Testarossa and Viper comparisons?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the rims are so attached to the stigma of the TR. It is like changing the rims on a SAAB. It just wouldn't look right with aftermarket.

Just my thoughts. Congrats LW, I agree with Jon. That is a work of art.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the best view of the TR is from the back. That car has always seemed sooooo wide to me. The last time i saw a tr was probably 8 years ago, so maybe it was just wide for its time or is that car really wide?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love this part "The Viper feels as though your next mistake could be your last"

How true but it's also kind of cool too..don't mess with the Viper...

Sports Car International writes:

“The 348 Ferrari is more like a fine cutlass and the Viper more of a two-handed battle axe. You can dispatch your opponent with either one, but only the Viper can cleave his head off in one massive stroke”

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LW, this is a great post. I agree that there is something about the shift gate. Really feel like you earned it when the throttle blips on a down shift. Thanks for sharing.

My F car is 8 years your junior and I can say that the SRT is just astonishing in so many categories.

I remember when you were considering whether to go to the SRT from your RT/10. I notice that with the Copperhead, you've come down strongly for Viper ownership. The 12 cylinder boxer engine does get a bit more torque than the 355, so that closes the gap a small amount, but not enough to replace the Viper. If I didn't need a four wheel drive vehicle for work, I'd give a lot of thought to making a Viper my daily driver, and the Testarossa my "sports car" since I trust the Viper's reliability. I like the fact that you have the German mid engine, the F Car, and a new Viper. I've driven all three, and it is neat that you can fit a car to your personality on any given day. Now you need a Vette Z06 to round out the group!

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do give it credit for being a true exotic, but I think the GTS looks meaner and outclasses the Ferrari when viewed from any angle.

Is it as cool as owning a Ferrari? Probably not ...

Mike M

Thanks. That experience grows on you. You end up going down, putting up the engine cover, and just looking at the engine.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful TR. Any plans to put bigger rims/tires on the car?

A buddy of mine got one of the first of the 96 Blue GTSs when they were new, and only RT/10 owners could buy them. I remember thinking then that the GTS was great looking. I didn't buy one because I preferred the convertibles, which is still my question mark in owning the TR,whether I will miss the convertible too much.

I particularly liked the gas caps on the old GTS models.

From there, it is really a matter of personal taste. I loved the looks of my black 96 RT/10 with the silver stripes, personally preferring it over my SRT-10 (see picture of the dearly departed at the left).

But as a driver's car, the SRT was pretty terrific. Now you guys are making me start to miss mine.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful TR. Any plans to put bigger rims/tires on the car?

I'm told that the splined hub, single nut wheels can fall off the car if not properly torqued to 375 pounds, and that it is difficult to change tires. But I really love the look of the single nut. Yes, it would be nice to have larger tires with more choices in performance rubber, but at this moment, I like the wheels so well that I'm going to leave them alone. They seem to be part of this particular year's look, and I'm not tracking the car.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful TR! Gotta love a car thats 18 years old and still looks so new!

Thanks for your nice comment and that of F355. Appreciated. It is nice to be able to appreciate other marques, even while holding your own marque as the best. I've always preferred that to the "my car is better than yours" style of posting.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best view of the TR is from the back. That car has always seemed sooooo wide to me. The last time i saw a tr was probably 8 years ago, so maybe it was just wide for its time or is that car really wide?

The rear of the car is approximately two inches wider than the rear of the SRT-10 I believe at 77 inches. Someone might double check me on the width of the SRT-10 rear. Additionally, the car sits so low, that it accentuates the already really wide stance.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. that is one clean 18 year old car. looks show room condition from those pics. didnt they make it for a few years with only one side view mirror? brings me back to my miami vice watching days.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like we always said about that executive who used to leave his new Corvette at home and show up at the cruise nights with his SUV. If you're going to have a garage queen, may as well have a Ferrari.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like we always said about that executive who used to leave his new Corvette at home and show up at the cruise nights with his SUV. If you're going to have a garage queen, may as well have a Ferrari.

I find that with the Viper, even though I drove that quite a bit, I ended up putting less than 5,000 miles on it in the year I owned it. And I don't think that I was inclined to leave it at home. But between work, which includes heading onto dirt, or taking people to dinner, which involves more than two seats, or rain or getting stuff at the hardware store, etc etc, the SUV is more practical on a day by day basis.

The Ferrari is less practical, yet again, but I have put around 300 miles on it this week, which is about the same as I've put on the SUV. The primary difference I see is parking the car. I worried less about where I parked the Viper than the Ferrari. My Aikido classes are in a marginal area of town, and parking a Ferrari there seems like a direct challenge to locals to damage it, whereas the Viper seemed more acceptable to a wider range of people. People who resent Ferraris don't necessarily resent Vipers, despite the fact that the Ferrari I drive is very close in price to an recent SRT. That limits use a bit. And getting in and out, and maintaining attention is fairly critical in the Ferrari, and for that matter in the Viper. Neither is a "cup of coffee while I return calls on my cell phone" type of vehicle. So if I'm headed to a site a couple of hours from home, I'll take the Range Rover, where I can relax over some coffee, make some calls, and let the automatic do the shifting.

I think I need to be in the mood to "drive" in order to drive a Viper or Testarossa. In that sense, I guess the exotics do become "garage queens". But I don't buy cars as an investment, so the photos you see here are probably the best my car will ever look again. There are going to be rock dings, scrapes on the bumper lower, and probably some scratches in the paint, wear points on the leather, and so on, if I own it long enough (still a convertible top question for me)

So let me turn it around..... HOW MANY MILES PER YEAR DO EACH OF YOU ACTUALLY DRIVE YOUR VIPERS, AND HOW MANY OF YOU USE THE CAR AS YOUR DAILY DRIVER, REALLY?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful TR! Gotta love a car thats 18 years old and still looks so new!

Thanks for your nice comment and that of F355. Appreciated. It is nice to be able to appreciate other marques, even while holding your own marque as the best. I've always preferred that to the "my car is better than yours" style of posting.

Real car guys appreciate all upper-end type cars. Yes, Viper will always be #1 to me, but its like women. I've always been a butt man, but if a set of DD's walk by, yeah, im gonna notice and appreciate them :2tu: . Same with Viper vs. Ferrari vs. Lambo, etc. except I dont chase after every Ferrari and follow them around like a puppy :D

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me turn it around..... HOW MANY MILES PER YEAR DO EACH OF YOU ACTUALLY DRIVE YOUR VIPERS, AND HOW MANY OF YOU USE THE CAR AS YOUR DAILY DRIVER, REALLY?

Mine is a 2004 with 23,000 miles on it. It's a daily driver (when the weather is good which it often is here.)

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LW, this is a great post. I agree that there is something about the shift gate. Really feel like you earned it when the throttle blips on a down shift. Thanks for sharing.

My F car is 8 years your junior and I can say that the SRT is just astonishing in so many categories.

I remember when you were considering whether to go to the SRT from your RT/10. I notice that with the Copperhead, you've come down strongly for Viper ownership. The 12 cylinder boxer engine does get a bit more torque than the 355, so that closes the gap a small amount, but not enough to replace the Viper. If I didn't need a four wheel drive vehicle for work, I'd give a lot of thought to making a Viper my daily driver, and the Testarossa my "sports car" since I trust the Viper's reliability. I like the fact that you have the German mid engine, the F Car, and a new Viper. I've driven all three, and it is neat that you can fit a car to your personality on any given day. Now you need a Vette Z06 to round out the group!

You know me pretty well for a good on a message board! In my opinion the SRT is the best car I have ever driven. I'm not a racer so it is hard to differentiate between all of the cars at their peak of performance. Just a big kid who loves cars and fortuntate enough to explore my passion.

Again congrats on a super car!

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[ My Aikido classes are in a marginal area of town, and parking a Ferrari there

I

you might want to try a real martial art like brazilian jiu jitsu, just a suggestion

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven my Viper to work for years (but it's not a long commute), and drive most every day that there is good weather (about 10 months a year here). But I'll readily admit that this is an exception rather than the rule with Vipers.

There are many places where I won't ever leave the Viper, like the movie theater parking lot or some other area where it's going to be unattended for some time and not clearly under bright lights in a public place.

One point though is that if you do leave a special car like the Viper or a Ferrari in a mixed neighborhood there's a good chance that nobody will mess with it because the kind of person that would normally hang out in a seedy part of town and dare to leave an exotic car alone there would probably also kill any young punk who messed with it. :eek:

I was driving through a nearby affluent town a week ago and ended up behind a 512TR. I've always liked the TR, and the 512 TR is my favorite version of the model line (although it's twice as costly used as an earlier TR).

As we drove through town I was following right behind him, and really marvelled at how good the car looked, especially low and wide, still very unique and impressive after so many years. :cool:

But I was surprised at how many people shifted their gaze to my Viper after looking at the TR. Granted, it was painted an unusual metallic charcoal as opposed to the more striking Ferrari red, and I had my hardtop off (the best look for the R/T10), but I was still surprised at the attention given the supercar Ferrari in front of me.

After going through town he happened to take the same entrance onto the freeway that I was going home on, and I did get to hear that great V12 shriek. It's a wonderful, mechanical sound. It was however overwhelmed by my Corsa exhaust as I blew past him.
I figured that he wasn't going to bite, but I was actually more interested in seeing the raked side and sleek front of the TR as I passed. The driver was younger than I thought that he would be (early 30s maybe), and I gave him a thumbs up as I passed. :laugh:

I remember reading about needing to pull the engine on the TR for the 15K service, which usually costs around $7500, and the fact that Italian supercars were built more for high speed running than the kind of abuse that the Viper takes in stride kept me away.

Still, the Testarossa is and was an exotic supercar, and even figuring the maintenance costs it works out to about the same price as a new Porsche 911, but it's never going to be mistaken for anything common (except maybe as a kit car copy, from someone who doesn't know any different).

Your TR looks stunning, and owning a Ferrari is one of those things that only a tiny few people can ever claim in their lifetimes.

Enjoy! :2tu:

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[ My Aikido classes are in a marginal area of town, and parking a Ferrari there

I

you might want to try a real martial art like brazilian jiu jitsu, just a suggestion

The more time I spend in the martial arts the less I find myself trying to discern what a "real martial art" would be. For me, finding something that allows me to center, find a flow, and translates into an ability to re-direct hostile energy in pressure situations while remaining calm, is reward enough.
Again, for me only, prior activities of my youth, including American boxing, judo, and Shotokan Karate were direct energy breaking school events, which rewarded strict discipline and direct confrontation. They were good, but now I am older (55) As much as I enjoyed those, the flexibility, center, speed, and flow required for Aikido (and my absolute clumsiness at it, leaving years of room for improvement) are a consistent challenge to me at a different level than self defense. I hope that there will never be a time I need to defend myself at street level. The balance of this is for personal growth, and physical fitness. Having said that, if ever I could master one art, I'd be more than pleased to learn more arts. Is Brazilian JuJitsu your chosen martial art? If so, what most attracts you to it as a "real martial art" compared to Aikido, or any other art?

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we drove through town I was following right behind him, and really marvelled at how good the car looked, especially low and wide, still very unique and impressive after so many years. :cool:

But I was surprised at how many people shifted their gaze to my Viper after looking at the TR. Granted, it was painted an unusual metallic charcoal as opposed to the more striking Ferrari red, and I had my hardtop off (the best look for the R/T10), but I was still surprised at the attention given the supercar Ferrari in front of me.

The reason could be that you have a dead bang GORGEOUS RT/10 !! That blue with the stripes is a major winner IMHO. I would think that people would enjoy seeing the sensuous lines of the RT/10 right after the artistic angles of the TR. The 512 has more hp and torque than the TR, but currently runs around $30,000 more to buy. It was more than I could/would spend at this point. Funny though, I pushed the TR tonight getting on the freeway, and while the Viper and the TR would leave me behind, the push in the back from my TR seemed like speed enough. But I won't pick any races with any Vipers, trust me. :2tu:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice car! although I've never understood the allure of a Testerossa. Just looks kinda plain like a 84 corvette...

Buttttt, nice clean car anyways.. Enjoy!!

Now a Diablo or Merci, that's a diff. story ;) THose lines are more my style. IN YO' face! hah!

G

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 512M the last year or two of production are the ones to have. they are quite uncomfortable(for me). I have hit my head on the car getting in and out of them several times and the seating position and steering wheel placement make a viper seem ergonomically perfect. they are nice looking cars but thats where it ends for me. they are much more of transcontinental express than a sports car, too big and too heavy for much road course work.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your pics look good, but the TR looks sooooooo much better in person. The camera doesn't do this car justice. I've always wanted to own one myself....

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a nice car !
I too always dreamed about a Testarossa ...
But got a viper and I am proud of my car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper