you won't believe this one.....

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you won\'t believe this one.....

Went to the a Viper drag event on Sat. here is So. Cal. After the event my wife and I were on I-5 headed north to LA. A green Eclipse came up beside us checking out the viper. A young guy around 19 or so was driving. The car was fixed up and he hit it a couple of times wanting to race. I do track events so I get the "need for speed" out of my system so I don't do it on the street. After he tried a couple of times to get me to run he settled for crusing along side and checking out the car. Got a big smile and thumbs up from him and his passengers. A minute or two later a pick-up passed us doing at least 85 or so (we were crusing around 70). The kid waved and took off after the truck. I told my wife I bet he was going to try to get the truck to race him.

They were maybe 1/4 of a mile ahead of us with the truck in the right lane. There was traffic in all the other lanes so the Eclipse tries to pass on the right shoulder. As soon and he tries to pull around the truck he hits the brakes and locks them up. About this time I see the reason why. There is a CHP car on the shoulder with a car stopped. The Eclipse keeps the brakes locked and slides at least 200 feet and hits the highway patrol car hard. He still had to be doing at least 30 mph or more. By this time we were about even with them and saw the hood crumple and airbags blow. The cop car was pushed into the car ahead of it. It was not bad enough for anyone to be seriously hurt but I am sure the cop wasn't too happy. All he had to do was get off the brakes and pull back into the right lane. I guess he paniced and just stayed on the brakes.

Couldn't believe we saw something like that happen. Needless to say we stayed under the speed limit the rest of the way to LA. I would hate to be the guy driving the Eclipse today.

Be safe out there, race at the track!!

Ken

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: you won\'t believe this one.....

Ken:

Thanks for the post/reminder. We should ALL paste a copy of your post on our foreheads <FONT size="1">(figuratively speaking - meaning bear it in mind)</FONT s> . I've had to "fight the feeling" so, SO many times on the road (must admit I can't always resist - and almost always...<FONT size="1">well...every once in a while
embarass.gif
</FONT s>...feel stupid after)...on the street IMO - IT's NOT WORTH THE RISK!

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt... The guy in the Eclipse was clearly suffering from testosterone poisoning. Unfortunately, this tends to drive up insurance rates for all of us. Hope they pull his license for this trick.

David

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The track is a wonderful way to get rid of all the aggression that may build up. It seems ever since I started participating in legal racing that I don't go crazy on the road. There is nothing that oan be accomplished on the road that can't be settled at the track. Thanks for the reminder!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Street racing has it's time and place...

Passing cars on the shoulders in traffic is a no no.. What a dumba$$, he got what he deserved...

Gerald

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21