Witnessed Comp Coupe Testing Session

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have now had a few hours to think about what I experienced yesterday so I figured to make a post. I would like to thank those who made it possible for me to attend as I know these types of sessions are normally closed to the public.

Dateline: May 30,2002

Research and Development Testing of VGX Competition Coupe
Tire Testing for Comp Coupe Project.
Driver: Pro

As mentioned earlier I was fortunate to witness this test session and I can tell you that this is going to be a phenomenal race car. Since our local club holds two events a year at GingerMan, I have see what some of the top Viper (Days) drivers have turned at this track. The Comp Coupe program is well on it's way to being an awesome package. Using the times that a factory GTS-R turned at GingerMan in 1996 (albeit not under optimum conditions) I would have to say that the Comp Coupe is a fantastic deal. It ran all day with nothing more than multiple tire changes (part of the testing program) and a set of front brake pads. For all those VGX whiners out there, these tests were done with VGX stock pads and rotors (for now). I didn't even see a fluid change take place. Really looked bulletproof.

The numbers it turned was with a car that in reality has had only 3 test sessions. I would like to list off the proposed changes but they are confidential and just too numerous to list. There will be official announcements made on the CC web site so keep an eye out in the next few weeks. There will also be dates listed where you can see the car at upcoming events which hopefully are close to you.

I will mention that there are planned changes in the envelope of the car. Some might consider these changes major and others minor but, they will help with the overall aero package. At this point I will wait to see what questions come up and I will see how (and if) I can answer them. From what I witnessed, those of you who have a car on order, should be happy with the progress being made. I think there are many changes planned in the months to come, but the car is really fast right now.

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

I wish I could comment on the times but that is not my place. I am sure the performance numbers will be shown soon enough. I will say that it was quite impressive considering that it is just at the begining of the development process. This car had many off the shelf VGX parts. With the times the car posted I would have liked to have a comparison of it vs. the street VGX. My guess is that the 2003 SRT-10 will need to have it's own class next year.

Planning on participating in the longest day next week. I hope my knee feels better. Will you be at Rt66 this weekend? If so I will see you there.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report Rick. I predict times for the VRL front runners will be in in the high 25's / low 26's in two weeks. Since we have to run on DOT Hoosier tires, this is a huge restriction. I suspect a new Goodyear slick would produce lower times by 1.5-2.0 seconds at Gingerman. If I'm correct, that would put the current VRL car in the high 23's to high 24's on slicks. If the CC is in the 22's with Tommy Archer driving, I'm very impressed!

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosier Daddy, I saw it run all day long with nothing more than front pad change. After inspecting them they didn't look bad to me but, if they were going for consistant runs on each set of tires than maybe the driver wanted brakes to match the performance level in the morning.

I don't know what you mean about the 2 sessions? Is this a referance to the outing at Mid-Ohio? You need to remember that what was experianced there was a freak racing incident. That outing was not a good representation of the cars abilities. Also remember that it was not a test session. Really nothing more than an "Exhibition" run. I think that as they gather data (during testing) and they begin to address issues (which haven't been looked into yet) than you will witness a much higher level of performance. I am confident that when the package is done, it will be untouchable by the current GT-1 cars in Viper Days. Please note that this is my conclusion and no one elses.

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Steve is correct. The Competition Coupe will be at Skip Thomas' Viper days event this weekend at GingerMan Raceway. Since there will be a strong contigent of Series I and II owners participating in this event, it made sense to PVO to bring the car out. Others, who lived in the area but didn't make plans to attend, upon learning that the CC would be there, have since made plans to attend. All these customers will have an opportunity to take part in a question and answer session to get some facts from PVO engineers. It seems there is some inaccurate information floating about so, they will get to see, hear and touch an early development mule of the CC. More importantly they will see how it performs. There is still a lot of development to come but, at least everyone has the opportunity to see how it is taking shape. Hope to see you this weekend.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I waited at Midway all day and did not see you Steve, so I flew back to California

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom 2K:
I waited at Midway all day and did not see you Steve, so I flew back to California

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope thats a joke !!
eek.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte