Viper took a crap! please help

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys... wondering if you can toss up some opinions on what damage may have been caused... initially, when cranking over it would attempt to start then shortly after a clicking sound would begin... well I was thinking the starter is out... but here's where it got ugly, my buddy and I are trying to get this thing jumpin'... he gets a metal rod and gets it down by the starter to tap it while I crank the ignition... didn't work, well he has that metal rod down there and it must have touched something it shouldn't have with that starter (excuse my lack of better words) but the metal touched the starter actually caused the car to crank... but then BAP! smoke came up from the starter area, now the car is dead as a door knob :( no life.... besides F%$# it up, wondering specifically what we could have done? hopefully nothing tooooo painful!

thx for the help guys.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
battery and alternator were both 2 months old... but yeah, hind site is 20/20 for sure.... thx Chuck, just seeing if anyone might have some suggestions now...

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start by changing the battery like Chuck said. The fact that it was cranking the started clicking tells me battery is bad or cables are dirty at battery. More so the battery. It's possible it will then crank. If not check all the fuses with a test light across them. I'm not sure without looking at a wiring diagram if there is a main fuse link or if they use a fuse but sounds like a Main got fried. Test the battery then look for power at fuse box and to ignition switch.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A starter being bad usually does 1 hard click solenoid locked in or nothing. The clicking indicates there isn't enough Power/Amperage getting to the starter to hold in the solenoid to even spin the starter. Did you try to jump it at the + lug by the fuse box and the - to engine bracket?

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jumped it from the pos box, and grounded the the neg.... I will check the fuses and see what I got... thx for the starting point... much apprec.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Doesnt sound as much as viper taking a crap - but rather you and your buddy having a brain fart.

Clicking starter sounds more like a battery/cable issue.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...my buddy and I are trying to get this thing jumpin'... he gets a metal rod and gets it down by the starter to tap it while I crank the ignition...
Is that standard procedure for all cars or Vipers only? :buttkick:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte