Wheels Can Start a Fire (STRANGE!)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I drove my car to work this morning, top down.

Got to work, set my briefcase down next to the car, and closed up the top. Went to pick up my briefcase and noticed there was smoke coming off of it.

????

I looked closer, and there were two bright points of light focused on the briefcase, like you get when you use a magnifying glass in the sunlight to start a fire. They were smoking and burning through the leather.

The wheels were acting like a solar collecting mirror, focusing the sunlight and reflecting it on my briefcase with enough intensity to burn through the leather. I've got two holes burned in my briefcase which prove I was not imagining this.

Weird!

And no, this isn't April fools.

Kai

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This has happened before! But I thought it was only on Gen2 rims, which have a distinct parabolic shape. Dodge incorporated this feature to burn holes in the tires of your competitor.
Use the "bling", Kai, use the "bling" -Obi Wan Kenobi

Do you have stock Gen3 rims, or aftermarket?

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has happened before! But I thought it was only on Gen2 rims, which have a distinct parabolic shape. Dodge incorporated this feature to burn holes in the tires of your competitor.
Use the "bling", Kai, use the "bling" -Obi Wan Kenobi

Do you have stock Gen3 rims, or aftermarket?

These were the stock wheels.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can also do the same thing to a car cover. Found two burn holes in my car cover and thought some punk was trying to torch the car. Some rims can act as a magnifying glass.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Happened to me while I was sitting on the ground in shorts working on cleaning my wheels except it was my leg that was smoking! :eek:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that happened to me and the wheels weren't even that clean after doing a 200 mile sprint, except it was a lost worse than a breifcase, I had put a crate of beer on the floor close to the wheel :)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I burned my leg by laying next to my R/T! I couldn't figure out what in the hell was going on!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
that happened to me and the wheels weren't even that clean after doing a 200 mile sprint, except it was a lost worse than a breifcase, I had put a crate of beer on the floor close to the wheel :)

I thought you chaps like your "crates" of beer warm anyway? :D