Advice on 98 GTS purchase please...

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 1998 GTS, silver, with 31K on it. It has a "Venom 555 package from TNT motorsport", supposedly 556 RWHP on a rebuilt engine. I haven't physically seen the car yet, I'll be going Wednesday to check it out. The Carfax is clean, its a one owner car. The previous owner dumped alot of $$$ in it from the way it sounds. The price ($36,900) seems really good for such a nice car. Its at a dealer and I think he traded it for a Lotus or something. Anyway, I couldn't find any info on TNT, other than they apparently went under some time ago.

What things should I be looking for? I don't know any Viper experts to have look at it, so I'll be doing it myself. I am somewhat proficient with cars, I own a blown LSx camaro, and have owned several modified cars. They said I can use their lift to check it over.

This is in the St. Louis area, if anyone knows the car I'd love to talk to the previous owner. Its a silver 98 GTS with black stripes, chrome stock rims, and an ugly (IMO) wing. It has a monster stereo, custom seats, and side exit exhaust. Lowered 2" too.

This is alot of coin for me, so I want to make sure everything is right. Plus I'll be driving it 3 hours home, don't feel like getting stranded on the highway.

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty pumped (and nervous) for my first Viper. Its been a dream since they came out when I was in HS. I'll probably just sit in the garage and stare at it for the first 2 weeks......after I take the wing off.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, on the surface sounds like quite a deal if you are OK with the mileage. I remember TNT; they used to square off against Hennessey if I remember correctly. They had a King Snake package that was supposed to be as good as the Venom 650R (and about as expensive). One owner sounds good too... I ould suspect the car has been tracked. You can check the calipers to make sure (if the letters are yellowing that's a sign of a tracked car). Of course it may be OK if it has been, as long as everything is in good running order. I'm sure some other Viper guys (or gals) will be along soon with more helpful info.

Good luck! Be sure and get pics to post on the board!

V

Venomiss

http://www.dodgeviperclub.com/

This is the Gateway/St Louis Club for Vipers. Call them ASAP and ask if anyone knows this car. The president of the club is very active on these boards. Read the forums for St.Louis.

Also ask them if they have a Viper Tech they recommend in your area. May cost a few bucks but may save big headaches and $$$$ later on. It's worth every penny!!!

Others will chime in with advice. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I got in touch with a guy named Joe who is an expert on Vipers, he's gonna check it out for me.

I hope it checks out OK!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96