check engine light

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding this difficult, exasperating problem ! The ordeal is finally over, hopefully. I can't understand how a defect like that could leave the factory undetected. SRT should be ashamed that they did not adequately test the functionality of that button.

Hopefully this incident doesn't put too many people off from buying a new Viper.

( SI )

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know others recommended a new battery when you were troubleshooting, but I don't recall reading that you replaced it. If you didn't, then you should even though you have found the source of the problem (defective switch). The shorted switch has completely drained the battery more than once and modern maintenance free batteries don't tolerate that well. It will have a shortened lifespan. Also, I would inspect the solenoid that activates the gas cap door. It is not designed to run continuously but that's effectively what occurred with a shorted switch. It may have got pretty hot and it may be damaged. Good luck!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having little glitches in a new model car is certainly not unusual and should be expected.
My biggest concern with buying a Gen 5 was that it almost certainly would be back at a dealer for warranty work, and there isn't one in the NY area I would trust to put air in my tires.
Nothing has changed and judging by most responses here I'm not alone in feeling that way.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the guys at buhler dodge in jersey are pretty good. I have dealt with them and they understand about the 'viper ownership'. give them a try.
Having little glitches in a new model car is certainly not unusual and should be expected.
My biggest concern with buying a Gen 5 was that it almost certainly would be back at a dealer for warranty work, and there isn't one in the NY area I would trust to put air in my tires.
Nothing has changed and judging by most responses here I'm not alone in feeling that way.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jon,

Reach out to Mopar-man in that regard. He can attest to a recent positive experience at a local (to us) LI Dealer w/a certified tech.

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that the viper is on a trickle charger, the dash lights come on and off by itself. The key fob is away from car. I guessn that is the reason the battery is going dead.

Sambo

All your symptoms sound like a very dead battery. Get with your SRT dealer and they'll get you a new battery, and can work directly with the Electrical Engineers directly at SRT to ensure there is nothing more than this.

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sambo

Glad the battery dying problem has been solved! Now its time to go drive ;)

Enjoy

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All issues were corrected and everything is fine now. I love the viper and have no regrets trading in my GTR for it. The GEN V is by far a better looking car than the GTR, definitely more exotic. I am very pleased with the fit and finish on both exterior and interior of the viper.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG ***

Hope they aren't lemons!

001.JPG

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gas cap release button was faulty, and was pushed in which kept the actuator running causing the battery to drain. The check engine light probably came on because of the battery drain. The gas cap release button was replaced and I erased the codes with my scanner, and so far no codes and no battery drain.
Definitely not a lemon

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gas cap release button was faulty, and was pushed in which kept the actuator running causing the battery to drain. The check engine light probably came on because of the battery drain. The gas cap release button was replaced and I erased the codes with my scanner, and so far no codes and no battery drain.
Definitely not a lemon
Great! Simple problem!