Bad motor mounts 98 GTS

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I finally found the time to start my motor and transmission mount R&R project. I made good use of the nasty weather Tropical Storm Hanna brought us today and spent the day in the garage. I was hoping that when I got them out I would find them to be bad or at least look like they needed to come out since I hate to feel like I wasted *GOOD* mod money for nothing. Well I was in luck, the drivers side mount was completely torn in two and the passenger side mount has splitting all the way around on both sides. This is on a stock HP level 98 GTS. It does have 66K miles though. Only bad part of the whole job was that I had to remove the exhaust manifolds to get the motor mount bolts out. Not that removing them was even hard but I didn't know that I was going to have to remove them. Had I known I think I would have bought a set of long tube headers to install in their place. I still may, I haven't reinstalled them yet.:D

Attachments

• mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 57
  • mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 37

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily I had less than half the miles you do when I changed my motor and tranny mounts. Mine didn't look near that bad either, but the difference is phenominal. Have you driven yours since the change, and did you do the trans mount also?

Interested to see you opinion... as I'm sure others are as well.

I didn't have to remove the manifolds either. I believe with stock ones it's a must to pull em off.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Memories, of the times I used the OE mounts, but that was long ago...

Yeah, the Woodhouse rock. And I did put on headers when changing them. I'm a planner of sorts...

OP
OP
L

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have the stock manifolds on the car you can't get the top bolt out of the bracket that holds the motor mount to the motor itself. Not that removing the manifolds is hard, I think it took about 3-5 minutes per side to do it. I have not had a chance to drive the car yet (not finished with the job yet, still deciding on long tube headers), and yes I am doing the tranny mount and crossmember at the same time. I bought the combo kit from Daves Big Brakes. I am doing a short throw shifter as well since I have it all apart. With a broken mount the car has to drive differently with the new stuff in place.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe when I read the HOW-To, it was mentioned that the driver's side manifold would likely have to be removed.

Dave's planning should be a lesson to us all.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kept falling in. Had to build some hand rails to make the job safer...

YES, taking your exhaust off makes the job like double extra easy!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog