02 water pump gone bad photos

wiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad pump is out. Took some pics for anyone interested in how these things fail.

Attachments

• Pump 3.jpg
    Pump 3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Pump 1.jpg
    Pump 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 112

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a "spinning on the shaft" failure? (I can't tell exactly what I am seeing in that photo. - melted plastic? ) What were your symptoms?

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Symptoms were temp increase after short hard acceleration. Once it got hot it would never cool down even 6th gear at highway speed. Next day it would be fine until you got on it again. I had thought this problem went away with the 01's. Chuck set me straight. Shaft starts spinning under hard acceleration and starts melting the plastic of the pulley. No waterflow in motor after this happens. Once it cools all the way down plastic would grab until hard accel again.
Had me pretty confused, thought I had a stat not working right, changed that, not needed however.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting....filing these symptoms and fixes away for future reference is really valuable. I can imagine going through alot of hypotheses after experiencing the "intermittent-type" issue of works in the morning but not after hard accel.....hope it doesn't happen to me but if it does, I'll know.:usa:

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The intermittent end of it truly sucked.
Finished the power steering pulley and bracket yesterday. Hope to have it all done this afternoon. Power steering pulley very stuborn to get off FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc