Check those Power steering caps!! (How do I fix?)

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember my post about the appraisal on my GTS the other day? I just sent a copy of that to my insurance carrier. Here's an interesting turn of events.

At Viper Alley, we were joking about my car catching on fire since it appraised for a bit more than it's worth. It was mentioned that some have caught fire with power steering caps coming off. I had never heard of that, but it made me think to check mine sometime.

So I took the car out today, and washed it when I got home. Because water goes through those holes I raised the hood to dry it. And what did I see ... or better yet, what did I NOT see?

A power steering cap! Completely Gone. Nowhere to be found. Imagine if it would have caught on fire. I got an appraisal done Thursday, sent it to my insurance, and was joking about it on VA.

That would have been a fun one to explain!

Other than getting a cap from a Dodge dealer, and having the same thing happen again, what have others done to fix this? Because I was joking about it, I'm even more worried now. Murphy's Law plays a big role in my life!

Mike M

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey VS! Where on the pump did you wrap the wire? I'm fairly familiar with safety wiring ... but never considered doing a power steering cap - Until today that is!

Mike M

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap you're lucky! When I bought my car, the owner had made a homemade p/s cap which looked like crap, but did work. I put a new OEM cap on it when I picked the car up in NC before the ride back to GA. I ordered the same product ViperJon posted a link to the next day. If anyone is interested, I have a spare OEM cap still in the original packaging for sale (cheap), PM me if interested

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Roe part also; but, it really is just a different way of safety wiring it to keep it from turning. Other's suggestions of just tightening the cr*p out of it with a pair of channellocks is probably just as effective, especially if you want the stock appearance.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got off the track one time to find my cap missing, and no fire yet. I luckily found the cap sitting between the frame and the exhaust heat shields. Put it back on and tightened the cr*p out of it, as mentioned above. I've since gotten the Roe chrome tube solution, although a friend's simple rubber tube from the cap seems to work just as effectively.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read this thread plus others in the past, but today I got up and went out and checked my cap. It was half way unscrewed, and I don't do track racing!!! I fixed mine with a piece of very tight fitting surgical tubing and a wire tie. I feel much better now. Does anyone else with an Alpine (stock) radio have a clock that is ALWAYS gaining time. You would think for that price, you would get a clock at least as good as a $2.00 stick-on. :(

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chad, if you still have that cap I could use it. I don't think my duct tape with a tie-wrap is a very good long term solution!

Mike M

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, Many many posts on this, search cap and fire. Read hipoengineering.com. I bought my Viper with 800 miles and read about this and mine was almost off. I developed the Roe Racing and Archer Racing vent tube. You can secure it many ways but this product for $30 looks oem, uses viton rubber that won't deteriorate from PS fluid contact and causes no modification or drilling. The tube also can't kink and stop the required venting of the reservoir.

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig, I'll get that ordered! Thanks for the info, especially the "no drilling" part ...

EDIT: Chad, I won't need that power steering cap after all. I ordered it alongside the vent tube kit to take advantage of ease and one shipping charge. Thanks again!

Mike M

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check this out ... Turns out it wasn't gone at all. It was there, just in pieces. The stick part of the cap assembly was bathing in the power steering fluid reservoir. The cap part was laying on a suspension piece on the driver's side.

I've never seen one come apart like that. But I've got the new cap, and the vent tube kit installed now. So it can't come off unless I put some work into getting it off. Well, assuming it never breaks in two pieces like the original [Insert Dodge jokes here!]

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Mike M

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of that before. There is no reason it should happen because stress on the inner piece isn't caused when you tighten it. Just not a well made piece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog