2008 ACR

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
""The ACR was the fasted around the track out of every other car tested there, (ZR1, Z06, 911, 911RS, Gallardo, Gallardo Superlegera, and 08 Viper)Not only was the ACR faster around the track, the second fastest was the 08 Viper. The 08 also beat everything else out there except the ACR!:headbang:""

...So, the regular '08 beat the ZR1??? That would be GREAT.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea they had the ZR1 in the same edition of the magazine but it was not part of that article .. i read it while i was at wallgreens yesterday waiting on a prescription

Mopar_4_u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there, infrequent poster but very, very frequent reader. I had this in another thread but got no responses. You folks are my "inside scoop" for all things Viper as corporate is, well, corporate. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this but I was informed by my Regional Manager (I'm not sure how informed they are) that ACR's have a "Job 1" of August! I'd believe that if it's an '09 model but if that is for 08's I'm baffled. Our ACR went "D" 02/25/2008 and that is the last update. D1 is fine and all but it can linger there forever and I know that the normal channels for tracking are pretty much thrown out the window on these cars. Our first 08 here (Venom Red, Black Stripes, gorgeous combo) (Ordrered in May 07, "I" status first week of November and went "KZ" end of Feb.)sat in KZ for about 2-3 weeks and then we got a call from the trucking co. one day that he'd be here in about 4 hours! No other shipping updates were ever provided. If there is a "guru" out there that has some more info on the ACR's I (and I'm sure my customer) would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:headbang::2tu::headbang: Mine went E Status today. Woo Hooo! Thanks to Willie Da P for letting me know! It would appear they are finally rolling. See below for status codes. Once they break out of D it's all good. I think today was the day! Not so much later from what they said either.:2tu::headbang::2tu:

UNSCHEDULED
  • BB - fleet order only - review by bid department
  • BD - special equipment processing
  • BE - edit error - coding error which must be corrected before order can be considered for scheduling
  • BG - order has passed edit, but cannot be scheduled regardless of priority or sold status
    • F - Financial hold
    • B - model or option
    • B - build out
    • L - material restriction
    • M - material hold (fleet)
    • BX - good order available for scheduling
SCHEDULED
  • C - tentative schedule
  • D - firm schedule: serial number is assigned, appropriate time in station (5) working days
  • D1 - gateline: plant has sequenced the unit for production, estimated ship date assigned, approximate time in station is (12) working days
BUILD
  • E - framing
  • F - paint
  • G - trim
BUILT
  • I - unit is built pending final inspection
  • J - vehicle has passed final inspection: but not released to carrier unit requiring vendor work (sunroof, special package, etc.)
  • JB - shipped to body vendor
  • JE - shipped to emissions
  • JS - shipped to storage
  • KZ - released by plant and invoiced

Thats Awesome news Lee, and a great color combo to boot:2tu:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW "mopar 4 u" was in I status for four months and kz status for 3 weeks......that dampened my day

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has a ACR been finished yet? Do these go to the Jobber for the drivers stripe? Mines in D status with a VIN.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told today that a spot in the first ten will most likley be done before the end of the year. Doesnt sound good.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I admit I didn't research this at all before posting, lol, but, has anyone received an '08 ACR yet? I'd love to see some more pictures (other than the stocks)

Only PVP Cars have been FINISHED, not for retail sale. And YES, some of those are 2009!

5 ACRs are built or semi-built now, beginning to trickle to Prefix this week for aero. Most are black. My vin is in there somewhere...... NO ACRs are in customer hands, unless the RAFFLE CAR was delivered and I missed it........

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far it seems that the only way to get an ACR is to win one in the VCA raffle...:(

Ron Wellington, you are ONE LUCKY GUY!!!!!!!:D

Begs the question, does Ron have his ACR yet or is he also "waiting" for his?:dunno:

Phil

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only PVP Cars have been FINISHED, not for retail sale. And YES, some of those are 2009!

5 ACRs are built or semi-built now, beginning to trickle to Prefix this week for aero. Most are black. My vin is in there somewhere...... NO ACRs are in customer hands, unless the RAFFLE CAR was delivered and I missed it........

what is PVP?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
what is PVP?[/quote]

Pre-Volume-Production

"Mules" that Dodge builds to basically test and THRASH, not to be sold. Some do end up as exclusive show cars and MIGHT get sold. Pretty rare. CAAP is often CLOSED to tours when PVPs with any new details are on the line. (The recent 25000 Viper event might have revealed such "scoops" if not for close security......)

There are some pretty solid statistics to show that each MY (model year) has 15-35 such PVP cars built EARLY on for real-world testing by engineers and execs. Some 2009 ACRs are being spotted now......

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little confused, are they building both 2008 and 2009 ACRs now, are the years color dependent? According to Bill P. all ACRs being build now will be 2008s.

Mopar_4_u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was informed this morning that Prefix does have one ACR in their posession. No VIN was given, sorry. I was also told that it would be about a month before they really get rolling on them as Dodge is "hording" them to complete inspections. Although the ACR's usually run about 200 units for total production, this number may be a bit ambitious as it's so late in the model year already. Not really the news I wanted to hear but it does substantiate the rumour that production has commenced. Will update when possible.

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that this article is from Top Gear's magazine from a couple months ago, but here it is for those who didn't have access to it:

Dodge Viper ACR feature - Edge of reason - 2008 - Features - Top Gear

The guys from TG usually bash American cars, but they praised nearly everything from the ACR. And regarding the ZR1 vs ACR, this pretty much sums it all:

"But having driven this big new Viper, I'd say the new 'Vette better have something very special up its wheelarches or this is one war, on the track at least, it could very easily lose."

That being said, I have absolutely no idea why Dodge built such an incredible machine and probably won't advertise it...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.......That being said, I have absolutely no idea why Dodge built such an incredible machine and probably won't advertise it...

Dodge has NEVER adverstised Vipers.
They have occasionally used a Viper in an ad for their product line, but NEVR an advertisement to sell Vipers, ever.

Why? They get all the advertsing they need for FREE, and they (almost always) sell all the VIpers they have capacity for.

P.S. If you re-read my post more ssslllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyy about the 2009 ACRs that are built, they are (3rd times a charm?) PVP cars. The PRODUCTION (retail sale BillP) cars now being built 2 at a time are all 2008s. The 2008 new orders for ACRs are sold out, and some few might even be carried forward as 2009s

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was informed this morning that Prefix does have one ACR in their posession. ................... Not really the news I wanted to hear but it does substantiate the rumour that production has commenced.

HEY! If you move earlier in this thread you'll see I informed all here a couple days ago that several were built, and trickling to Prefix this week. I dont post rumors!

Production commenced much earlier, for PVP cars.

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has NEVER adverstised Vipers.
They have occasionally used a Viper in an ad for their product line, but NEVER an advertisement to sell Vipers, ever.

Why? They get all the advertsing they need for FREE, and they (almost always) sell all the VIpers they have capacity for.

I meant advertisement for the company, not for the car. This might be the only halo car that is a rolling advertisement for the competition ("Hey, is that the new 'Vette/Z06/ZR1?"). The average Joe doesn't know that it's a Viper, much less a Dodge. And after all, I really doubt that Ford did the Ford GT Superbowl ad JUST to sell them, when the last line was "The pace car for an entire company".

The SRT folks are pretty confident that the ACR will trump anything else on the track, and they usually underrate their products. Shouldn't someone else (besides us) know about it? That would be a good way to tell the market that Chrysler can still make competitive products when they want.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant advertisement for the company, not for the car. This might be the only halo car that is a rolling advertisement for the competition ("Hey, is that the new 'Vette/Z06/ZR1?"). The average Joe doesn't know that it's a Viper, much less a Dodge. And after all, I really doubt that Ford did the Ford GT Superbowl ad JUST to sell them, when the last line was "The pace car for an entire company".

The SRT folks are pretty confident that the ACR will trump anything else on the track, and they usually underrate their products. Shouldn't someone else (besides us) know about it? That would be a good way to tell the market that Chrysler can still make competitive products when they want.

Nobody, and I mean nobody,is going to mistake an ACR for a Vette.:headbang:

Mopar_4_u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEY! If you move earlier in this thread you'll see I informed all here a couple days ago that several were built, and trickling to Prefix this week. I dont post rumors!

Production commenced much earlier, for PVP cars.
Wasn't implying that you had posted rumours Jon. There has been alot of talk between customers, dealers and others, here and elsewhere, that it's been next to impossible to nail down an offical "Job 1" date on the ACR. PVP cars don't really help to ease the anticipation of those fortunate enough to have a car like this on order. I've been told that regardless of any particular car's current status (BX, C, D, etc.) this still does not confirm the order being fulfilled. So, our customers can drop all the deposit money they want on this car but until we see KZ or better on an order it's a crap shoot. Your info is always appreciated and my $0.02 I thought was only reinforcing what you had posted.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
does any one know when they stop building for a model year?[/quote]

By legislative rule / law, 12/31/XXXX. The car does not have to be completed, but it must have BEGUN on the line....

But a BIGGER force is at play: UAW CONTRACT ! When the C.Y. is over, so is the MY.

I think the Holiday break begins earlyish December, til Jan 5. (estimate)

It is also possible due to order volume that extra work days in Dec may be planned, to minimize the # of 2008 orders carried over as 2009s. As Mopar4u sayz....til it goes KZ, it could become an '09, or vapor (not Viper.) But once a car hits D, it is virtually unheard of that it cancels unless by some dealer action.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang