SCCA Runoffs at Road America

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't defend my title for Viper Nation, but that was truly one of the best races I have ever run. I can honestly say I drove the wheels off of my Viper. If the race would have gone the full distance, I may have gotten by the Porsche.

The "unfortunate" incident that Jim is referring to is an accident on the first lap that I was involved with, and to some people, I caused. Here is my in-car from that lap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9OBQCLUlA

I was protested by the BMW's crew chief, and the Steward of the Meet (SOM) ruled against me. I then filed an appeal, and the Appeal Court, after hearing my explanation, and reviewing my video as well as the track's, ruled in my favor.

Here is the rest of the laps I was able to capture (for some reason my camera stopped recording earlier than I wanted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NT13t0r23w

My best lap time was a 2:15.2xx.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody have any input on road atlanta on bad sections to be added careful to? no to change the subject

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the video, I can't believe how you reeled in the Beemer through the kink and you def had a good line and position going into Canada corner...its just good racing on your part and he turned into you. It seemed like the Viper just takes a bit longer for the tires to heat up and really work well. I can't believe how that Porsche pulls you on the main straight, and it looked like you could get him by late braking on T1, but he seemed to power through. Great racing. 2:15..that's smokin! That Viper of yours is unreal!! It looked like you and Porsche were the only two cars on the track in the second part of the race. Get him next year!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dave, nice run and good call by SCCA. It actually looked like he may have initiated a second block on you and then don't know where else you could go in Canada Corner after going up on the curb. Looked pretty evident he came back on you --- been there and you looked like you used all the course to avoid.

Heh, a First and a Second over the last two years is alot many would wish to attain -- you da man !!

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill, thank you for the kind words. This past week was a trying one for me and Kryderacing. The event was full of ups and downs.

Sunday was a test day. Third lap of the day I was under the track record. I didn't have my lap timer display turned on and I cannot hear my crew over the radio with this exhaust, so when I can in to the pits at the end of the session I was hoping I ran a 2:20 lap. I was pleasently surprised when I was told 2:17.000. That's an "up."

The next session I chased down a GT1 Corvette (tube frame 2700 lbs and 750+ HP), but then my motor started sounding flat. I pullained in early and the motor was certainly "off." It turned out after disassembly two camshaft lobes were wiped out. We have selected smaller diameter lifters (with adding sleeves to the block to accomodate them), and the lifter guides were binding the lifters and keeping them from moving up and down...not a good thing. So we pulled than motor and sent it back to Detroit and threw the backup in. That's a "down."

Monday's qualifying session was wet, so I watched as others put their car at risk. No one damaged anything, so that was good.

Tuesday was Q2, and all I wanted was to get "in the field." Again, I couldn't tell what my lap times were, so when I came back into the pits and was told "2:16.5" and that I was the fastest, I was thrilled. That counts as an "up."

Wednesday we decided to sit on pit row and see if anyone bested our lap time. Throughout the session no one can close, not within a second. With about 5 minutes to go I decided to pull the car behind the wall, and as I was turning off pit row my crew chief told me Scott Tucker ran a 2:16.4 to take the pole from me. That's a second "down."

I really didn't want to run that motor much more than needed. I was concerned about the stock bottom end lasting, and we were down to our last set of oil coolers, so if the motor let go we couldn't use them when we swapped the rebuilt motor.

Thursday we replaced the backup motor with the rebuilt one. The engine builder machined a new block for me and assembled a new motor using my rotating assembly and cylinder heads, and did it in 1 1/2 days. It arrived at Road America at 2:00 AM Thursday. By 12:30 that day the car was driving down the road en route to the chassiso to the following dyno. That's a third "up!"

We started the race in second place, but lost that spot at the start because "your's truly" selected 6th gear rather than 4th going in to turn one. Of well, I am not a robot. I did manage to catch the second place car fairly quick, but before the end of the first lap things went south in a bad way. We touched at Canade Corner. He spun and was t-boned by the fourth place Corvette. The driver, Joe Koenig, was taken to the hospital. I was watching him being pulled from the car while we circulated under Full Coarse Yellow. I was sick. Definite big-time "down."

The restart had me in second place, and I hounded the heck out of the twin turbo AWD Porsche of Scott Tucker for the remainder of the race. We were always within one second of each other. I did manage to sneek past him twice going into Turn One, but could never stay in front. The last lap going into Canada Corner I tried to outbrake him on an outside move. We both slid threw the turn, with inches seperating us.

If you go to SCCA, it shows this on thier website:

You must be registered for see images

So I finished second, not bad. That's first place in 2010, a Championship in NASA in 2011, and this Runner Up. Not bad. That's an "up."

I then was told I was being "protested" for the contact in lap one. I expected this, but when I watched my in-car, I felt this would be taken care of quickly and in my favor. Wrong. "Downer" big-time.

I appealed, and the appeal process was to uncover track video that showed me and the BMW side-by-side, which exonerated me. Huge "up."

So, I came home with the car in one piece. Now I plan my 2012, but before that I think I am heading to Daytona for the NARRA finale. I think I saw 69 entries for the race. Jeff Courtney was telling me about this today, and I am starting to get excited. I hope my schedule permits my attendance.

I am disappointed I wasn't able to bring home the SCCA crown to Viper Nation in 2011, but trust me, it wasn't for lack of effort.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some pictures...

You must be registered for see images attach

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Great work! Sorry for you that you weren't first but you did a great job. Both cars seemed pretty even with power, don't think he would have been able to pass your either if you got around him. If I didn't know the outcome I would have thought you'd get by him on lap 9. Sorry for the BMW guy, especially hearing he got hit by the vette. He was weave blocking and knew you had more power Seemed like he either wasn't watching the mirrors or didn't think you could out brake him? Thanks again for all the video's. Best wishes for the coming season Mike

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, Great work! Sorry for you that you weren't first but you did a great job. Both cars seemed pretty even with power, don't think he would have been able to pass your either if you got around him. If I didn't know the outcome I would have thought you'd get by him on lap 9. Sorry for the BMW guy, especially hearing he got hit by the vette. He was weave blocking and knew you had more power Seemed like he either wasn't watching the mirrors or didn't think you could out brake him? Thanks again for all the video's. Best wishes for the coming season Mike

The "word" on the street was the Porsche had 650+ at the rear wheels and weighed 3150 lbs! I was overmatched in the car area, and maybe even driving ability. Oh well, it's only racing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good luck at NARRA and Tucker is a pretty darn salty driver too, so considering you were hounding him with a car that weighed a bunch more and had quite a bit more hp, you should feel pretty damn good!!

Thanks for the write up and a 2:16 is a killer time!

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, awesome laps David!

What a close race, must have been a blast!

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50887

Koenig Thankful to be Making 2012 Racing Plans

TOPEKA, Kan. (November 22, 2011) – During the week of Thanksgiving, SCCA member Joe Koenig, of Glenview, Ill., has a long list of things to be thankful for.

Running in the STO race at this year’s SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America, Koenig was tapped from behind on the opening lap in his No. 70 DrywallArt.com/Hoosier/Fall-Line BMW M3 going through Canada Corner. While spinning, he was t-boned by a different driver with nowhere to go in an accident that looked serious from the start.

It was.

Koenig was transported to the local hospital with a laundry list of painful injuries: five hairline fractures in his left pelvic ring, a fracture of the sacroiliac joint, three broken ribs, four ribs separated from his sternum with a cartilage tear, five chipped teeth, a bruised clavicle and shoulder, and a severely bruised left femur with small tears in the quad muscle.

Amazingly enough, seven weeks after the injuries, Koenig reports that he’s almost back to full health.

“I’m thankful to be in good physical shape and a fast healer so my road to recovery was rapid,” Koenig said. “In the first week, I used a walker and didn’t go to work, the second I went back to work using a cane. By the third week I was cruising along and the fourth I was starting to sleep through the night. Now in week seven I’m very happy to say I feel 98 percent back to normal. Life is good!”

The 52-year-old knows that it wasn’t just luck that helped him get through it, and credits those that helped.

“There were some positives that came from it,” Koenig said. “The great care from safety workers at Road America, as they are top notch, wonderful care at Freodtert Hospital [in Milwaukee], having my family at my side, all the love that I needed from family and friends, and all the support from SCCA staff and members. I was in a Fall-Line race car that literally saved my ass and left me with many hairline cracks and not big fractures.”

Back to health means back to racing for Koenig.

“Unfotunately, I missed the T2 race later in the weekend and had one of the coolest cars ever built totaled,” Koenig said. “I am selling my T2 Porsche and using the funds to build another BMW V8 supercar, and am hoping to be driving it late summer of 2012.”

With the right attitude, Koenig will be back at Road America next September for the Runoffs. That’s something that all SCCA members can be thankful for.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62