Supreme Court CO2 ruling puts future of performance cars up in the air

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070418/FREE/70417001/1528http://javascript<b></b>:var n=1

Hold Your Breath
Supreme Court CO2 ruling puts future of performance cars up in the air
You must be registered for see images

By SCOTT KUDIRKA
You must be registered for see images

AutoWeek | Published 04/17/07, 2:05 pm et

Car enthusiasts are among those scratching their heads and wondering what the April 2 U.S. Supreme Court ruling defining carbon dioxide as a pollutant means for the future of cars and trucks as we know them.

The ruling came in response to a lawsuit brought by the state of Massachusetts against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for its refusal to regulate CO2 as a pollutant under the federal Clean Air Act. The ruling opens a can of worms, and in the end, no one can state how and when the regulation will be enforced. But rest assured, there will be regulation of CO2 emissions from the tailpipe.

The biggest irony is that three decades ago, when the Clean Air Act took effect, CO2 was deemed harmless. After all, it is what we exhale. Autos were permitted to emit CO2 as the natural byproduct of burning fossil fuels and from catalytic converters used to clean up harmful carbon monoxide from engine exhaust gases.

Since the implementation of the Clean Air Act, automakers have done a great job of producing efficient, powerful vehicles that emit far lower quantities of smog-forming pollutants. Yet now this very achievement is judged a failure, because regardless of how efficient a gasoline-burning engine is, it must always produce CO2. With CO2 as a pollutant, the only way to curtail its production is by reducing the amount of gasoline consumed.

Is this glorious news for environmentalists who desire the elimination of fossil fuels? Are enthusiasts damned to mere memories of performance? Enthusiasm does not equal a lack of responsibility. Automotive scribes, including those at AutoWeek, were writing about the need for smog-control laws and alternative sources of power as far back as 1974—in the darkest days of the energy crisis. They were right then, and they’re right now.

Today the most proletarian of vehicles benefit from previously unimaginable technologies that are now commonplace. The solution to future mobility lies in technology, whether in hydrogen-boosted gasoline engines, biofuels or other alternative methods of propulsion.

For now, all we can do is balance the environmental impact of a vehicle against its relative performance. And maybe try not to breathe so much.
Green or Mean?

The American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy lists these vehicles for 2007 as best and worst for annual production of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.
GREENEST
Toyota Prius—5 tons
Honda Civic Hybrid—6 tons
Honda Civic GX—7 tons
Honda Fit—8 tons
Honda Civic—8 tons
Hyundai Accent—8 tons
Kia Rio/Rio 5—8 tons
Toyota Yaris—8 tons
Toyota Corolla—8 tons
Toyota Camry Hybrid—8 tons
Hyundai Elantra—9 tons
Nissan Altima Hybrid—9 tons
MEANEST
Lamborghini Murciélago—23 tons
Bentley Arnage RL—21 tons
Bentley Azure—21 tons
Maybach 57S/62S—20 tons
Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab—19 tons
Lincoln Navigator—19 tons
Ford F-250—18 tons
Volkswagen Touareg—15 tons
Jeep Grand Cherokee—13 tons
Mercedes-Benz GL320 CDI—13 tons
Mercedes-Benz ML320 CDI—12 tons
Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI—12 tons

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy lists these vehicles for 2007 as best and worst for annual production of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

I disagree. Bicycles are defined as vehicles, according to the DOT. A bicycle emits far less pollutants than any vehicle on that list, as long as the rider hasn't eaten refried beans for lunch. :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree. Bicycles are defined as vehicles, according to the DOT. A bicycle emits far less pollutants than any vehicle on that list, as long as the rider hasn't eaten refried beans for lunch. :)

I think if you complete a full energy equation and you will find a bicycle is not an efficient mechanism based on CO2 usage. The engine (the rider) is a CO2 producer directly in proportion to the energy spent. You need a non-carbon based engine. Unfortunately humans are a carbon-based. Same for any other animals so the horse drawn carriage is out also.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you factor in the amount of pollutants produced to build as well as operate a motor vehicle as compared to that of a bicycle, it's not even close.

http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=368

As long as I'm posting this, I think I'm probably the only Viper owner in the world who owns a Viper but commutes by bicycle the majority of the time. Does anyone reading this know of any other Viper owner who pedals to work on a regular basis?

With me, it's not an environmental thing, I just like to ride. Plus, it's a great way to train for certain organized events I compete in during the summer.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:bonker:Tell Al Gore to fly over in his private/chartered jet with 4 people in it and tell a group of Viper owners not to waste gas or emit Co2

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you factor in the amount of pollutants produced to build as well as operate a motor vehicle as compared to that of a bicycle, it's not even close.

http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=368

As long as I'm posting this, I think I'm probably the only Viper owner in the world who owns a Viper but commutes by bicycle the majority of the time. Does anyone reading this know of any other Viper owner who pedals to work on a regular basis?

With me, it's not an environmental thing, I just like to ride. Plus, it's a great way to train for certain organized events I compete in during the summer.

I walk to work..my office is right here in the house. :)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, Our new Governor just got on the Co2 wagon also. What a crock. Just some more Global warming, political "not-for profit" crap. Another way to get a job for the useless. IMO The reasoning isn't to the facts according to most mainline atmosphereical scientsits.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The future of high performance isn't looking good. A few more years and it will be over forever. CO2,Global warming its just a matter of time, get um while you can.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or until current science is proven incorrect by future science. One can hope (it has happened before and each time the facts were always absolute).

Remember global cooling. Remember world oil supply to end in 20 years (circa 1978) ...

I suppose this will also mean a shift to environmentalists supporting nuclear power.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look at the total number of them produced and the prius(toyota) or any other even some other hybrids are probably worse when you take into consideration the nasty chemicals used to make the extra batteries and or electric motors

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
um, f-ing ********. CO2 is a biproduct of respiration. so, are people not going to be allowed to breathe now?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave