Rattling windows. Any cure?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I have my windows rolled down maybe half way, the windows seems to rattle a lot. More the passenger than the driver's side.

Any cures for this? My windows when fully closed do seal the rain and water out.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete the ex glass guy here with a few thoughts about your noisy doorglass. The Viper, like many other cars, has a doorglass that is held by a front and a rear "channel" inside the door and two beltline weatherstrips along its length. Usually, this design prevents the glass from rattling when partially down, but in some cases, having the glass partially up or down allows the setup to move a bit and sometimes "rattle". If nothing is loose inside the door, and the weatherstrips are tight against the glass, there's not a lot that can be done with this except try to drive with the windows all the way up or all the way down. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's really more the nature of the beast and design. If you care to, you can always remove the door panel, put the window half way down, and grab the glass at the top and move it to try to see where the rattle is coming from. In rare cases, sometimes adjusting the "pitch" of the glass (the angle) a tiny bit can help, but not always. Hope this helps. Pete

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a chronic problem with most of the 96 GTS's. Bit surprised you have the problem. Dodge took care of it for me under warranty.
Suggest you pay your local dealer a visit.

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
When I have my windows rolled down maybe half way, the windows seems to rattle a lot. More the passenger than the driver's side.

Any cures for this? My windows when fully closed do seal the rain and water out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam:
With your exhaust there is no way you could hear a window rattle.
laugh.gif

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,

I have a 98 silver GTS too and I have the EXACT same problem. I took the passenger door panel off a while back when I put some new door speakers in my car hoping to find that the rattling problem was really easy to identify and fix but that was not the case at all. Like red98gts said, the design of the whole mechansim seems to be slightly screwed up.
frown.gif

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's just silver cars. Yeah, that's it. Here's another glass guy trick you can try if you want. Take the door panel off and have somebody drive. Sit in the passenger seat, since you said it's the passenger side that is noisy. Put the window half way down and listen for where the "rattle" is. Much easier to isolate it if you're sitting right there. Might help to have a strong flashlight (Maglite) with you. OK? pete the ex glass guy (with lots of experience fixing trunk leaks by being locked in the trunk with a flashlight while somebody hoses the car down!)

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 silver GTS is going in for the same problem within the next few days. It only happens when the window is all the way down. If I raise it so it is even or slightly above the weatherstrip I don't have a problem.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting Dynomat on the glass part where it doesn't come up inside the door. What do you think?

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time my 98 GTS side window starts rattling I know the front U-channel has again slipped out and is at the bottom of the door. This U-channel is held in place by a couple of staples that eventfully rip through the vinyl U-channel (that is why the U-channel keeps slipping out, its a cheap design). I have to remove the door panel to access the U-channel, feed it back into place, and this last time I tried using a little super glue to hold the U-channel in place, so far it hasn't slipped yet.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to say, perhaps because it was so obvious, to check those U-channels to be sure the insulating material is in place.
That can cause a huge rattling noise. If they slip down out of the piece that holds them, they can be glued back in with some GOOP, either the Household or the Plumbers....&gt;&gt;available at Home Depot and other stores. This stuff looks a bit like clear silicone but is much stronger....MUCH. Just a bit on the back of the piece, slide it in, and forget it overnight. It'll never come out. pete the ex glass guy