California Emissions

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am looking for my first Viper but I have a question regarding emmisions. I am located in California and if I have to will be buying my Viper
out of state. I read that if I do buy a car out of state I need
to check for the "California Destination Car" sticker under the hood for emmisions. Does anyone know anything about this? I dont want to buy my Viper and not be able to register it.

thanks

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe if the car is 1999 and newer all Vipers are 50 state emissions legal. If older and out of state than the car has to have 7500 miles on the odometer and must be smogged to pass CA emmisions. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in and set the record straight. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a car in So Cal. If you need help locating a CA car let me know. Good luck.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks REDSLED, I am looking for a 93-95 R/T. I was going to go for a
97-98 GTS but I was pressing my luck with the wife on how much money I
would be spending on a car I would probably drive only on weekends.
I found a 94 that is owned by a fellow VCA member for 29k but its located
in Ohio, hence the question on emmisions.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to worry, If it doesn't have a sticker and they press you on it, it just means a trip to a smog ref who just ends up smogging it for you anyway.

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if a car does not have CA emissions, 7500 miles is the cut off. Under 7500 miles DMV considers it a new car, under which it must have the CA emissions requirements.

I'm not sure about the Gen I cars, but my '99 and newer were all 50 state cars...

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The 7500 rule was tossed out by the courts - it no longer exists.
2. All Vipers were built to the same smog specs- California's.
3. Go to your local dealer and order the California sticker for the Viper you are buying - it will cost you about $4
Stick it in the same place the original sticker resides.
4. Go smog the car

Been there, done that
Gavin

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but the 7500 rule DOES too still exist...

Quote from the DMV website at www.dmv.ca.gov:

"California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired."

Hence the reason for providing an Odemeter Mileage Certification at the time of registration.

I verified this with a friend at DMV headquarters in Sac.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responces. So if the Viper I buy has more then 7500 miles I should be ok, correct?

:eek:

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but the 7500 rule DOES too still exist...

Quote from the DMV website at www.dmv.ca.gov:

"California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired."

Hence the reason for providing an Odemeter Mileage Certification at the time of registration.

I verified this with a friend at DMV headquarters in Sac.

This is mostly correct except for one important part is that the car must also be less than 3 years old and less than 7500. (Bar Manual 2.7.4) And if it is less than 3 years it is 50 State Legal, so no problem. Just thought you might want to know.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the DMV website, which does indeed very clearly specify that they consider any car with under 7500 miles to be "new" and unregisterable in CA without CA emissions. Under registration, however, I found a reference to supplying an odometer statement UNLESS the car is over 10 years old....is this a viable loophole? Couldn't find any reference to 3 years as HISSES mentions- what is the Bar Manual?

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Granted - the 7,500 rule was re-written and is in effect.
Its still a $4 sticker
My 96 was a Florida Car
Smogged it Friday - flew through
Stop making this complicated for the guy.
Its a $4 sticker from the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Granted - the 7,500 rule was re-written and is in effect.
Its still a $4 sticker
My 96 was a Florida Car
Smogged it Friday - flew through
Stop making this complicated for the guy.
Its a $4 sticker from the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree! Go to a dealer, get the $4 sticker, put it in the correct space under the hood, go to the DMV, get the registered, go drive the car. It's no that complicated.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't sweat it 93Cobra,
I bought my '94 and it was originally from Texas. You will have no problem smogging it in california if the emissions equipment is intact.

edgemyster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for those in my shoes who are doing research - I just bought a '96 GTS from Nevada with greater than 7500 miles and shipped it into California. Originally from Florida. No modifications. Got the car registered with no problems whatsoever. Smog took 10 minutes. No sticker necessary.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for those in my shoes who are doing research - I just bought a '96 GTS from Nevada with greater than 7500 miles and shipped it into California. Originally from Florida. No modifications. Got the car registered with no problems whatsoever. Smog took 10 minutes. No sticker necessary.

I think the key point here is...........................car's UNDER 7500 miles.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This old thread jogs my memory and I guess the rule is still in effect. 6 months ago a big corvette dealer here in Anaheim had a 2-3K '92 RT/10 on ebay. In the listing it said "not for CA registration". I was a little puzzled, now this thread and info comes back. Good to know that you can buy a CA sticker from dodge if I find a great '92

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi