Work-in-Progesss. New Hardtop from A.P. Engineering

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Work-in-Progesss. New Hardtop from A.P. Engineering

GREAT looking top!. Really fits the car.

Would a set of Autoform or other roll hoops fit under the top?

They should, but not certain yet.

Jeff

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nope – you can’t create the coupe look on a convertible. That’s where others fail in their attempts with hardtops. Other’s hardtops look like an after-thought and totally artificial. The lines on Jeff’s top integrate perfectly because they mirror the lines of the ragtop. It looks natural. The pics below show how different the roof line and side windows are on the convertible versus the hardtop.

You can’t make the convertible look like a coupe by just sticking on a roof. Jeff’s design doesn’t attempt to do it. His design integrates perfectly.

If you want bubbles, buy champaign (or a Viper Coupe).

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

29OUTLAW,

Well said. Thanks. Keep in mind DC did an OUTSTANDING job with the look of the gen 3 soft top. The crease line that is in my top was actually inspired from the sewing seam on the soft top because it adds so much to the look (more than people realize, I think). It was then moved over and refined to match existing car lines by my talented brother-in-law, Mr. Andrew (THE "FOZ") Foslien.

Great job DC.

Jeff

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love the profile of the new top, to me I like it better than the rounded top of the production coupe. Depending on the weight, yes I would buy one when it is available.
eagles

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really like it. The concept of a roadster hard top looking like a roadster top, not attempting to look like something else, i.e. double bubble, etc., is very appealing to my eye. My only comment is I'm not sure the indentation around the rear window or no indentation would look MORE appealing. Either way you decide to go, please keep me informed. If a roll bar that fits under the ragtop will be compatible with it; the rear window is of highest quality and/or replaceable; rattles and creaks can be kept to a minimum; and the fit/finish is high quality; I'll take one in black clear coat. Did I ask for too much?

Great looking top.
Larry

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The best looking hard top shape was the one on the carbon fiber concept SEMA car. This one is a close second.. Maybe you can look at that one for some styling cues??

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This top was styled after the soft top and the top you are referring to.

Larry,

The rear window will be flush mounted. Quality, of course, is very important and will be a very high priority.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all of your feedback. Before showing this online I knew that I really liked it, but I had to make sure you guys did as well. I am now making the molds. You should see a production version here in about 10 days.

Jeff

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You guys are being fooled by the fact that it is being shown here in black, which reminds us all of the rag-top. But I don't think it will look nearly as good when painted to match the car (as would be red in this case). ... Painting it to match the color of the car will show more obviously how it doesn't match the lines of the car.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

black may look good on a lot of the colors available, think Carbon Concept. Btw think a carbon fibre version might be available, Jeff?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are being fooled by the fact that it is being shown here in black, which reminds us all of the rag-top. But I don't think it will look nearly as good when painted to match the car (as would be red in this case). ... Painting it to match the color of the car will show more obviously how it doesn't match the lines of the car.

Not sure if your right or not, but covering it with black canvas, to keep the SRT/vert look would solve that issue.

Some say why have a hard top that looks like a ragtop?
1. quieter inside. Could have cloth or leather head liner.
2. more secure on track. Or so track owners feel it is.
3. It's a convertible Viper, keep it looking like one. IMO

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Carbon Fiber can be done. However, Carbon Fiber is not as available as it was 6 months ago. I've checked with three of my sources and all of them say I'd be lucky to get some any time soon. They say the military is taking priority on the available carbon fiber.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think so. Someone did a photoshop of it on the alley and it looks pretty good (although not as acurrate as the production version will be).

We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960