SRS (Airbag) Discoloration on Photos?

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have noticed on a number of interior photos of Vipers (at least 01/02) the Airbag areas look to be a different color. First instinct is that the car was in an accident and these are replaced.... but the sellers assure me that it is either shadows or just the way the picture takes. I have noticed this on a few Vipers.... and a few guys here on the forums as well. I'm in the market to buy... so obviously trying to gain an understanding.

Is this common, and nothing to worry about? See the sample below.... you notice discoloration on the Airbag parts (where it does not match the color of the surrounding plastic). Since I have seen this in several photos... I thought maybe nothing to worry about? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In your photo, you will also notice that the leather on the wheel doesn't match the cetner....the radio bezel doesn't match the dash, etc. They are made of different materials, and simply are not a perfect match. In the car, they look fine. It's possible that flash has something to do with exagerating this.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 80% of the pictures I have seen look like that. I think mine even looks like that in person. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mark
:)

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger airbag cover looks like that too - does NOT necessarily mean it has been fixed.

If you look closely, it actually is a slightly different 'grain' or pattern than the rest of the dash.

OP
OP
J

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I took pics in my S2000, and same effect. Strange. It seems to be the flash that does it (or at least makes it most pronounced).

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It means the airbag has been removed, and replaced with a non-functional dummy one. Time to freak out and get pissed!

Heh, heh, just kidding. I just went out and looked at mine, and it looks like a different color from certain angles, depending on what angle the light hits it.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing on my 00GTS, the air bag cover and ashtray are a different shade of black (like very dark grey)
I also had the back driver seat replaced under warranty and the vinyl grain is a lot coarser than the original one
Luc.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too! My passenger airbag cover is a slightly different color at certain angles -- never been replaced. I wouldn't worry about it -- good eye though! ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96