2011 Texas Viper Round Up

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got an email from Houston VCA with all of their own alternate events planned. Seems pretty $hitty to me to not support the hosting VCA club regardless of what they are planning. Scheduling a "live music" alternative to the movie? I guess i just dont understand what the big deal is. Seems to me like Tiff is doing his best.

Support the guy and make changes for next year.

Last edited:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got an email from Houston VCA with all of their own alternate events planned. Seems pretty $hitty to me to not support the hosting VCA club regardless of what they are planning. Scheduling a "live music" alternative to the movie? I guess i just dont understand what the big deal is. Seems to me like Tiff is doing his best.

Support the guy and make changes for next year.

Come on now. At best this mischaracterizes the intent of the message. Houston VCA was proposing 1/2 a day of activities on Saturday that their members might find more appealing, not a total alternative for the weekend.

So those members that find 1/2 of what is planned unappealing should just not go or shut up and tag along? The Houston club is trying to up the show rate for the entire event among it's members by possibly planning 2 alternate activities that might convince many of those with vocal feedback about Saturday's events to change their minds. I'm probably not going either way but in my opinion it's far from $hitty to decide to spice things up for some of the club to try to get them to show up for the weekend. An increased count at 2/3 of the event by a good number of cars that disappear for 1/2 a day is better than them not going at all.

My solution was more passive and less likely to bend noses (kick back at the bar, go for a cruise on our own or just not go because the schedule isn't appealing enough) but I can see why H-VCA is trying to respond to the feedback it received from many of its members that have attended in the past and decided to sit this one out. This is a no win situation. If the six or seven folks that decided to go but come up with some other activities didn't share their intent before hand some Houston members would complain for not being included (I am not discussing the 'live music event' but the driving events proposed, 2 for the record since among Houston folks the views as to what to do on Saturday vary). Get 10 people in a room together and someone will have a problem with the color of the walls.

I'm already tired enough of the drama that I'll probably just hit MSR-H that weekend.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We'll agree to disagree.

The intent of the message is pretty clear. If we get what we want we'll show up, if we don't, we won't.

Just doesn't seem like a good attitude in the long run.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll agree to disagree.

The intent of the message is pretty clear. If we get what we want we'll show up, if we don't, we won't.

Just doesn't seem like a good attitude in the long run.

Wow, Okay. We'll agree to disagree. I for one think you are painting with a broad brush from the sidelines and being pretty flippant about it. I personally don't like the solution to the problem either because I saw this coming and was concerned about the unthankful guest aspect of it but admire the attempt to actually solve it rather than have only a handful of folks from Houston show up, even if the solution is flawed. There is often a difference between how you solve a problem personally and how you try to solve a problem for a larger group with divergent interests.

So the folks that broke off from the group the last two years and came up with something else to do for an activity or two because they didn't like the schedule were poor guests? They merged back into the group with no fanfare. It hasn't been an issue before. :dunno:
As for not showing up due to the schedule being shortsighted and having a poor attitude: people will continue to vote with their attendance to events with their time off. Just like you chose to do with your free time. If you deem it a poor attitude, you're entitled. :)

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the the people that have been to the Round Up in the past were looking forward to the great drives that have been put together in the past not trying to diss the event, we want to show up in support, just some alternative to the schedule for us. When we heard of the approximant dates we made sure we were available, not knowing the plans and hoping for some of the same. I guess we could just make the best of it or just not go. (If you invite a group to the beach then take them into town, some might just want to stay and enjoy the beach.) To my understanding we are splitting into groups for the scavenger hunt and meeting back up later anyway. We are not asking them to change their agenda just be understanding with the people from out of town who would like to enjoy the country roads. just my 2 cents. Have a great weekend

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"painting with a broad brush from the sidelines", lol that's only slightly condescending. I was the state events coordinator for Maryland for 3 years with Corvette forum, and planned events that handled groups that were exponentially larger than the H-VCA. Just understand how frustrating it is for the host and organizer of the event when others choose to tailor the events to suite their needs.

Personally I'd like to see the event on a rotation between the Texas clubs to offset the burden of responsibility and planning in the future. In the present though I want to support Jason and our hosts.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"painting with a broad brush from the sidelines", lol that's only slightly condescending..

You earned some when you decided that everyone who decided they didn't want to attend had a bad attitude and were short sighted. That will be a long list of members I respect. Can we say the same for those that don't attend other VCA events? The logical conclusion to that line of reasoning is a slippery slope. I didn't pull out the brush, you did and you painted me with it since I am one of the many that have decided not to go for the first time. I am not the condescending type nor thin skinned but don't mind pointing out you laid on a heavy slab of it yourself and doubled it by implying I'm the one judging here. I also think you do not see the fact that I am playing devil's advocate regarding the flawed solutions being offered. Part of the reason I'm not going is because as I implied before I agree with your conclusion.

As for your resume regarding event organization, then you already know there are always the back benchers that complain regardless of how things are organized. There seems to be a lot of them in the VCA. Maybe I am not communicating the subtlety of my points effectively regarding the round up. Your position is one I understand and agree with in terms of respecting the host. Placing myself in the host's position the biggest issue here is instead of making plans and going off on their own unannounced this group decided to do so in a public fashion and offer the option to others.

I agree with rotating the event or getting multiple regions to plan it. For the long term health of the event it is in the best interest of everyone involved for that to happen. For the record the previous Round Ups have been fantastic and the Central Region has done a great job with it.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of 9:45pm tonight, rooms still available and I'm booked. Can't wait to meet other members and put faces with user names/avatars!

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a couple rooms too. Still a few availible but going quickly. I know everyone is waiting until the last minute like last year, but last year there were also about a dozen folks who found no room at the inn... We found them a place as close by but it did not have the same security or freebie's as the OMNI.

See you all there!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATES:
1.) Reservations can be made at the Omni on Governor's Row in Austin until 5pm on March 22nd for the Roundup.

2.) There will be no movie.

3.) A drive is replacing the scavenger hunt.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a current schedule for events that we can count on for times? This has gone so many directions in the last month or so that I'm hesitant to plan around anything that has been posted as it may have been revised. I'm heading down there tomorrow evening and am definately participating (room is all ready for me and Tiff is letting me watch pay-per-view movies for free in his room on Saturday night ... PARTY in Tiff's room! :) ).

I'm just looking for Friday's kickoff time for going to ART. Anybody know?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a current schedule for events that we can count on for times? This has gone so many directions in the last month or so that I'm hesitant to plan around anything that has been posted as it may have been revised. I'm heading down there tomorrow evening and am definately participating (room is all ready for me and Tiff is letting me watch pay-per-view movies for free in his room on Saturday night ... PARTY in Tiff's room! :) ).

Pay Per View eh...I might be down for that if Tiff is paying...is that for all rooms??? ;)

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure about the hotel departure time to ART, but the party at ART starts at noon from last email I had. I'm driving in Friday morning, see you there.:2tu:

Murray

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Round Up starts off at Noon on Friday at ART. With check in time at the Omni not until 3PM or so the past few years most everyone checks in at ART, mingles and we usually all head to the hotel starting around 4 until the last car is done on the dyno. Friday is very relaxed and a 'get to know one another' day. If there are caravans from the Hotel to ART I do not know about them. Most people are coming in from out of town and leaving early from work so they trickle in constantly during the day.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason - Nice job on the roundup. Thanks goes out to A.R.T. for the whole day of track time at Harris Hill Road.

Ditto! A huge thank you to A.R.T for the use of their shop Friday and organizing Sunday at Harris Hill. I thought Jason did a great job and my thanks goes out to everyone else who made this a great time. Even though I could not make the drive Saturday, my whole family had a blast riding around the track!

You must be registered for see images attach

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a great time! Jason really enjoyed all of the events I was able to attend. Hill country cruise was outstanding, the dinners, and the day at Harris Hill.

I thinking my favorite part was watching Ben Keating fly around the track on his 19/20 Forgelines wrapped in Nitto Invo rubber. Man that guy gets it done out there!

Great meeting all of you and look forward to the next one.

Andy Wheeler

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another successful round up! Good drives, good food, and great people. Yvette and I loved getting to know everyone better and putting all the names with faces over the three days. ‘Till next time!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another successful round up! Good drives, good food, and great people. Yvette and I loved getting to know everyone better and putting all the names with faces over the three days. ‘Till next time!

Great time and nice to put faces with VCA names!!! Thanks to ART for opening up their shop on Friday and hosting us at the track on Sunday.

Thanks to Bernie for lunch Saturday.

Murray

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my CD today with all the pics. They are great and I'm trying to decide which ones go up in the office. Thanks for the effort to pull it all together and we had a great time!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do we have a central location that we are uploading pictures to so everyone can see/download pictures from the weekend?

Texas 97 GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to all the people who made roundup 2011 so much fun. Everyday had something cool, fun and exciting in it. It was a blast FINALLY DRIVING at H2R!!!

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang