble free driving on it, I have run it at Willow Springs for about 2 hours of track time (4 30 minute sessions)in 100 degree temps,went to the drags in Palmdale, and never had a problem with it (knocking on wood now).
What a great car the Viper is....like the others said, be ready for attention...its embarassing. I have driven a NSX a number of times, its a very nice car, I like them alot, but its no comparison to a Viper, and remember mine is a Gen. 1 with only 400hp...the Gen 2's are supposed to be much better, and have 50+ more ponies.
Cheers,
Scott

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I love about the Viper is there is virtually no car that performs as well at: 1) the dragstrip, 2) the track and 3) a car show. While many may do as well or possibly even better at one or two (911TT close to equal in #2, modified LS1 better at #1 etc.) but almost none as well at all three. A NSX might do well on the track or maybe a car show it will never do as well at all three. You will never regret the decision to own a Viper.

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my 2001 GTS yesterday and today I experienced the attention the car gets.

I was on the freeway when an NSX pulled up along side of me. The guy in the passenger seat rolled down the window and started yelling how cool my car is and the driver was giving me thumbs up. I guess they liked it.

As far as rattles, I do have one. It appears to be from the parking brake button.

Although I'm still early in the breakin process, it is the best car I've ever driven.

GO GET ONE!

Ken

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether on the racetrack, the street or out for a social event, my 99 Viper (ACR) is the most amazing (performance) car I've ever owned; and I've had a bunch! I ripped the road course at Pocono last weekend and at the end of the day, turned on the a/c and stereo and cruised home. Not many cars can match that kind of Jekel & Hyde performance.

Outstanding build quality, fit and finish, etc. 15,000 miles of pure exhilaration and not a single failure. As I said, amazing!

PS - Be prepared for lots of attention .... lots!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether on the racetrack, the street or out for a social event, my 99 Viper (ACR) is the most amazing (performance) car I've ever owned; and I've had a bunch! I ripped the road course at Pocono last weekend and at the end of the day, turned on the a/c and stereo and cruised home. Not many cars can match that kind of Jekel & Hyde performance.

Outstanding build quality, fit and finish, etc. 15,000 miles of pure exhilaration and not a single failure. As I said, amazing!

PS - Be prepared for lots of attention .... lots!

PSS - Lose the name.

Reaction score
Have to add a couple of stories myself, both from one day trip from Palo Alto, CA to Big Sur.

1) This attractive young lady in a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo comes barreling down on me on the freeway on the way down there. She pulls up aside, and I thought it was going to be a chump trying to go with me. I look over (mind you, I am on a date, so I was behaving like every bit the gentleman I am) to see what she has for me. She smiles and yells, "Great car!!", then hits the gas and takes off. Had I been alone I would have toyed around a bit and made the most of the short experience.

2) Later that night a few indian-american gentlemen were walking by when we walked up after dinner. They were commenting and oohh-ing and ahh-ing. I offered for them to sit in it, and when I saw the camera, offered them to take as many pictures as they like. They were so pumped!

I am often glad I got a Viper just because it puts me in direct contact with more people. I normally have 'good days' almost every day, so I try to share some of my happiness with others whenever I can. Locally, I have contacted a children's shelter about volunteering sometime with the Viper to let kids sit in it or perhaps get a ride.

Not that that is everyone's motivation, but I cannot think of another car in the same price range that would bring this kind of attention. I personally bought it because I love raw, straightaway speed. But the other benefits have been a lot of fun!

Good luck with your decision!

Rollo

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's another point of view.... We had a club member trade his NSX for an early RT (94). Took the RT/10 to ViperDays at VIR. He'd been to multiple track events with the NSX club. Viper scared the living daylights out of him on the track. He was NOT prepared for the different driving techniques between the 2 cars. Then, after that, the Viper started to fall from favor. Granted he had an early roadster (read - side curtains...) but he felt the car was too unpredictable where his NSX kept him in is safety zone better. Sold the RT and bought another NSX. Wanted all the bells and whistles and the daily driver features of the Acura.

But wait, there's more....

Called a few months later and started thinking about a Gen 2 RT/10 or maybe a GTS. Apparently, the NSX was now rather boring, and he couldn't shake the snake....

Don't know what he ended up doing, but his NSX experience has now been ruined.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUY THE VIPER!!!

I have owned porsches, vettes, jaguars, and others but i love the Viper the most.

Last week i had a new white vette pull up next to me on the highway, when i heard the beep i looked over and there was a very pretty Woman giving me thumbs up.

I should have bought the car years ago.

BTW I own a 1990 modified ZR1 that is faster than my stock GTS (for now), and is a thrill to drive and hear, but i still prefer the viper.

You must be registered for see images

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS and my 996TT have been/are my favorite cars. I disagree with the reports of no problems with the car. My parking brake rattled badly, and after two track days I had cracked front rotors and cracked break pads. If you are going to track the car, call www.woodhouse.com and they can give you some suggestions for track use with the stock brakes. If you do any upgrades to the car I would do that first.

I did sell my 98 GTS because I cannot find good service in the Atlanta area. The first time I took it in for service for several small problems, the Dealer ran the car over a curb and scratched up the front spoiler. I sold the car (yes I am too anal). After being without my GTS for 2 months, I have to have another one, looking at Red/Silver ones now.

It is a great car. Until I got my 996TT it was my favorite car by far. I did track the GTS and never had a problem passing NSX’s.

Good luck
Roy

01 996 TT
00 996 Cab
00 Lotus Exige

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala