'98 GTS alarm fun

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, yes I searched a lot - seems like lots of people have had fun with the alarms/entry modules on these cars!

I have some gremlins that I can't figure out through the service manual / body diag books, and thought I would ask here before taking it in to the dealer to plug in.

My fob died, but that's secondary to this issue and I have another on order. I've tried re-syncing it, and reprogramming it (grounding green wire etc etc) and its definately dead.

the alarm/fob/vtss was working fine. after my fob died I can't set the alarm through the manual process of flicking the door lock and closing the door. All I get are two quick chirps, no flashing red light. I've looked at the hatch and hood sensors, they seem to be ok at a glance. After I lock it (and get the chirps) If I open the (locked) door through the window, the hatch or the hood nothing happens. The car starts and runs perfectly, the alarm is definately not working.

It has a new battery, and is on a battery tender and doesn't really have any drain to it (the tender light is green most all the time).

can anyone tell me what the two chirps mean? The alarm light works (flashes quickly when in fob programming mode, etc), and while i suspect i need to get it plugged into a DRB at the dealer I'm hoping someone here might have a fix, is my EEM stuffed?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer and follow the procedure. I am going through this right now. I just replaced the entry module and it fixed my key synch problem but I am still showing power from the disarm switch which is keeping it from arming. We ordered that switch and hopefully after that is replaced the alarm will arm.

The only think you can really do on your own is check all the switches to make sure they are adjusted properly (hood or rear glass). You really need to put it on the computer to see if the door switches are showing open when dor is closed and shows closed when you open the doors. I know, it sounds backwards but that is how the DRB reads.

Chcuk Tator was very helpful in our troubleshooting and was kind enough to talk to the service tech, thanks Chuck, I really appreciate it and owe you one. :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't remember but there is a switch on the hatch strut and if it is not adjusted or is broke it will also cause this.

Correct. You can also re adjust the hood switch but there is not much you can do beyond that without the computer. :dunno:

OP
OP
B

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, i'll have to get it into the dealer sounds like... i'll report in later :)