Selling Cheap GTS

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a 99 GTS a few months ago and have not had the time to enjoy.

The car is a salvage title and has 39,800 miles on it. The accident happened at 900 miles in 1999.

It runs superb (compression tested all cylinders) and is in overall good condition. However the exterior is a little rough, it's safe to say it needs a paint job.

I am in FL and have decided to move to the west coast and sell off my cars and anything tying me down.

How much do you guys think a vehicle like this is worth? Looking to move it quickly without hassle.

Thanks

Last edited:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
$22-$24K. You can get a little more if you want to wait for the right buyer. Compression test at 135lbs is not good. You sure you did it correctly?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree on the compression and the price. Are you in he market for a GTS or something?

Each gauge reads differently. The fact that it was exactly the same on all cylinders leads me to believe the engine is in great health and never had a time where it was damaged or stressed. If the engine is warmed up and you have the throttle plates open it might make the compression higher, but consistency is the main component of the test. What compression #s does the factory manual suggest are normal?

I'd like to hear more opinions on the value, some comps would really help as well if anyone has examples. It's basically stock with a catback.
It has wheels but I'm going to sell it with stock wheels

Last edited:

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did my 94 at about 35,000 miles compression was 180 +- a little with screw in tester much more accurate than push in

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 135 reading on all cylinders means they have all rusted out evenly from sitting around for 15 years. The value of the car all depends on how badly beat up it is. If it is fixable, it would have some value. If it is just a parts car, it's worth much less. Picture will help get an honest estimate.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I compared compression with a friends car, whos numbers ranged from 120-135 so I am confident that the gauge and method caused the variance from 135 to 180. None of us know how long the car ever sat for unless we are the original owners. It could have been driven 1 mile per day or all 39k miles in the last month. I doubt the engine is rusted out, I've never heard of that on an operating vehicle with average mileage. I guess all of the Gen 1 and II low mile cars have rusted engines in your eyes.

Again the car runs and drives as well as any other Viper I've owned.

Would love to get a pulse from those who have bought or sold a GTS lately on what this would be worth.
Especially a salvage example, thank you.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss read your post, I thought the car has been sitting since 99, when it was totaled, anyway 135 is on the low side.

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Debating compression yet we have no idea what the car that needs a new paint job looks like. Can you post a picture(s)

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I'd bet my marbles the compression is not only good but excellent. I compared this with a friends GTS with the same gauge that ranged from 120-135, each cylinder was different...while mine was 135 across all cylinders.
very unlikely that we have 2 GTS vipers with 20 cylinders tested and the highest # we got is 135 when it should be 180. Obviously it's the method in doing the testing and the gauge.
The engines were not warmed up and throttle plates left closed and gauge rented from auto store.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The compression test tells less than half of the story. what you need to do is a leak down test. if you don't know how to do that or if you are in doubt of the engines performance take it to a shop that can do that for you.

With that many miles there should be no issues on compression leak down or internal engine issues anyway.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly, I am not in doubt of the integrity of the motor, that was everyone else who jumped on top

In fact, the throttle cable has an issue where the throttle opens only 60% of the way at full throttle.
I bought the car that way, I don't know how long it's been like that but if it's been that way for a while, then the motor might be in the shape of a much lesser mile motor.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say $24000 would be a fair deal on this car, for someone to have a budget to fix paint and possibly restripe to silver versus yellow (????) and other ends and odds….

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car looks nice, as far as the compression maybe you have a stingy gauge, like dyno's there can be a big difference.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have it liste on the alley for $28500 why are you asking what its worth??? Generally Salvage titles are at about 60-70% of what a non salvage title in the same shape would be. discounting a $5000 paint job, an average low mile GTS goes for high 30's to mid 40's. I would take 24-25K and be happy to get that.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have it liste on the alley for $28500 why are you asking what its worth??? Generally Salvage titles are at about 60-70% of what a non salvage title in the same shape would be. discounting a $5000 paint job, an average low mile GTS goes for high 30's to mid 40's. I would take 24-25K and be happy to get that.

i am glad to hear i am right on the money:2tu:

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Good looking car with the rims !! Not a huge fan of yellow stripe, but still good looking. Good luck with your sale !!

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A yellow car with black stripes is good looking, a black car with yellow stripes, YUCK!!!

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A yellow car with black stripes is good looking, a black car with yellow stripes, YUCK!!!
I disagree totally. I am not a fan of yellow cars so adding black stripes just makes me think of a bumblebee. Black in my opinion is a **** colour on a car so adding some yellow stripes makes it snap.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm......
A salvage title Gen 2 car with close to 40k miles asking somewhere between 24 and 28k?
Id say take the money and run if you get it.
For the buyer I would say just drive the wheels off of it. Why bother painting it? By the time you pay for a good paint job and whatever else you could have bought a nice NON SALVAGE vehicle.
From the pics I looked at the paint looked driver quality anyway.
Good luck.
BTW, why dont you check ebay or something for closed sales for gen 2 vipers and see what they have been actually selling for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4