Can a Lambo or Ferrari Touch me with my Mods?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, they are both bad-ass cars. Cant wait to have both side by side and do my own tests, and then kick that POS Ferrari out of my garage and replace it with a Murcielago. Then i will be a happy man.

I agree. Have you owned a Viper before? Have you ever had your Lambo at the track for testing, times? In the end if I had your money I promise you I would have a Lambo in my garage. :D :2tu:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

of course the supercharger will keep the viper close right there until 170mph..then its bye bye...
Adam

Okay let me say I apologize for the above statement in that I never raced both cars against eachother so the above statement was what I thought..however I know how quick my SC viper is compared to my diablo and its considerable..I only thought that the diablos top end stock of 206mph would outdue the viper..With that said I'd like to get a long flat surface to put the viper to the test and see what she could do..I still would be alittle hesitent on pushing her to that speed because of aerodynamics..but it would be interesting...In the end Im lucky because I do have both in my stable to find the answer...

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tell you right now, one way or another i am gonna find out just how much horsepower its gonna take to get my viper to go 200 mph. i hit 182 mph with 452 rwhp. i am guessing that its gonna take at least 600 rwhp. the stock 3.07 gears will take you to 202 mph at 6,000 rpm's in 5th gear if you got enough power to pull it. my next mods will be cnc ported and polished heads with bigger valves and t&d 1.7 ratio roller rockers, cam and compression increase, etc. this should be good for 190 mph. i think a 200 hp shot of nitrous in 5th gear should take care of the rest :cool:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan,

I was just wondering why some a lot of places advertise the 98 Diablo SV as having 510 hp, and others as 530?
I have always been interested in Diablos and I know you have one, so I thought you might know.

Thanks, Andy

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, when the Diablo SV was introduced it was actually only in Europe as early as 1996, and at that time, it was just a lightweight model, which used a Version of the early v12 pumping out 510 vs 492 hp. In the U.S. the Sv was only available in 98-99, and has the Variable valve timing motor which produces 530hp, which is conservative, as the Ram air induction is never taken into account. I know a couple of places incorrectly list them at 510hp.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the top speed debate, and just how long it would take for a Diablo to catch a Supercharged vIPER, i dont know, but i will tell you this, aredynamics play a HUGE part. Ive seen this first hand both in my Ferrari, where racing with the top up or down was the difference between losing by a few cars, or winning by a few cars, and on the Diablo, something as tiny as the tiny adjustable airfoil on the wing, hinders top speed, based on its positioning. So for fact, 2 exact cars, exact gears, power etc, 2 different aerodynamic efficiencies will make a big difference.

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Diablo would catch a Supercharged Viper, when the Viper stopped! :p

ENOUGH SAID!
7435IMG_1466.JPG

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you have to be fair, Modded Diablo SV, 1187RWHP, supposedly could of made more, but dyno couldnt handle it:
You must be registered for see images

Just goes along with the "theres always someone faster" theory. :shocked:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen,

You keep refering to the Diablo SV. But isn't this Diablo a good bit lighter and has more horseees? I would think a stock GTS could probably hang with a stock Diablo AWD base version. Especially the older models. Am I wrong?

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the Diablo SV is lighter and more power, but the others are still extrememly quick. The slowest of all the Diablos are the Roadsters, and the early Vt's. The fastest Diablos are the early 2 wheel drives, the SE's, SV's and late 6.0 Vts. The Diablo GT was awesome, but not available in the U.S.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, think about it, the 647 rwhp viper should theoretically pull past past the stock Lamborghini from 170 to 200 + if you have the 3:08 rear. If you wanted to pick up more mph at high speed lower the viper to improve the aero. The Viper should have no problem pulling that fast even though it may feel like it doesn't want to especially with the top off.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a old motor trend magazine article on a gts coupe modded by ******** out of houston, texas. anyway the car dyno'd 600 rwhp and hit a top speed of 202 mph even with a wing on the back. a stock diablos rear gearing according to allanlambo is like 2.42:1 WHICH IS MASSIVELY OVERDRIVEN!!! i say that there is no way that a stock diablos 500 crank horsepower is enough to push the car past 200 mph. the CD on a viper is like .36 i think. i am not sure what the CD is on a diablo but i am guessing it is probably like .30 or less, which it most certainly would have to be in order to reach its claimed top speed; because again lack of torque coupled with tall gearing makes for 1 slow climb.

i wonder what the diablos tranny ratios are. it must have some deep tranny ratios to overcome that 2.42:1 ring and pinion.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This Diablo ran 208 stock, and 215 with some bolt-ons. Radar verified. My 94se ran 205 bone stock. The SRT in the middle ran over 200, but its modded.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never posted the gear ratios, and where are you getting the fact that Diablos have no torque? They make a substantial amount of torque just at a higher rpm. Any Diablo, from 91-01 will go over 200mph.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sv gear ratio:

1st gear ratio : 2.31:1
2nd gear ratio : 1.52:1
3rd gear ratio : 1.12:1
4th gear ratio : 0.88:1
5th gear ratio : 0.68:1
Rev. gear ratio : 2.12:1
Rear transfer ratio : 1:1.619
Rear diff.limited slip : 45 %
Rear differential ratio : 1:2.53

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my friends raced each other few weeks ago , Gallardo (manual) Vs. SRT-10, the SRT10 was like one car ahead !!! both are good drivers to be honest the Gallardo driver was even a more experienced driver, both stock!! in my case i was playing catch up a 1100 HP & 1282 TQ Viper not easy to handle :D so i needed some space to play alone :p

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my friends raced each other few weeks ago , Gallardo (manual) Vs. SRT-10, the SRT10 was like one car ahead !!! both are good drivers to be honest the Gallardo driver was even a more experienced driver, both stock!! in my case i was playing catch up a 1100 HP & 1282 TQ Viper not easy to handle :D so i needed some space to play alone :p

I could certainly see that happen, Gallardo is not near as fast as a Diablo.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gallardo is 493hp and 376lb tq and weights 3152. Power to weight ratio is 6.39..

The SRT10 is 500hp and 525lb tq and weights 3357. Power to weight is 6.8

They are very close in power to weight though the Viper is 200+ lbs heavier. On paper it looks like the Gallardo should edge it out..But as said in the real world the SRT beat it by 1 car length....I guess theres no denying 525lb tq..150lb tq advantage vs the Gallardo..If the Gallardo had shorter gearing it would probably be a different story though..

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some day i will buy a lambo and find out for myself what the real top speed is. a .68 tranny ratio with a 2.53 ring and pinion ratio is massively overdriven. this is the equivalent of a vipers 6th gear which is .50 tranny ratio with 3.07 rear ring and pinion. a viper will not pull 6th gear beyond 180 mph without massive horsepower mods.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Bitten, your weight is off by several hundred pds on the gallardo. Its a 3400+Pd car.

Fast Freddy, ive had my car bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th. The Diablos top speed has been verified over and over for the past 14 years. 200mph is no problem.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Bitten, your weight is off by several hundred pds on the gallardo. Its a 3400+Pd car.

I actually got that off the Motor Trend or Car and Driver site...Cant remember which one but it was one of those two......I saw the 3400 you mentioned elseware but figured either MT or C&D had to be right...I assumed so therefore we are :eek: :smirk:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay the stage is ready. Adam pull out the DLM Viper, Allan pull out the Diablo Sv. Enough speculating we all want to see where both are at over 170 and 200. I'll pay for gas on that day. You guys pick the location to have the cars shipped. Who wants to make donations for the enclosed carriers?
**ck the magazines we need our own confirmation.

Alright I'll stop daydreaming. Just wishful thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi