Purchased this thing today on a whim. Worth it? Anyone know what it is?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure. It looks like the top half of a Henny CF airbox....but who would sell just half of the top? Perhaps it also fits a standard airbox and would dress up that generally plastic-y area nicely. You will like the K&Ns though!

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure. It looks like the top half of a Henny CF airbox....but who would sell just half of the top? Perhaps it also fits a standard airbox and would dress up that generally plastic-y area nicely. You will like the K&Ns though!

K&N's make much of a difference? Wouldn't think so, but I guess if someone else recomends them I will order them up. Also 99 GTS takes two correct????

And yeah I think this is either just the top half, or just a cover????? Not sure, I did ask them if there was anything else that went with it and they didn't seem to know. Some junk yard stuff you know. I figure it may be a waste $50, but what the hell it says GTSR, and looks kinda cool none the less!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thay have had that thing listed on ebay for close to a year, I think when they first listed it is was close to $100, I was considering buying it a while back to dress up the air box with CF and if it did not look good it would have made it to the wall as viper art, I dont think you wasted $50, just enjoy it for what it is

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N's make much of a difference? Wouldn't think so, but I guess if someone else recomends them I will order them up. Also 99 GTS takes two correct????

K&N's are far superior to OEM air filters, but don't plan on feeling ANY difference power wise. The engine will breath better, but any HP gain will be small. Yes, your car takes 2.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
k&n's + smooth tubes, best cost per hp gain avail on a gen 2, but like chad said, don't plan on feeling it, but w/ factory exhaust, you will hear the breathing difference

:drive:

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
k&n's + smooth tubes, best cost per hp gain avail on a gen 2, but like chad said, don't plan on feeling it, but w/ factory exhaust, you will hear the breathing difference

:drive:

Good to know, Filters shall be here soon! I will post some pics of this thing when I get it. Yeah not sure if I am going to install it, or hang it on the wall. And yeah I think it was listed for way over a year. I put in a offer for $30 and figured they would reject it but what do you know right!

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought K&N's had generally been shown as very poor filters from an efficiency standpoint? I guess not over here, but on the Vette forums there have been tons of posts, with studies of filtered particles, recommending against K&N. I was actually surprised to see mention of cotton/oil filters here.

Here's the report I read years ago, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-diesel-tech-articles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html

If it's been posted/seen/talked about before, I apologize.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure GTSRs came with that lettering on the airbox. Will still make decent garage art......

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're gonna have to be quite creative to dress up your stock intake with that. They are completely different shapes. DrumrBoy is right - garage art.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone had told me the s&b (I think thats them) filters were better with the smooth tubes than the k&b. I'd never heard of them but I'm sure there's not much difference if any.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, they didn't send you any of those helical fasteners with the integrated o-ring did they? (They're used to secure the top - your piece - to the base of the CF airbox). I have these airboxes on both 98's and am missing a couple of these fasteners....if you received any I'd make a deal with you for 'em.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx GTSR, I think I can make those work....if I can't find the H-ones I'll try them. I hate when I mix fasteners.....and for these you need a screwdriver or a dime or something I think.

Here's a pic of the ones that came with the box...they have a nice little finger tab so you can fasten and unfasten by hand quickly.

DSC_01321.JPG

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the string, but here's a pic of the CF airbox on a car. I think the piece you have is the top and forward piece of the 3-piece assembly.

DSC_01292.JPG

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx GTSR, I think I can make those work....if I can't find the H-ones I'll try them. I hate when I mix fasteners.....and for these you need a screwdriver or a dime or something I think.

Here's a pic of the ones that came with the box...they have a nice little finger tab so you can fasten and unfasten by hand quickly.

DSC_01321.JPG

just an FYI , i probably made that airbox lid 10 years ago, the fasteners are the type in the link but they may have changes the style/depth since then, the damn things are expensive no matter where you find them.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx; I think I'll buy one and see what I can do to mod it so its close to the others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang