Buying a Viper...exhaust question

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at buying an 04 Viper that has been modded and the current owner has no idea what has been done with it exactly. I have figured out it has headers and probably doesn't have cats. The exhaust I have no idea what it is.

So based on this, are there any inherent problems I need to be aware of or look out for? Also, if there are no cats, will the computer be throwing codes that the Texas emission places would fail my safety inspection for?

Any other common things to look for with modded Vipers?

Reaction score
If the computer has been re flashed to ignore the rear 02 sensors then there will be no codes. If there are sims there should be no codes till they fail anyways. If you have to replace the cats they are EXPENSIVE along with the stock manifolds.

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying an 04 Viper that has been modded and the current owner has no idea what has been done with it exactly. I have figured out it has headers and probably doesn't have cats. The exhaust I have no idea what it is.

So based on this, are there any inherent problems I need to be aware of or look out for? Also, if there are no cats, will the computer be throwing codes that the Texas emission places would fail my safety inspection for?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,.....I am looking at buying an 04 Viper that has been modded and the current owner has no idea what has been done with it exactly. ......

What's cheaper, flash the computer or buying cats?

Can you keep looking? Find a car with less-questionable history? Have you listened to it run or driven it? Loud-obnoxious-backfiring? Stinky?

Or take it to a reputable Viper tech / Shop near you? Texas has several....

HF universal 3" cats under $400/pr + labor .....the flash will cost more, but less labor! And it will still STINK and backfire.....

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you keep looking? Find a car with less-questionable history? Have you listened to it run or driven it? Loud-obnoxious-backfiring? Stinky?

Or take it to a reputable Viper tech / Shop near you? Texas has several....

HF universal 3" cats under $400/pr + labor .....the flash will cost more, but less labor! And it will still STINK and backfire.....

The car is in Tennessee, so I haven't been able to run it personally. If anyone is in Tennessee and wouldn't mind taking a look at it for a fee, I'd definitely appreciate it to save me a plane trip.

I haven't run cats on my Trans Ams or my Corvettes, so the stink there didn't bother me. Is it any worse or different with a V10?

My main concern would be being able to get it registered in Texas so if it's throwing codes, then that'd be an issue.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The car is in Tennessee, so I haven't been able to run it personally. If anyone is in Tennessee and wouldn't mind taking a look at it for a fee, I'd definitely appreciate it to save me a plane trip.

I haven't run cats on my Trans Ams or my Corvettes, so the stink there didn't bother me. Is it any worse or different with a V10.....

The SRT10 sidepipes put the un-scrubbed exhaust gases about 24" from your nose and hair, vs way out the back. In slow / stopsign traffic, you put out 8.3L of stink every 2 RPMs.
Thats 700+ 'gallons' of smelly air per minute of idling, swirling up your sills, doors and fenders..... Windows down, top off, it can taint your nostrils, hair and clothes.....

Lots of TN Callsigns Here? Anybody help this newbee?

V

Venomiss

I haven't run cats on my Trans Ams or my Corvettes, so the stink there didn't bother me. Is it any worse or different with a V10?

My main concern would be being able to get it registered in Texas so if it's throwing codes, then that'd be an issue.

Maybe PM Uvbnbit here on. He is the president for TN region and might know someone who can help go look at the car.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If the Cats have been removed it will probably not pass emissions. I don't believe a Dealer can sell a vehicle with proper emissions equipment missing. A private seller might have legal responsibility also. Ask for a State emission certificate before you purchase from the owner.Ask the owner if they have the parts taken off. If you deceide to purchase the Viper, make sure the seller has written on the Bill of Sale exactly what modification have bben done to the Emission System(exhaust). Once you purchase the car, it will be your word against his that you did not modify the system.PS. There is a Tread exactly about this problem. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be buying from a private individual and at a price where it makes sense to put cats on or flash the computer. In order to pass the safety inspection here, all I need is to not be throwing codes and having the car's systems report ready. What would it cost to have the computer flashed to do so?

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got it :) It's wonderful. Turns out it has full Belanger exhaust complete with cats. I'm very pleased with the fact it has that system and the car overall is great.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I'd seen this post a few days ago. I would have checked the car for you. I have B&B with all sensors in place, no cats, no codes and no stink. I guess I'm lucky but have always removed cats and never noticed an increase in gas fumes.

Good luck with the car. Tell us more.
Sal

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can say after driving from Nashville to Austin, I think I've lost some hearing lol.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Luckily those don't give you tickets or anything, there's always one parked on 35 as I'm entering from 1431.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson