Potential new owner looking for some basic information, thanks :)

1Willy1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys

I know everyone hates these threads, and I know im going to be told to "google" or "search " first, and I have, but im hoping top learn a few things from the current owners if possible.

Im coming from a C5 corvette and am of course in love with the looks and power of the gen 3 vipers, my only concern is the drive train and how reliable it is.

Ive heard they can potentially have oil issues which lead to engine failures, how common is this really?

Has anyone here had any engine or tranny issues ?

I don't track my cars and have no intention too either, I just like to rip through the gears sometimes and love the low end torque, that's about it.

Are these engines built for the long haul? Most vipers I see are low mileage garage queens, so im not sure, can they make 200 000 miles? Are they built for the daily grind of a daily driver?

Are there any warrantees that would cover an engine breakdown at this point? I know they are getting older now and its hard to get a lot of cars covered after a certain age.

Basically any info would be appreciated, ive found a 2006 , fairly low mileage convertible that has apparently been "tuned", but its from a reputable dealer and the price is tempting, so that's why im here.

Thanks in advance guys :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
For the most part the drivetrains in these cars are near bulletproof. They are built for the rigors of racing and put up with being beat on all day long, though neglect will kill any engine. Keep the fluids fresh and the parts moving so seals don't dry out and the engine will probably outlast you. The only oil problems I've ever heard of with the gen 3s are in long sweeping turns at high Gs on a racetrack when the pickup can become uncovered. Based on your intended usage, that shouldn't be a problem. Transmissions are known to be stout, but again your skill can have a big effect on this. If you're ******* clutches and shifts then no transmission will last, but the Viper uses effectively the same transmission as the C5 Vette you're coming from, so if you trusted it there you can trust it here. The engines are typically not what causes the car to be low mileage, it's the expensive of replacing body parts and the "less than supple" ride that the cars can have I think. That being said, I daily drive mine and am on the verge of 100,000 miles with no real mechanical issues in the 50k miles I've owned it. As far as warranties, hopefully someone else will chime in. I've never been one to buy them and do all my work myself if at all possible, so it's never really been on my radar.

Some common issues that will likely come up over time are oil cooler lines ($300-400 fix, not life threatening, just a slow leak), power steering lines (again, ~$300 fix, non-critical as long as you don't run a pump dry), engine mounts (~$250 for a good replacement set that will last I think), window regulators (~$400 apiece I think, though I've yet to have a problem with mine) and that's probably the biggest of your worries. All of them can be upgraded immediately or as your time and budget allows. I've replaced all of them in mine (aside from regulators) in the 3 years I've owned it, but just as they go out. All told it's only around $1000, so that's not bad at all.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had a C5 Corvette. From the standpoint of a daily driver, The Corvette is the better choice hands down.
The Viper is more thrilling and manages to keep your attention 100% of the time. You don't need a radio, someone to keep you company......nothing.
The Viper's character is it's own source of entertainment.

Mechanically, these things are pretty bullet proof. They will endure way more abuse/hard driving than any Corvette.
I now have a 2009 Z06 as a second track car. It seems to require a little more TLC than my Viper.

hope this helps.

OP
OP

1Willy1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the most part the drivetrains in these cars are near bulletproof. They are built for the rigors of racing and put up with being beat on all day long, though neglect will kill any engine. Keep the fluids fresh and the parts moving so seals don't dry out and the engine will probably outlast you. The only oil problems I've ever heard of with the gen 3s are in long sweeping turns at high Gs on a racetrack when the pickup can become uncovered. Based on your intended usage, that shouldn't be a problem. Transmissions are known to be stout, but again your skill can have a big effect on this. If you're ******* clutches and shifts then no transmission will last, but the Viper uses effectively the same transmission as the C5 Vette you're coming from, so if you trusted it there you can trust it here. The engines are typically not what causes the car to be low mileage, it's the expensive of replacing body parts and the "less than supple" ride that the cars can have I think. That being said, I daily drive mine and am on the verge of 100,000 miles with no real mechanical issues in the 50k miles I've owned it. As far as warranties, hopefully someone else will chime in. I've never been one to buy them and do all my work myself if at all possible, so it's never really been on my radar.

Some common issues that will likely come up over time are oil cooler lines ($300-400 fix, not life threatening, just a slow leak), power steering lines (again, ~$300 fix, non-critical as long as you don't run a pump dry), engine mounts (~$250 for a good replacement set that will last I think), window regulators (~$400 apiece I think, though I've yet to have a problem with mine) and that's probably the biggest of your worries. All of them can be upgraded immediately or as your time and budget allows. I've replaced all of them in mine (aside from regulators) in the 3 years I've owned it, but just as they go out. All told it's only around $1000, so that's not bad at all.

That's really great to hear, thanks for the reply , a lot of good info

The thing with me is im really way out of my league with a viper, ive just been lucky enough to have a few great years financially and all of a sudden these dream cars are starting to become an actual possibility, I almost cant belive it myself sometimes lol

I have no problem with maintenance, issues that pop up, that's all part of car ownership, its just the engine and drive train that are my concern

I have a feeling that even though these cars are built to race and have all the power to back it up, I bet there are a lot of them that have never been abused, same as the corvettes, you can easily find a lot of low mileage garage queens sitting pretty that have been unmolested, id love to find a viper in the same way

With regards to the tranny, wow, I didn't know it uses the same one as the C5, I think its a T56 tremac or something like that, pretty solid trannys, a little rough and notchy at first but ive gotten well used to it, and the best part is they are reasonably priced for replacement if need be.

Thanks again

I also had a C5 Corvette. From the standpoint of a daily driver, The Corvette is the better choice hands down.
The Viper is more thrilling and manages to keep your attention 100% of the time. You don't need a radio, someone to keep you company......nothing.
The Viper's character is it's own source of entertainment.

Mechanically, these things are pretty bullet proof. They will endure way more abuse/hard driving than any Corvette.
I now have a 2009 Z06 as a second track car. It seems to require a little more TLC than my Viper.

hope this helps.

I just watched a video about a guy who owned both, a Z06 C5 and a Gen 2 viper, and he loved both but said that the C5 is better for a daily driver

Honestly I don't think id mind the rough ride, the grunt of that V10 and the looks of the viper would be all I need in all honesty

My main concern is I just don't want to run into engine troubles

Thanks for the info

OP
OP

1Willy1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also from the research ive been doing, I came across a few posts stating the the gen1 and gen 2 engines are actually better built and more reliable then the gen 3's?

Any truth to this? Someone on my vette forum told me 1999 was the last year they used forged internals?

I like the gen2's as well, but they look a tad dated to me, no offense to any owners here of the gen2's, its just my preference to try to get into a gen3 that's all.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My parents had a C5 for a while as well and I agree that it's probably one of the most useful cars we ever owned, but just not the same. It has tons of space, enough performance to be fun, decent looks and ride, but just lacks some excitement unless you're pushing it pretty hard. The Viper always feels like it's tugging at the reigns, though if you drive one normally they really drive like a regular car just fine. They just have far higher limits than most cars that can get people in trouble.

As far as engines, while it's true the earlier cars were more stoutly built with forged internals, unless you are planning to add power or forced induction it would likely never make a difference. To put something into perspective, the 8+ liter engine in a gen 3 has 500 hp, or roughly ~60 hp per liter. That's really low stress compared to a turbo 4 cylinder with 150+. Granted, if you boost a Viper you can get those same kind of hp/liter figures, but it just stresses everything a bit harder. The only "reliability" issue I could claim on my engine is the idle doesn't always like to settle and will hang a tad high from time to time (mostly when it gets cold out), but I attribute some of this to the custom tune that came with the car. I don't have a stock tune to verify this though, could just be a sensor or IAC motor or something going out. The updates you get to the rest of the car with the jump from gen 2 to gen 3 is well worth whatever claims there are for the earlier engines being stronger. The brakes in a gen 3 are worlds apart from the earlier gens and the interior is a little nicer as the car was starting to be more its own platform and less a parts bin special that shared components with everything else. With almost 100k on the odometer mine still dynos just shy of 500 at the tires with headers, a catback, and a tune, so I don't think they have any issues lasting.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive never been in a gen 3 but i own a 97 gts and an 01 acr. they are a much different car than anything ive driven, and ive been in a few corvettes and other high end sports cars. you definitely have to be much more careful driving these cars or they will bite you in the ass, but they are the most rewarding and fun car to drive once you get the hang of them. The drivetrain on all vipers has always been very strong, if not one of the strongest to be put in a factory car, they can handle a lot of abuse as long as theyre well maintained.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 C5 Vette Vert and then a 2005 Viper Vert. The Viper was a far better ownership experience and definitely far and away more reliable.

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My parents had a C5 for a while as well and I agree that it's probably one of the most useful cars we ever owned, but just not the same. It has tons of space, enough performance to be fun, decent looks and ride, but just lacks some excitement unless you're pushing it pretty hard. The Viper always feels like it's tugging at the reigns, though if you drive one normally they really drive like a regular car just fine. They just have far higher limits than most cars that can get people in trouble.

As far as engines, while it's true the earlier cars were more stoutly built with forged internals, unless you are planning to add power or forced induction it would likely never make a difference. To put something into perspective, the 8+ liter engine in a gen 3 has 500 hp, or roughly ~60 hp per liter. That's really low stress compared to a turbo 4 cylinder with 150+. Granted, if you boost a Viper you can get those same kind of hp/liter figures, but it just stresses everything a bit harder. The only "reliability" issue I could claim on my engine is the idle doesn't always like to settle and will hang a tad high from time to time (mostly when it gets cold out), but I attribute some of this to the custom tune that came with the car. I don't have a stock tune to verify this though, could just be a sensor or IAC motor or something going out. The updates you get to the rest of the car with the jump from gen 2 to gen 3 is well worth whatever claims there are for the earlier engines being stronger. The brakes in a gen 3 are worlds apart from the earlier gens and the interior is a little nicer as the car was starting to be more its own platform and less a parts bin special that shared components with everything else. With almost 100k on the odometer mine still dynos just shy of 500 at the tires with headers, a catback, and a tune, so I don't think they have any issues lasting.

MoparMap....in your 50K miles of owning the car, have you had to put a clutch in it? Or do you happen to know if the previous owner put one in. I am at 25k with normal driving...and am wondering when I may start planning on a clutch replacement. Thanks! -Kirk

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have not put a clutch in yet, though I am unsure if one was even installed in the car prior to my ownership. Most of my miles have been highway, so the clutch doesn't see too much abuse. I have driven two parades with it though. After the most recent one this St. Patrick's Day I'm wondering if I might need one sooner than later, but it seems like it still holds well. Feels like it engages just slightly different, but if I hop on it it doesn't feel like it slips any.