Cooling Fan Behaviour - hard to explain

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the upgraded fan and controller installed on my 96 RT/10, and I have been observing very strange behaviour...I would like to ask the gurus if this seems strange...

First off, I also had the coolant changed, and I think I might have some air in the system, as driving in 55-60 degree ambient temps, cruising at 40 mph, the temp gauge went about 2/3 of the way between the 190 and the 225 tick...That seems high for such cool temps outside...The temp did come back down to 190, but again, not as fast as I would expect given the outside temps...

Today, upon starting the car which was cold (temp gauge all the way to the left) the cooling fan came on for ~ 30 seconds then shut off...weird I think...Then when the temp was 1/2 way between 100 and 190, again, the fan cycled on for less than a minute...Also, when leaving work, engine was still warm when I left, gauge read bang on the 190, straight up temp gauge reading, and the fan came on for a short time again...

This sure seems strange to me...ANyone know if this is normal, or what could cause all this blowing of hot air :D

Tomer

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your fan cycling every time you get close to or at 190 sounds reasonable. The temps your seeing are not. Well, they're normal if you have air in your system.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your computer may still be learning about your new fan; it may subside after a few more runs. Did a check engine light come on? If so, this is probably the case. That still doesn't rule out air in your coolant line.

OP
OP
T

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ViperRay, no I did not get a check engine light, and I hope the computer is still learning...I have not driven it too far since the work was done (maybe 200 miles)...

The coolant change was done by a very competent Viper Tech, but it seems like I need to try the "burp" procedure...

SInce my surge tank (under the hood with rad cap) is full, should I remove about 1/2 of this coolant so I can squeeze the driver's side rad hose and see if there is any air in there? Then refill the surge tank...I do have the procedure from this site.

thanks
Tomer

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When burping, it's better to extend the opening up with a piece of tight fitting pipe or something to that nature. If you can't find something handy, then remove enough to bring it down to about 2/3. Prepare for fluid splashing out as you squeeze the radiator hose or when air burps out.