Spare parts shortage???

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard through the grapevine that spare parts such as body panels are becoming very limited and eventually there will be none left. Infact I heard that getting some spare parts is becoming very hard for some body shops.

Any truth to this? JonB? Tator?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given production ran to 2002 I'd find it hard to believe that any 2002 part would already be NLA.

The Wizard must know......

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a couple factory GTS covers from Chuck- he said that there are now only 19 left in the world. He also relayed to me how the accessory parts are the first to run out, then the body parts, and mechanical. Eventually, the parts will be as hard to find as those from the old muscle cars :( Which will always keep a solid floor price of around $25K for virtually any Viper as long as the main components are solid :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like there was a post where someone listed all the parts that one would get from a non wreck, donor Viper and the price they might bring.

As I remember it, the car was still worth more than the parts if one were to price the parts reasonably.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I thought there was a law saying that car manafacturers had to make parts for a certain amount of years there after?

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel rail in the intake manifold on my '94 recently developed a leak. While the cost of a new manifold would be covered by my extended warranty, there were none to be found. Finally, a remanufactured unit was obtained from Arrow Racing.

That raised my concerns about the availability of replacement parts.

As others have said, there will hopefully be a plethora of used parts for years to come.

Don

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that the company contracted with DC to make spare Viper parts was contracted to produce parts until 2005 or 2007 or so. However, they went out of business and just stopped production all together. The shop my car is getting some paint work done at said he has 5 Vipers in there right now because he's been trying to get certain parts for months and can't. This rather concerns me considering the rarity of our cars.

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are correct in saying a great deal of gen 1 parts can NOT be bought through Chrysler anymore. Since a majority of these are '92 to '95, I don't think Chrysler has to stock them anymore. Most suspension, interior, and some mechanical type parts are out of stock. Most everything for the gen 2 cars 96-02 can still be purchased. They have also superceeded many part numbers to the later years for some of the gen1 stuff where the newer part will fit, but is NOT exactly the same as the original on the gen 1. I specialize in parting out wrecked Vipers so you may want to keep my number handy for those hard to find parts! Paul Scharf 800 338 4002

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there was a law saying that car manafacturers had to make parts for a certain amount of years there after?

I believe it is for seven years. Thus Gen1 specific parts are outside of that time frame.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked this question before and did not get a response, but...

Can the VCA get the drawings/specifications and sources for Viper parts as they go "off-line"?

I realize this isn't the same as having a ready supply of finished parts, but it may at least give Viper owners a hope of one day reproducing original specification components, perhaps as a group buy.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's also important is saving the jigs/dies/molds for these parts. I'm sure that the contractors who made Viper parts squirreled them away for safekeeping. A decade or two down the line, it will be profitable to make them in small lots. There have been occasions where the molds for some products (like the old 40's Luscombe general aircraft) end up being donated to foundations. If the VCA lasts that long, they should be so lucky...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can bet that those with contacts at Dodge or the vendors that produced the parts originally are already making deals to capture the last available quantities and / or the tooling in order to support future needs, a la a Year One scenario.

Expect both the Viper tax plus the exclusive supply tax, but better than no availablity at all.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Future needs?
How many Gen1 and 2 cars were ever made?

I don't think that we will see anyone setting up any kind of aftermarket for replacement castings or forgings.

No heads, blocks, suspension parts, body panels.

It's just too expensive and the demand is too small.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper/low volume production tax is mice nuts compared to recreating a part without the original tooling and specifications.

Sure we could leave this to "somebody" with connections at Dodge. That "somebody" may also care enough about Vipers to one day, maybe, eventually offer parts.

However, I'd rather not leave it to "somebody". I'd rather see the VCA step up and ensure this stuff is never lost.

A dedicated Marque organization is exactly the kind of "somebody" we want in this deal.

Keep in mind, the VCA does not have to produce the parts, the just need to ensure the necessary specifications and tooling remain available for some future group buy, with either the original vendor or a substitute vendor.

Come on VCA. Let's not leave this to chance.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrkermode,

I agree with you completely, in fact mentioned that very same concept 3 years ago here on this forum. I wish it would happen, just don't think it will. In fact, it might be too late already.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper/low volume production tax is mice nuts compared to recreating a part without the original tooling and specifications.

Sure we could leave this to "somebody" with connections at Dodge. That "somebody" may also care enough about Vipers to one day, maybe, eventually offer parts.

However, I'd rather not leave it to "somebody". I'd rather see the VCA step up and ensure this stuff is never lost.

A dedicated Marque organization is exactly the kind of "somebody" we want in this deal.

Keep in mind, the VCA does not have to produce the parts, the just need to ensure the necessary specifications and tooling remain available for some future group buy, with either the original vendor or a substitute vendor.

Come on VCA. Let's not leave this to chance.

Please send this on to the incoming VCA President.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the aftermarket scene with Viper parts? Assuming you don't wreck the car, will someone be able to at least get maintenance parts from after market sources? I guess that is one nice thing about Corvette's (maybe the only?), is that the aftermarket for them is HUGE. You can pretty much get any part you need for any year. That would really stink if you pick up a Viper and a couple of years from now it ends up sitting in your garage because you can't get parts for it. . .

TDR

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
jrkermode,

I agree with you completely, in fact mentioned that very same concept 3 years ago here on this forum. I wish it would happen, just don't think it will. In fact, it might be too late already.

How do we raise the attention level within the VCA, this is a very valid point, some one must be willing to listen :confused:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Our National VP Rich Hamielec has been working long and hard to create a solution to this problem. Let me get him to chime in on this one.

What's also important is saving the jigs/dies/molds for these parts. I'm sure that the contractors who made Viper parts squirreled them away for safekeeping. A decade or two down the line, it will be profitable to make them in small lots. There have been occasions where the molds for some products (like the old 40's Luscombe general aircraft) end up being donated to foundations. If the VCA lasts that long, they should be so lucky...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi