Broken Headlight switch....need help

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went to turn my headlights off the other day, which went fine other than the fact that my headlights stayed on. Only my headlights stayed on, not the running lights, rear lights, or interior dash lights, just the low beam head lights. After playing with the switch for like a half hour, I finally got the lights off. I don't want to turn them back on because they might not go off and I will have to disconnect the battery and reset the computer.

Since I'm 6'7" 250 lbs, I think I may have "bumped" the switch with my knee getting in or out, but definately not hard as I pay careful attention. Am I going to have to tear the entire dash off to replace the switch, or is the problem not with the switch, but with some other electrical component. I really don't want to take the dash apart if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, it's on a '96 GTS

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told (by the wizard) that the headlight switch is a common problem area where the switch itself, over time, will overheat and fail. I had to replace mine after it exibited symptoms that you are describing. Call him tomorrow, 914-763-3136

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It says Ford on the back of the switch. It comes right out, the secret is using a nail or paper clip to to push out the pin holding the external knob. Buy is from Tatar, it isn't that bad.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My light switch (Gen I) was giving similar problems. All lights would work but at times driving at night the headlights would flicker on and off. I bought the replacement headlight switch (ford part) and started to replace the switch (there's no pinhole on mine, there's a button on top of the switch you can press). When I got the old switch off I saw that one of the fins were completely melted off! I then took a look at the module the switch snaps into and saw the plastic around where the fins fit into was melted and warped... Talk about overheating!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You should be able to take the switch out without pulling the dash...to be honest with you...pulling off the dash isn't as hard as it may sound...I could take mine off in about 10 minutes.

Yes the Gen1 light switches do overheat alot. I had to replace mine twice on my 1994.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS