Cost to change rear ratio

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My info from Dana and Unitrax is that Dana markets a Dana 44 and a Dana Super 44 gear set. The standard Dana 44 gear set in the 3.55 ratio is actually manufactured for Jeeps. It's the exact same dimensional size as the 3.07 and will therefore fit in the Viper. Dana will not "officially" recommend anything other than the 3.07 for the Viper because that is what they build for the Dodge Division of Chrysler Corp. for the Viper. Unitrax, whose name and knowledge of the product is well known and documented, as I remember when I had them do mine, does not recommend the Dana 44 Jeep gear set since the torque of the Viper is roughly twice the numbers created by the Jeep. They want you to use the Dana Super 44 gear set, which either has a higher strength alloy steel in the gears or maybe hardened to a higher spec, whatever! The price differential is only slightly higher than the standard 44's (guessing about 20%), therefore it sounded like a no-brainer to go with the more expensive gears. I'm sure there's no problem with the Jeep 3.55's....unless they fail. Not worth the gamble to me for $50-75 in price difference.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tzoid,
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.
Now we just need to post the correct part # so nobody makes the error of purchasing the Jeep gear (the guy at the parts counter may not be aware of the differences) and knows what it should cost (around $200?). Do you, Paul, or anyone else have it? I've got the 3.07's in our cars and don't plan to change, but it would be useful to others.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 01-29-2002 at 07:55 AM</font>

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I must eat crow!! I checked my Dana dealer and was informed that in 2001 Mopar has now forced Dana/Spicer to made the Super 44 3.55 gear set proprietary to Mopar Dealers Only. I put mine in 1999. Mopar part # is P5007021. If Jon B can get them for under $200 that's a deal.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I continue to search to have this "cheap" mod done i called a local vette shop.
The quote to swap it out with the gears i would provide.
$1,000 Labor!!

UNREAL!!

So much for $350 labor.

The search for a rearend gear swap guy at a reasonable cost continues.