Can a Lambo or Ferrari Touch me with my Mods?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my fav ferraris are the gt-40, the 288 gto and the 512 bbi and of course the enzo. i also like 360 modenas that have been modified by imola racing. they make a aero package (spolier, wing, etc.) for the modena that makes it look killer. i think the looks of the F50 ****. i think it is a pininfarina design, but i am not sure.

of course old skool ferrari race cars like the p3, and 1980's F1 cars, etc. have the look in spades.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
allanlambo, i see that you have a twin turbo v8 lotus esprit. i know that you can get a race chip for that car that will double the boost output and add more fuel, etc and create 450 crank horsepower with exhaust mods. i assume you have done these mods to your lotus? i would also assume that at that level the lotus would be faster than a stock Z06? if so how much faster do you think the lotus with the aforementioned mods would be than a stock year 2004 Z06 say in a 1/4 mile drag race?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ferrari I love is the 512TR, very good performance and great styling. Too bad Ferrari doesn't make one like that anymore.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The time i was at Moroso and saw the early Diablo run 12.4 @119 you can see in print in Car and Driver, in their roadtest against an F40. You are exactly correct about the torque of the F50, its something like 350ftpds.

FastFreddy, my Lotus is bone stock and ive run several z06's in it. The best races i had in it were in Scottsdale against an 02 Zo6 that was bone stock. Gear for gear, the cars were exactly the same . We raced from all different mph's, to about 160mph. With the Lotus Race ECU, the Lotus will kill a Z06. There are also tons of other mods available for the Lotus, you must just take it easy on the tranny.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i meant the F-40, dadgumit!!! i have been thinking about fords old gt-40 and new GT, etc for so long i can't even keep my ferraris straight. thanx 4 settin me straight on that one allan. there is a used year 2001 lotus esprit here in arizona for sale that has 16,000 miles on it and is listed at 55k obo. if i bought it i would put the newer style year 2003 wheels on it and do all the mods i mentioned earlier. this would make for one slick ride :cool: i called the owner about the car and he said he had replaced the clutch. apparently in addition to a weak tranny lotus esprits have a weak clutch too? if i bought the car i would not be going racing with it or doing burnouts or anything like that (i have lots of american iron that serves that purpose for me). i would just **** the car and do full throttle roll ons, top speed blasts and some canyon carving, etc.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking from ownership experience since I own a Diablo and a DLM level 1 plus Supercharged viper is the following..

The viper is much quicker off the line and will pull up to about 100+mph HOWEVER once you get past that the Diablo will catch and overtake at high speeds..The viper is a rocket but my stock Diablo except for after market exhaust and removal of cats is a handling machine. After driving both The viper gives me my rollercoaster thrills but driving the Diablo is fast and more like driving a true racecar..
Two completely different animals..

Just my 2c

Adam

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a stock 91 Diablo will come anywhere close to a supercharged Viper up to 150MPH, and it would take so much roadway to catch up that it wouldn't matter.

But I spend so little time driving over 140MPH anyway that I just value top speed much less than some people do.

It doesn't mean that the Diablo isn't cool. It is after all an exotic supercar, and it's looks would stop traffic even if it only had 200HP! Plus it's easily quicker than 99% of the other cars out there.

Thanks for offering a perspective of someone who owns both.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me restate that when I say high speeds over 100 plus mph I mean at speeds of over 130 mph..remember the diablos power band starts breathing at high rpm (6000 rpm) where the viper power bands stops..of course the supercharger will keep the viper close right there until 170mph..then its bye bye...

Adam

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
of course the supercharger will keep the viper close right there until 170mph..then its bye bye...

Adam

You cant be serious!

On motor alone the Viper tops out between 186-192mph...with a SC Viper you're telling me you will be able to catch one by 170 in your stock Diablo?...lol.You would be so far behind by then. The SC Viper will have gone to 200+mph and back to zero before you hit 170mph in your stock Diablo...I love Diablo's but what you are saying, if Im interpreting it right, is lewd-icrous....Even the cheapest SC will make th Viper put down to the ground what a stock Diablo puts out to the crank...You obviously are not talking about DLM/Heffner and certain Roe charged Vipers...

Please enlighten me...

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me restate that when I say high speeds over 100 plus mph I mean at speeds of over 130 mph..remember the diablos power band starts breathing at high rpm (6000 rpm) where the viper power bands stops..of course the supercharger will keep the viper close right there until 170mph..then its bye bye...

Adam

I guess that means the Viper will win most of the time since there is not to many places you can run over 170mph. I raced a 98 Diablo SV from a dead stop thru four gears and beat it by almost 2 cars maybe. Owner didn't like it and wanted to do it again this time from 20mph roll same results thru 4 gears. This racetrack did not allow for longer distances, good thing. :D I'm glad I beat him though because the guy was a real a*****e. How about on a road couse will your Lambo get around a track faster than a Viper?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had the viper or the lambo on a road course but I agree the viper is the faster of the two cars however I dont believe a viper would be aerodynamically sound at speeds close to 200 mph on a track. And on a big oval do you really believe the viper will handle enough to keep up with a 1/4 million dollar diablo..I havent tried but I dont think so..Unless of course you do some serious $$$$$ modifications..Listen I love my viper and its a rocket.Bur after driving both there is no comparison in handling between the two, especically at high speed...

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not talking about Nascar and ovals , I'm talking road coarse tracks and noone I know runs speeds of 200mph on road coarse. Anyway I was just wondering because there was one at Sebring track one time and I was out runnig it fairly easy. Maybe something was wrong with it. There cool looking and would not mine having an older one if it was a great deal but, then I would not want to sink all my money in it for repairs and maintnance. From what I hear that is a big issue with those cars. What did you have to pay for a 91?

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A heavily modded Viper can beat a stock Diablo. ok. Stock vs. stock, the Diablo wins all distances. Mod vs. mod, the Diablo wins all distances. Its really simple stuff. Mods beat stock, in most cases.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 1998 Diablo is 520hp stock. My Viper exhaust only, so we were pretty close in hp when we raced thru 4 gears.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure what the world record for top speed is in a lamborghini? but one of our very own members right here that being SVS turbo has driven a viper gts coupe to a top speed of 250+ mph at bonnevile! he also hit a speed of 200 mph from a dead stop in a 1 mile drag race at a top speed shootout event. i do not think that any modified lambo anywhere in the world can beat that.

i will say this though. in my owners manual that came from dodge with my year 2001 viper-acr it says that the top speed of the car is 180 mph. before i modded my car with exhaust mods i tested this for myself and found that this info from dodge is absolutely correct. i even had a gps with me that verified my speedo is accurate. i do not know how all these car mags claim that a stock gts will go 192 mph. i believe they are full of crap. i tested my car at an elevation of 1,100 feet above sea level with a 60 degree air temp on a windless day and a perfectly flat and level stretch of asphalt othewise known as a freeway. my car dyno'd 421 rwhp bone stock so i was not down on power either.

my gut tells me that a stock lambo diablo will top out at somewhere between 190-200 mph. but i don't know if that is true or not. i have come to realize that you can't believe anything a magazine or even a manufacturer claims anymore. if you wanna know the truth about your car you got to go test it for yourself.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
back in the 1980's everbody was led to believe that a stock lambo countach would do 180+ mph. now that all the dust has settled the reality seems to be that the fastest a stock countach ever went was a lowly 166 mph. but again i haven't tested this for myself and the lamboghini book that i read this in could be entirely incorrect, so :rolleyes:

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike99ACR, im sorry but you raced someone who doesnt know how to drive. A 98 Diablo SV is 530hp stock.

Ive raced quite a few Vipers throughout the years, and stock for stock, the Diablo is substantially quicker, especially from a rolling start, say 30mph on. From a dead dig, the Diablos long gearing makes it difficult to launch, and you wont find many Diablo owners willing to try. Ive raced some modded Vipers, none supercharged, but with basic mods such as headers exhaust, air filters etc, and still beaten them. No doubt in my mind that a supercharged Viper could beat a Diablo, and depending on the level of supercharging very badly.

In terms of high speed, many a test puts the Diablo to 150 in about 18 seconds, best ive seen for a Viper GTs was 22.5. Thats a pretty big difference.

As soon as i find a Viper Gts, ill post some vids of how it performs with a Diablo.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FastFreddy, you are wrong in your Countach numbers. Bone stock Countach, Worlds Fastest Cars, ran 179mph, same time the Ruf Porsche clocked 211. During the 80's, there was so much debate over the importation of those cars, that no 2 performed alike. Ive got roadtests, from 155mph for an early Countach to 192MPh in a Euro Qv. Any Diablo, even the early ones will run over 200mph. Diablo SE was clocked at 213mph, early 91-92's as high as 207mph. Radar verified. Diablo SV, 211mph.

Ive had mine, on spray buried way past 220mph indicated.

Oh and forgot to answer you on the Esprit, you will love it, and if you go crazy with it powerwise, people are swapping the tranny for a Porsche unit.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRVT jet: Even the first diablos had 492 hp, stock.
The original 1991 Diablo had 485HP and 428TQ with a tall 2.41 final drive ratio. Plus they weighed about 150lbs more than the Viper. The Gen II Vipers were also underrated, and actually have between 470-490HP and 525-580TQ bone stock. :eek:
The later Diablos like the SV and the 6.0 models were more powerful, and/or lighter, so they are as different as the Gen I and Gen II Vipers are in performance.

On stock tires many mild-boost supercharged Vipers are doing high 10s, low 11s in the low to mid 130s in the 1/4 mile.
That's Enzo territory! :eek: :2tu:

As far as top speed goes, it's hard to say how fast that a blown GTS would go, but the R/T10 will likely be drag limited to under 200MPH even with a supercharger.

But for me, attaining speeds over 170MPH are about as useful as having the Viper be good at drifting competitions. :rolleyes:
Local roads and traffic do not support speeds over 150MPH, let alone faster. :shocked: So top speed ranks well below acceleration, braking and handling for me.

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can shed some light on this one for you guys. I just parted with my 01 Diablo that had Filters but otherwise was stock. I also have owned several Vipers. I agree with Allenlambo in that the Diablo will walk all over a stock Viper. Ive raced many Vipers from Digs and the roll. The trick is that you have to keep the RPMS up around 4k from the roll so the Diablo can breath otherwise you will be playing catchup which will happen by 3rd gear everytime. Now, Ive raced my buddies 01 Viper with heads, cam, Corsa catback and headers. He was making 525 RWHP and we were dead even through 4 gears everytime. Im talking about less then half a fender apart at any speed. If the diablo had an advantage it happened past 100MPH through 160MPH. The diablos have deep gearing and do not feel as fast as the Viper but they are superior in just about every catagory. The brakes and the Diablos road manners alone are worth every penny, but the serviceing and maintenance leaves you out of breath.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can shed some light on this one for you guys. I just parted with my 01 Diablo that had Filters but otherwise was stock. I also have owned several Vipers. I agree with Allenlambo in that the Diablo will walk all over a stock Viper. Ive raced many Vipers from Digs and the roll. The trick is that you have to keep the RPMS up around 4k from the roll so the Diablo can breath otherwise you will be playing catchup which will happen by 3rd gear everytime. Now, Ive raced my buddies 01 Viper with heads, cam, Corsa catback and headers. He was making 525 RWHP and we were dead even through 4 gears everytime. Im talking about less then half a fender apart at any speed. If the diablo had an advantage it happened past 100MPH through 160MPH. The diablos have deep gearing and do not feel as fast as the Viper but they are superior in just about every catagory. The brakes and the Diablos road manners alone are worth every penny, but the serviceing and maintenance leaves you out of breath.

Interesting.... If you guys were equal drivers, then the 01 Diablo MUST be underrated. Think about it... 525 RWHP = 618 Flywheel Horsepower. Not to mention this GTS would have 600+ ft. lbs of torque as well, AND BE A LIGHTER CAR (I think). An 01 Diablo has what, 550 HP and 457 Torque at 3700 lbs or so? Of course, stats are stats and true experiences are reality. Just seems the Viper should have been a little quicker than your Diablo. In any case, I really like the Diablo's, and love the Murc.... Two of the very few cars that can make your jaw drop as much if not more than a GTS.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike99ACR, im sorry but you raced someone who doesnt know how to drive. A 98 Diablo SV is 530hp stock.

Your probably right about the driver but, the results did not surprise me. I guess it depends what mag. you read and want to believe. Everything I've read said 12.7 et for a 98 Diablo in 1/4 mile test. Thats why I thought the results were pretty accurate with my Viper beating him by a couple cars. Even if I gave the Diablo the benefit of the doubt and ignored what I read and said it can run 12.0. I run under 12.0 with Pilots with 11.79 my best which would still result in 2 cars. AS far as it being the driver that goes for you and anyone else as well. Maybe the Vipers you raced did not have the best drivers in them. I have seen alot of Vipers run 13's. I use to be one of them :D :usa:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one way to settle this....line em up...hehe.....The Lambo is one of the most georgous and powerful exotics ever made but it cant rewrite physics....

A SC Viper has power, weight, torque advantage over the stock Diablo...It also traps in the 130's...No way in hell a stock Diablo is gonna catch it by 170...Stock for stock they are close up to 120-130...With 200 more supercharged horses in the Viper the stock Diablo would be *****.... Show me a well driven SC Viper losing to a stock Diablo and Ill believe it....

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your probably right about the driver but, the results did not surprise me. I guess it depends what mag. you read and want to believe. Everything I've read said 12.7 et for a 98 Diablo in 1/4 mile test. Thats why I thought the results were pretty accurate with my Viper beating him by a couple cars. Even if I gave the Diablo the benefit of the doubt and ignored what I read and said it can run 12.0. I run under 12.0 with Pilots with 11.79 my best which would still result in 2 cars. AS far as it being the driver that goes for you and anyone else as well. Maybe the Vipers you raced did not have the best drivers in them. I have seen alot of Vipers run 13's. I use to be one of them :D :usa:

Only place you read that a Diablo Sv ran a 12.7 was Road and track which used a private example in its worst roadtest. It is the ONLY magazine that had results like these. Every other magazine (trust me, i have them all) put the car in the 11's . Even Road and track, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend, all got the much heavier 6.0 to run 11.80's - 12.00's. As you stated, you used to run 13's in your Viper, logic runs that an experienced owner of a DIablo could further improve upon these times, just as Viper owners consistently improve upon magazine times. My friend went from running 13's in His 98 Diablo to a best of 11.56 or 11.59 in his stock SV.

On the Supercharged Viper front, again, i believe a 130mph Viper should walk a stock Diablo well. But also keep in mind, just one mod on the Diablo, drops 100 pds of weight, and adds sometimes over 50RWHP, and thats exhaust. Still not enough to beat a supercharged Viper.

I guess the best point of logic is that you have several owners of both Vipers and Diablos here, and all of them tell you the same.

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we move on......

Ok, Ive seen several postings where the 01 Lambo ran high 11s and other publications recorded high 12s. It all comes down to the driver. Ive been racing for years and while im not the best driver I can definetly hold my own so I know I got all the Lambo was going to give. I even grinded the gates between 1st and 2nd so I could powershift it which ultimatly wore out the synchroes. I will add that when I first began driving the Lambo I drove it like a Viper and it was a dog based on the gearing and lack of torque. It took awhile to figure out but It will consitently waste a stock Viper. The same viper that pulled 525RWHP later installed a 8lbs Roe charger. I believe he made in the middle 600s at the tire before the tuning began. Anyway, he would leave me at a rapid pace at any speed. I could launch the Diablo at 5500 and get a car but by second gear he was clearly passing me by and I could always see his dumb personalied plate in clear sight. So the supercharged Viper versus the Diablo is really a mindless comparison, it just doesnt work. Apples to oranges.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to be clear Im not disputing whos faster stock to stock...We all know the Lambo is a good bit faster....

The only thing I disputed was this:

of course the supercharger will keep the viper close right there until 170mph..then its bye bye...
Adam

No flames Adam but I dont know how a DLM owner can say this..If a stock Lambo can catch your DLM by 170mph you should have Doug check it out...

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, they are both bad-ass cars. Cant wait to have both side by side and do my own tests, and then kick that POS Ferrari out of my garage and replace it with a Murcielago. Then i will be a happy man.