Cat back exhaust... Which one?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry guys, work got in the way.

OK, I have a few days on my Random Tech/Corsa install. The difference over stock is significant...

Thanks Joedud. Have you ever heard a 2008 with the Corsa and stock cats? How does your set-up compare? Thanks for the feedback.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
I've not heard an '08 Corsa and stock cats. At the next club meeting, I'll see if anyone has that set-up. I suspect that most think just adding the Corsa is not a big enoungh jump from stock, and high flow cats aren't that much more expensive, but seem to make a difference. I'll be seeing Larry Macedo soon and I'll ask his opinion, as he has done numerous installs through the years. I also think someone like JonB at PartRack is an authority on this topic, so if you order from him I'm sure he'll give you great insight.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the install was completed by the Wizard (flawlessly of course, he wouldn't have it any other way). Now my impressions:

1) One of the most notable differences is ironically at startup when the exhaust is cold, rev's are high and the computer is running the Viper on the rich side while it warms up. The exhaust IS notably louder. Start this puppy up in your garage at home and you will immediately know the difference. The extra sound is not over the top AND it mellows down quite a bit in just several minutes as the engine and exhaust warm up and the idle speed comes down. After warm up, it is close to stock sound levels at idle.

2) I think this is the best part. When driving in "normal" mode (shifting in the 2k-3k range) and you run through the gears, the exhaust has a way better sound than stock, makes you want to put the window down and shut the radio off.

3) NAIL it suddenly and zing the tach and you are going to have to hold religious services for any passenger and the people in the car next to you. The exhaust just barks. Its almost a Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde transformation in how the exhaust sounds. Just imagine driving around as in #2 above and then just jumping on it suddenly- a clear transformation.

4) Cruise is completely acceptable, louder than stock of course but not by much. Cruise in 6th gear and the the difference between stock and the Corsa / HF become less. More importantly I found NO drone at all. Nothing was "buzzing" or "shaking" in the Viper from resonance / drone. After picking up the Viper at Chuck's place I immediately went on a 2 hour trip, mostly on the highway.

4)"Snap" "Crackle" "Pop" - jump out of the loud pedal quickly or let off from high RPM and you become a rolling ad for Kellog. This to me was probably the other biggest difference ( the other was #3).

If I had to sum it up I would say the differences occur at startup (which calms down quickly), when running up the revs VERY fast, and when getting off the gas suddenly. Cruise, idle, gear changes at mid range are closer to stock and mellow / slightly louder. And again no drone for me. I would liken this exhaust setup to a "woman"-lets you know in a subtle manner that she is there lingering in the background but provoke her-WATCH OUT!!

I am a happy camper.....................mike

Last edited:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just recommended the B&B over the Corsa by a person we all know and respect. Supposed to be just as well made but have a much throatier sound without any drone.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doc - thinking about a Corsa too. As Wallbanger said, exhaust note is always subjective to taste, the definition of "loud", and the depth of your pockets. ;)

Anyone put ROE high flows on their 08/09 along with the Corsa? Mr. Tator suggested that combo to me but I have yet to hear it on an 08/09 car.

After you guys get this all sorted out and one of you wants to part with your OEM catbacks (dirt cheap), let me know...I want to experiment with one on my 06.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 with 3" Random Tech cats and 2.5 Mopar street exhaust. Great combo!

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just recommended the B&B over the Corsa by a person we all know and respect. Supposed to be just as well made but have a much throatier sound without any drone.
I'm going to check into B&B. I want deep tone and I want the ground to shake. When I pass my corvette friends I want them to know that was 600 horse's passing them and If the sound of the exhaust cracks their window all the better.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For now, I'm going to try the Roe high flows with the stock catback. The Wizard will have it done early next week so I'll post the results of only doing the high flows.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely :2tu::headbang:

+ 1

On my '08 Corsas and High Flow Metal CATS (the best) = arrested in 5 minutes in SoCal. Like an open exhaust race car. I would never run this. My wife did not want to ride in the car. Just violent and bad.

The best combination for me was stock CATS (best for SoCal anyway) and Corsas. Very good, and a noticeable improvement over the Hoover stock sound.

As noted above, exhaust sound, drone, etc. is subjective, so your opinions may vary.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every post about exhausts ends up with a discussion about drone, but honestly, I have no idea what this sounds like. I can only imagine that it's like a consisent buzzing sound. Has anyone ever recorded the dreaded drone sound in a moving car?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry guys, work got in the way.

OK, I have a few days on my Random Tech/Corsa install. The difference over stock is significant, to start with. Idle and cruising with windows up is very tolerable. I don't detect any drone or any other frequency that made me uncomfortable after a couple of hours of continuous driving. WOT is amazing. It really opens up and that deceleration gurgle is also quite a bit louder than stock. I don't think the exhaust note is "ricey", or too raspy. For me, it's just right. I have to say I haven't heard many other set-ups in person. A worthwhile mod.

THANKS for validating what we have advised HUNDREDS of Owners and counting. Can you comment on sill and footwell TEMPS?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm going to check into B&B. I want deep tone and I want the ground to shake. When I pass my corvette friends I want them to know that was 600 horse's passing them and If the sound of the exhaust cracks their window all the better.

You might want to consider the Mopar Race setup

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just ordered the B&B 3" exhaust with the Roe high flow cats. Should be on in a few days. I'll let you know.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
What is drone? From the Corsa site: What Is Drone?

Sill and footwell temps seem a little lower, but I only had a few hundred miles on my '08 before the upgrade, and just a few hours now with it, so I'm sure some others are a better authority on this topic.

+1 on the subjective nature of exhaust. In another era, I would have run headers, and straight pipes right to the tips. My neighbors would hate me, cops would target me, and women would shriek and cover their children's ears when I drove by. I'd smell like fuel and would have lost the other half of my hearing I salvaged from the rock era. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my Corsa Track and Random Tech 3" setup for my "06" on Wednesday (4/15) from Jon B.
Jon’s comprehensive knowledge and persuasive salesmanship talked me out of the Roe Cats. Time will tell if I purchased wisely. Jeff in NM…OUT

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a post where a guy said that you only have drone at idle or low RPMs, so just keep accelerating. I like that kind of thinking.

The main problem is it's most often in the 1500 to 2200 rpm zone.
So it's always there when cruising on the highway or just taking it easy around town with your GF aboard who says *** is wrong with this car ?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, now I'm really confused..... From "I'm a happy camper" to "Just violent and bad" with the Corsa and high flows. I wish there was a place to hear all the different combinations (Corsa, high flow, secondary delete, stock cat back, etc) in person before deciding what to do on my 2008. Thanks

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each persons taste and tolerances are different. "to each his/her own" so to speak. The person deciding must listen to the different systems if able and make their own decisions. :2tu:

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, now I'm really confused..... From "I'm a happy camper" to "Just violent and bad" with the Corsa and high flows. I wish there was a place to hear all the different combinations (Corsa, high flow, secondary delete, stock cat back, etc) in person before deciding what to do on my 2008. Thanks
I'm ready to buy exhaust now but I can't tell from the sound clips what it really sounds like. I will have to wait until some viper gathering this summer to hear some different exhaust in person.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from The Wizards today. I had ROE HF cats installed on my 09 with the stock catback. Sounds FANTASTIC. Not too loud but has DEFINITELY woke the car up.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from The Wizards today. I had ROE HF cats installed on my 09 with the stock catback. Sounds FANTASTIC. Not too loud but has DEFINITELY woke the car up.

With the ROE HF Cats installed does the s.o.p. feel any different. I think I am leaning towards swapping my cats and keeping my stock manifolds and stock mufflers too and would be interested in understanding your general impressions so far. How much louder is it? How about any backfiring or popping on decel because that is annoying to me personally?

The Dodge cats (2 on each side) I am told are pretty restrictive and if you can remove them with one higher flowing cat on each side which I believe is the Roe set up then I would think you are freeing up some horsepower.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interested in the exchange of the cats only also. How is the sound, popping, rumble .... with HF cats and the rest of the exhaust being stock?