2 Dead in Viper Crash: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 killed in single vehicle (Viper) crash in Huntington Beach on 3/21/10. Found it in the Orange County Register online. The driver was a Sheriff's Deputy. Bummer.

Flash

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad news indeed. Prayers for their family and friends. The weather is starting to get better in the northern states, and people will begin to bring their snakes out. Everyone please be carefull.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Above the law or not, speeding tickets or not, he's a Viper brother who lost his life and will forever affect the lives of countless others including his 3 kids. No one deserves that.

RIP Terry and David.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another 2 deaths, who will it be next month? Yes, I have broken speed laws but many[not all] of these horrible accidents wouldn't happen if the driver spent some time at Viper Days or other driver school getting comfortable with 500-600 HP. Just my 2 cents; my prayers to the family; terrible, just terrible.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad story, and a sobering thought as we get ready for the driving season. Be careful out there, everyone.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another 2 deaths, who will it be next month? Yes, I have broken speed laws but many[not all] of these horrible accidents wouldn't happen if the driver spent some time at Viper Days or other driver school getting comfortable with 500-600 HP. Just my 2 cents; my prayers to the family; terrible, just terrible.

And you know for a fact that he HASN'T been to a Viper Days or other driver school?

Time to let the speculation rest.

Ron

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper days won't replace common sense. Stupid is as stupid does.
This guy was as dumb as the California State highway patrol officer that killed his family in the Toyota with the stuck gas pedal, he had time to call 911, but did not know how to turn his car off or put in nuetral.:rolleyes:

R993

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PittsS2B - You really don't have an idea as to what happened or what went wrong (maybe mechanical or tire blow out...)so your statement about the fellow is way to harsh. Not rationalizing speeding on the street but who knows exactly what happened. If anyone hit a tree that size at even 40 miles an hour head on, it would be a mess and easy to state high speed was the cause. Once the details come out (if they ever do) you can be the critic again.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is very sad,

I’m serous when telling people who want a ride that if they are ready to die I can give them a ride and I cannot guarantee we will make it back alive. It aint no joke. Even if it is family. My wife is afraid to ride with me. I really try to chill out when she is in my car. Actually I can’t believe I am still here now.:(

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PittsS2B - You really don't have an idea as to what happened or what went wrong (maybe mechanical or tire blow out...)so your statement about the fellow is way to harsh. Not rationalizing speeding on the street but who knows exactly what happened. If anyone hit a tree that size at even 40 miles an hour head on, it would be a mess and easy to state high speed was the cause. Once the details come out (if they ever do) you can be the critic again.

Why do the wrecks always seam to be steered to the left? Makes me wonder about the lower A-arm cracking. I'm always looking at mine. This worries me.

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree. Did you look at the pictures?
He did not hit the tree at 40 mph, he hit it with the passenger side of the car and wrapped the frame around the tree. This can only be done at a high rate of speed. For the driver to also die, he had to be traveling at a high rate of speed.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, he was moving when he hit. I lost control of my ZR1 at about 95mph, got it down to about 20mph before I left the road and hit some trees. I immediately went to Skip Barber after that and learned exactly what I did wrong. It is very unfortunate that these gentlemen will not have that chance. They will be in our prayers, RIP.

martyb

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These accidents should remind us to be careful and respect our cars. I am almost certain that almost every viper owner has hit it to impress someone. We just need to be careful out there and not only watch out for others, but especially ourselfs.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A kid could of ran out, a ball, a dog anything. It is a good reminder. And should be posted maybe it will stick in the back of someones mind. If they had kids that is really sad. Prob a good idea to stick a picture of your kids on your visor as a reminder.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Being comfortable with 500-600hp? While I agree taking an HPCC or driving school "might" lessen the chances of something like this happen, it is also highly undoubtful that it will keep these things from happening.

Stupid people can kill themselves and others with 100rwhp, they don't need 500 or 600. Hell, a stupid person can kill themself in a bicyle. I am not calling anyone stupid, simply stating the obvious.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter what the circumstances were, it is absolutely horrible when people lose their lives.
I live very close to the accident scene and drove by the scene the following day.
It was on a 3 lane (each direction) major road which is divided by a wide curbed greenscape. Highly unlikely that a kid ran out in front of his car. There were NO skid/tire marks which would suggest burning out or that the car was in a full spin. The only black tire marks were the ones that went up the curb on the center median and marks in the 15 - 20 feet of grass before hitting the tree on the passenger door. It is a 45mph zone. Almost all cars drive that section somewhere between 45 - 55 mph and it is hardly "hi-speed" when put in that perspective.

Speculation is generally biased or based on unsubstantiated facts. I don't know why he lost control, but the result was the loss of life and that is not replaceable.

Every time we get into the Viper or any other car for that matter, I can only hope that members of our Viper family are safe and are not thrust into this type of situation.

Be safe out there.....

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very very sad. My prayers go out to the 3 kids and the wife he leaves behind. None of us think we're never going to see our families again when we get in our cars....maybe if we did, we'd be reminded to slow down and be safe.

Criticizing him won't change anything and really isn't productive to any end.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad indeed, again, another example of knowing what to do when in a Viper. I am well aware of accidents with trees, that is something you really don't want to hit...trees rarely give.

Sad for the family.:(

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*****:-(

Very sad. I never give people thrill rides on the road. I'll give them a little taste maybe but if they want the whole package they need to buy one or take it to the track.
These cars bite hard.

Even at the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang