Wheel Weight Question

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the stock 10 spoke rims weigh (each) on a stock 2003 Viper, with and without the tires? Thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Don't know the exact weights but they are very heavy wheels.

You can get the tire weights from Tire Rack.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the stock 10 spoke rims weigh (each) on a stock 2003 Viper, with and without the tires? Thanks

OEM 10 spokes are 60 lbs each for fronts and 72 lbs for rear.

Here is a link to a past thread on the subject that you may find interesting:
http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post745273

Forgot to mention, those weights include OEM tires. You can get the tire weights off the Tire Rack website and subtract to get wheel only weight if you want.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not right OEM 10 spokes w/ runflats are 34 lbs heavier than SRT-Sidewinders w/ runflats! This is first hand iformation from my own shipping weights. I have also been told there is only a 10-12 lbs difference between the runflats and non-runflats, i'm pretty sure whoever has been saying that there is a 10-12 PER tire is incorrect.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked on tirerack and the differnce between OEm runflats and non runflats were only 2-3lbs per tire,so a total weight savings on tires of only 8-12lbs FOR ALL FOUR tires,if you switch them out.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked on tirerack and the differnce between OEM runflats and non runflats were only 2-3lbs per tire,so a total weight savings on tires of only 8-12lbs FOR ALL FOUR tires,if you switch them out.

To see substantial weight savings on tires alone, you will need to go to a competition tire. Sport Cups weigh 30 lbs less than OEM (set of 4)..

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OEM WHEELS/TIRES & SIDEWINDER WHEELS/TIRES
76 lbs

Thats not right OEM 10 spokes w/ runflats are 34 lbs heavier than SRT-Sidewinders w/ runflats! This is first hand iformation from my own shipping weights. I have also been told there is only a 10-12 lbs difference between the runflats and non-runflats, i'm pretty sure whoever has been saying that there is a 10-12 PER tire is incorrect.

There's a shocker---Robbie the Expert posting bad info AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Sylvan's numbers are correct in my experience as well.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked on tirerack and the differnce between OEM runflats and non runflats were only 2-3lbs per tire,so a total weight savings on tires of only 8-12lbs FOR ALL FOUR tires,if you switch them out.

To see substantial weight savings on tires alone, you will need to go to a competition tire. Sport Cups weigh 30 lbs less than OEM (set of 4)..

Do they make sport cups in fatcory 18/19" sizes?? How are they for every day driving, traction,mileage etc.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do they make sport cups in fatcory 18/19" sizes?? How are they for every day driving, traction,mileage etc.

Sport Cups come in 18" only. I run 18x295 on the front and 18x345 on the rear. I actually like them better than OEM for daily driving. Much better traction (except in cold weather), better ride, better breaking and better handling. Wear is suprisingly good too. Only two negatives; 1. They don't like cold weather and will spin easily if not well warmed up. 2. They tend to follow ruts in the road more than OEM tires (probably due to the wider front). This makes the car pretty jittery on uneven road surfaces.

I have also heard good things about the Khumo V700s (also a competition tire). They are even stickier than the Sport Cups, but will wear quicker. The reason I chose Sport Cups over Khumo was tire size choices. With Khumo, you ether have to go with 265 or 305 on the front (Sport Cups come in a 295) and I didn't really like either option. They need to offer an in-between size, IMHO.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sport Cups come in 18" only. I run 18x295 on the front and 18x345 on the rear. I actually like them better than OEM for daily driving. Much better traction (except in cold weather), better ride, better breaking and better handling. Wear is suprisingly good too. Only two negatives; 1. They don't like cold weather and will spin easily if not well warmed up. 2. They tend to follow ruts in the road more than OEM tires (probably due to the wider front). This makes the car pretty jittery on uneven road surfaces.

I have also heard good things about the Khumo V700s (also a competition tire). They are even stickier than the Sport Cups, but will wear quicker. The reason I chose Sport Cups over Khumo was tire size choices. With Khumo, you ether have to go with 265 or 305 on the front (Sport Cups come in a 295) and I didn't really like either option. They need to offer an in-between size, IMHO.

Cool, thanks for the info. Since I already have the Sidewinder wheels,which seem to be pretty light,Im going to stay with a 18/19 setup. So I guess I wont save much for tire weight. I think I'll wait and try the PS2's due in feb. in our factory sizes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4