Any DIY's installed an autoform roll bar in their GTS?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any DIY\'s installed an autoform roll bar in their GTS?

Was it pretty easy to install, and how do you like it? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Any DIY\'s installed an autoform roll bar in their GTS?

I installed one in my RT/10, the GTS should be about the same. PM me for more info.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

On the Autoform Bar in my RT/10. The lip on the back top panel has to be trimmed and you have to make sure that the roll bar sets flat on the back panel and you may have to remove some rough edges on the back panel where the edge of the bar sets in the back plate. The back metal top plate is covered by about 3/16th of an inch of plastic and has a 3/4-inch plastic lip, about 8 inches of this 3/4 plastic lip has to be trimmed so the L bracket can bolt in place with rivet nuts. This should not be a worry to anyone, it is only plastic and is behind your trim piece and cannot be seen. The fit on the bar was good; holes have to be cut in the carpet where the bottom legs bolt to the floor pan so you get a metal to metal contact. On mine the new trim piece that fits around the bar had to be trimmed around the bar ends so it would set down flat, but this was not any big deal either. It was a little tricky lining up the holes in the bottom leg pieces, I had to drill the two holes out a little bigger through the floor pan so I could get enough movement to line up the three bottom leg mounting bolts, two through the bottom of the leg and one bolt horizontal into a rivet nut. I wish I had a better rivet nut tool the 3/8 rivet nuts are hard to compress but I got them in, afterward I bought a good rivet nut installation tool, and a set of rivet nuts since they are handy items to have around. The bottom legs mount solid and the backer plate catches the edge of the frame rail to provide a solid mount. Also the mounting holes on mine for the top plate were located by small dimples in the plastic and I had to use a hole saw to drill through the plastic around these locating marks to reveal the nuts already welded into the top plate at the factory. This is where the 5-point harness eyebolts mount. Also make sure if you take off your upper side plastic trim pieces by the door that you install them before putting the bar in because they cannot be put in afterward. My bar was bolted in, and then came completely out again so I could install the side door trim pieces (lesson learned the hard way). After the first install you know the tricks and a second install would go pretty easy. Here are a couple of picks:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info Jim. The bar in your RT/10 looks great.

I hope someone who installed one in their GTS would share their experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R