ZMax?

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinions on Zmax oil and gas additives? (www.zmax.com)

I have some I used on my 3000GT and it seemed to give that car some extra "pep". I've had the car for 7 years, so I know when it has even "subtle" performance improvement. Like that feeling after an oil change - seems like the engine is brand new and has another 10hp.

I've heard all this stuff is crap and waste of money from some people. But like I said, it seemed to work on my 3000GT giving it some more juice.

Supposedly Zmax oil additive soaks into the metal to protect the engine. I'd like to use this stuff on the Viper unless I hear some objections. It's supposedly safe in any car, but the Viper is no ordinary car, so figured i'd ask here first.

Better safe than sorry, right?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey viperct2001,
I asked the same question in reguards to these type of products(duralube, Slick 50 ...), but received no responses. Either nobody uses them or aren't going to admit to using them. I have always used these in my cars as well, and thought they help(saw the idle increase 300RPM on one car). Haven't put it in the Viper yet though. I would like to hear from some of the track racers on their thoughts, good or bad. Anyone?

Mike

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On many occasions I have been tempted to use oil additives and finaly I did on my race car. No difference is what I found, absolutly none. All their claims are bs, just a way to make a quick buck on peoples passions.

2000 Steel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the Infomercial for ZMax for the first time last night. I also saw Carol Shelby's endorsement of the products (stating that every new Shelby Series One will ship with it). I was surprised that there was not more discussion about it here. I did a net search and discovered the following

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2001/02/speedwaycmp.pdf

It's an interesting read, including the following passage:

"Since at least May 1999, and continuing thereafter,
Defendants have maintained a substantial course of trade in the
offer and sale of the zMax Power System (“zMax”) -- a package of
three clear, beaker-shaped bottles of zMax brand aftermarket motor
vehicle lubricant labeled “Oil Formula,” “Fuel Formula,” and
“Transmission Formula.” The liquid in each bottle is itself clear
but tinged a different color for each “formula.” Each of the
three “formulas” consists of 100% mineral oil with no active
chemical additives."

John

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AS far as running better after an oil change, my car seems to run better after I wash it, vacuum it, and detail it!

It just feels better.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, realize that these companies are TOLD by the FTC to cease and desist the claims they were making... that's why they stopped the infomercials of Slick 50 and so on that made all sorts of wild claims.

Second, I know from experience that my car always 'ran better' when I did something like change the oil, etc. It is purely the placebo effect. If I never saw a dyno graph proving the claims, then they are meaningless to me. Take the oil out of *any* car and it will run easily for 200-300+ miles... the 'amazing tests' they do on TV prove nothing.

Third, although I am not a chemical engineer, my education is mechanical engineering and I have done a lot of study on lubricants, chemicals, etc. I think the claims that is "soaks into" the metal are absolutely BS.

Fourth, the way they try to demonstrate the products is what gets me... the one where they have a torque wrench putting a load on a spinning wheel.. that test is so easy to fake and so non-representative of what happens in a car engine it's borderline humorous.

If you insist on putting this stuff in your engine, more power to you - but realize many of these products have been shown to be more harmful than beneficial... like the one containing chunks of teflon that would clog up the oil filter.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Second, I know from experience that my car always 'ran better' when I did something like change the oil, etc. It is purely the placebo effect. If I never saw a dyno graph proving the claims, then they are meaningless to me. Take the oil out of *any* car and it will run easily for 200-300+ miles... the 'amazing tests' they do on TV prove nothing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume that this is under a no-load condition, but I wouldn't think the motor would last 5 miles let alone 200-300 miles with no lubrication.

Mike