Carbon fiber airbx - round two... <install problems>

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I found and bought a pair of 3" to 2.5" samco reducers. Had the airbox off the Viper as I waited all week to get the tubes delivered...(in other words, a long week without vipering at all!)

They were a touch too long and the mounting holes in the front of the airbox would simply not line up so I trimmed about .5" off each tube and tried again. That worked and I was able to very snugly get the box fitted.

Once installed, the bloody hood wouldn't shut. The hood brace nuts make contact with the top of the box...and in a not so gentle fashion. :(

So I took the tubes off and just left the box as it would be mounted - tada, there are no clearance issues at all - hood shuts and there is no contact with the box.

Now, the tubes are not angle cut - is this the problem?

Do both ends need to be angle cut or just the TB side?

And how much needs to be cut?

Any other suggestions?

I just about put the dang thing in storage tonight after all the trouble and reverted to the stock airbox but I'll give it one more shot. For as much as it costs, they should provide mounting hardware (tubes!). Ah well - live and learn....

(and while I'm at the twenty questions - does anyone just want to sell me their already angle cut reducers if they have an old chrome tube or H.M.S setup they are not using?)

Thanks!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beats me. Seems there'd only be one mounted position, regardless whether there's tubes attached or not. I'd say put the box back on w/ no tubes and fit your tubes to the box as it sits.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, i boiught the setup on ebay that i was asking questions about, and i don think it has the tubes, it should be here soon and i will snap some pics asap

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A minor eureka...

So it turns out that my airbox had the front mounting holes drilled incorrectly...my airbox front lip sat a full 1.5 inches from the front of the radiator support beam when it should have been just .5" - all because of the two stupid mounting holes.

The sad part is that last night, that was my first guess...but instead of drilling into the pricey box, I thought I'd try working with the cheaper tubes. After all, they wouldn't mess up with such an expesnive airbox would they? :rolleyes:

So, a little redrilling of the front mounting holes and it sits far enough forward now that the top radiator tube no longer presses against the large, curved bottom, thus it's not pushed up against the support brace when the hood shuts.

Whew...at least it was a $50 experiment and not a whole lot more ($$$ for the airbox)...stupid airbox anyhow...

If anyone else ever comes across this thread with the same problem (like you may mattl) drop me a line and I'll help you out.

I'd like to thank JP at Venomous Racing for the pics and measurements for where the thing should sit - thank you!!

OP
OP
N

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I supposedly got the last one factory ten built from a shop here in town - he used to sell them, then sold out - he asked if they could get him one more and they did after much back and forth.

I'll ask and see if he can get any more but he was pretty sure that they had dried up. Never say never though...it did take several months for them to change their mind and offer one more up.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the bugger put back together (before and after) - had to order another set of non-hacked-up tubes now that I've discovered the problem...

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go Mike, some reducers.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach