Silicone radiator hose - not good!!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Daniel Lesser was correct on 1/14/06 when he said the smell of coolant permeates thru silicone radiator hoses. Based on the attached pic, I not only think the smell permeates the hose but that actually fluid permeates as well. Check out these little bubbles next to the clamp as well the the white lines where the seams of the hose are. This is not good.

The OE rubber hose is going back on this week. I don’t want a major failure while on the road.

I wonder if the (popular Viper) parts place who sold me this hose will give me some type of partial credit. You can’t sell a radiator hose that weeps coolant.

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Could the clamps be over tightened??? Easy to do with silicone hoses.

By the way, I have put Roe hoses on our two Gen I's, and our three Gen II's with no problems...and they have been in use for the several years at this point. Admittedly, I put the clamps on VERY CAREFULLY...rechecking them several times the first season to be sure that there are no leaks, no hose migration, and no damage.

OP
OP

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perhaps the clamp is on too tight but I also saw those bubbles coming from mid-way down the hose a while back but I don’t have pics. Nevertheless, I don’t like seeing those white lines showing thru the hose where the seams are. No matter what, this weeping hose is off tomorrow.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What is the brand of hose?? And, what are it's "specs"?

I can remember when we were ordering smooth tube hose from Samco in Wales that they furnished VERY explicit info as to intended purpose, temp ranges, fluid types, pressures, nunber of plys, etc.

OP
OP

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no idea who makes the hose but I know it was 5-ply. I could look at the ends and see the 5-plys. It’s generally accepted that 5-ply is rated for use as radiator hose. I guess not with this hose.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Disappointing result.

I do appreciate the heads-up...and, will continue checking our hoses regularly!!!