DAIMLER/CHRYSLER INSISTS ON CRUSHING! A PERFECT 2001 RT/10

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the dollar amount that you offered $5k over of? Is there a set salvage value of a Viper with no engine?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I IMMEDIATELY CONTACT DIRECTLY THE D/C ATTORNEY AND OFFER $5,000 MORE THAN THE SALVAGE VALUE, I OFFER TO SIGN A FULL RELEASE, AND I EVEN OFFER THEM THE MOTOR BACK.. I WANT TO RETAIN THE SALVAGE AND KEEP THE CAR..

That's the other part I don't understand. If you felt so strongly about the car you were willing to buy it back for 5K over salvage value then why didn't you just buy another motor for it?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the rep figured that D-C would do with this car like they do with other buy backs, but, due to the age of the car and that fact that it is a previous generation, and that they may not warranty it (due to age) that it was not prudent to offer it as a buyback. it is well outside the lemon law statues in every state, as far as I know, and it could set an ugly precedent for every other person with a 4 year old car they are having problems with to sue D-C. Ergo - you get it out of circulation.

Or, they would rather set themselves on fire than to sell it back to YOU?????

Either choice has equal plausibility.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say let them crush it, buy it back and then you will have the "PERFECT" Coffee table...........as long as you dont mind it overheating now and then.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< why didn't you just buy another motor for it? >>

I dont think it would have mattered chuck.

<< AFTER THE 4 MONTH ENGINE REBUILD ON A COOL MORNING CRUSING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 70 MPH IN 5TH AT 2,250 RPM THE TEMP GAUGE STARTED CLIMBING AGAIN >>

70 MPH in fifth gear on the original motor - runs hot, 70 MPH in fifth gear on a rebuilt motor - runs hot.

Mine would run hot too if I drove like that. Plus, I have a tendency to read most peoples truths somewhere in the middle. I am guessing the car was probably driven at 80 MPH in fourth gear, and not for quick trips to get a Big Gulp at the nearest Seven-11 either.

Besides, the motor was completely rebuilt, (with every part examined carefully I am sure), add in a new thermostat, and a better radiator, as stated by "MR CAPS" earlier. From a cars perspective - what other parts do I have, that can keep causing this overheating problem? Anyone? I can't think of any.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< AFTER THE 4 MONTH ENGINE REBUILD ON A COOL MORNING CRUSING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 70 MPH IN 5TH AT 2,250 RPM THE TEMP GAUGE STARTED CLIMBING AGAIN >>

I am guessing the car was probably driven at 80 MPH in fourth gear, and not for quick trips to get a Big Gulp at the nearest Seven-11 either.

Good point BnI. I should have figured it was an exageration, I mean c'mon, who cruises 70mph on the highway in a Viper? At the very least we all push that "9mph over" rule. LOL

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me dumb, but after taking the time to read this thread, it was NOT a perfectly good RT/10.

You got what you wanted, so just let it go...

it is a shame to see a snake crushed, but it happens.

JD

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT REALLY MAKE??.. I AM LAZY..I DONT TURN THE CAPS OFF..

SOME PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND NEVER TURN THE CAPS ON AND THEY TYPE IN ALL LOWER CASE... SOME OTHERS HAVE OBVIOUS NUMEROUS TYPOS THAT THEY DONT BOTHER TO CORRECT..

MY TYPING IN CAPS SEEMS TO BE THE MAIN FOCUS AND NOT THE MESSAGE FOR MANY OF YOU..
"Lazy"??? Pleeeeeeze.

You're not lazy. You're arrogant, supercilious and WAY too stubborn a (genitalia challenged) person to simply click a keyboard button (once) to effect the single change that EVERYONE here has asked of you for YEARS!

It's YOUR panache to be an eprick. Well CONGRATULATIONS EPRICK! We mere Dodge mortals are simply dripping with sympathy for your concerns.

THIS I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND..
Ya think?

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres an idea......how about we just stop responding to this tool? Whether he is one whiney, arrogant,lazy ***** who refuses after years of asking to remove the caps, or some 13 prepubescent ***** who is here for the thrill of getting fired up, why not just stop responding?

your wives/husbands(and in Jon's case- boyfriends hehe JK) ever given you the silent treatment? then you all know the power of silence!!

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REGARDING THE VALUE ON THE SALVAGE ..

I ESTIMATED THAT THE WRECKING YARD WOULD NET AROUND $20K MAX FOR THE UNCRUSHED PARTS MINUS THEIR COSTS.. I FIGURED THAT THEY WOULD PAY D/C $15-18K ,SO I OFFERED D/C $23K AND THAT I WOULD RETURN THE ENGINE..PLUS A FULL RELEASE AND IMDEMNIFICIATION!.. D/C CAN NEVER BE SUED AGAIN!

AT $23K PLUS ANOTHER $10-12K FOR A NEW MOTOR I WOULD BE IN THE CAR $35,000..

I ORIGINALLY PAID $60,000 FOR THE CAR PLUS ANOTHER $3,900 OUT OF POCKET IN REPAIR PARTS AND LABOR TO TRY AND FIX THE OVERHEATING PROBLEM..(LARGER RADIATOR,NEW PCM,THERMOSTATS +++)..

AT $35K VS THE $64K I WAS IN THE CAR IT WAS WORTH MY TIME AND TROUBLE TO SAVE AND FIX THE CAR AND DRIVE IT...

THE HISTORY OF THE CAR..

I BOUGHT IT USED WITH 8,200 MILES ON IT..

FOR THE FIRST 1,000 MILES THAT I OWNED THE CAR IT RAN GREAT! NEVER MUCH PAST THE THIRD BAR.. NO OVERHEATING PROBLEMS..

THEN IT STARTING RUNNING HOT AND IT SEEMED THE MORE I DROVE IT THE HOTTER IT GOT..THE NEEDLE WOULD NEARLY TOUCH THE RED! EVEN IF I DROVE THE CAR LIKE A MINI VAN..

I STARTED TO THROW MONEY AT IT TO FIX IT,,,

YES I STARTED TO COMPLAIN!

IT WAS NOT MY IMAGINATION!!
WHEN THE ENGINE WAS DISASSEMBLED AT ARROW RACING THEY REPORTED THAT THE ENGINE DID IN FACT HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS! PROBLEMS THAT WOULD CAUSE IT TO RUN VERY HOT!!! PROBLEMS THAT I COULD NOT HAVE CAUSED (THE LINERS HAD MOVED IN THE BLOCK PLUS OTHER SERIOUS ABNORMAL WEAR FACTORS)..

WHEN I FINALLY GOT IT BACK AFTER 4 MONTHS(I WAS QUOTED 4-6 WEEKS) IT STARTED RUNNING HOT IMMEDIATELY.. THE NEEDLE NEAR THE RED AGAIN!! 245 CONFIRMED DEGREES!

YES I WAS PISSED AND I COMPLAINED VERY LOUDLY!!!

DURING THE TIME THE ATTORNEYS WERE IN NEGOTIATIONS AND AFTER D/C HAD ALREADY MADE US A VERY GOOD OFFER IS WHEN THE ENGINE BLEW UP!

THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE TO DAMAGE THE ENGINE D/C DID NOT DISPUTE THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINE AND THAT IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED!!

THE FACT THAT THE ENGINE BLEW UP AT VERY LOW RPM SHOULD BE PROOF TO ANY REASONABLY INTELLIGENT PERSON THAT I WAS NOT CRAZY ( OK MAYBE I AM) THERE WAS SOMTHING VERY WRONG WITH THAT ENGINE!

IF YOU GUYS DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A CAR THAT UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITONS RUNS WITH THE TEMP GAUGE NEARLY PEGGED THEN I GUESS YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND..

:confused:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so happy Execdirtbag no longer has a Viper. Now he can go away since he has NO reason to be here.

Just go away.

To bad we can't ban this troll.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this guy a fuc king ********.He gets what he wants then he just wants more.People like this makes me sick and pissed!They abuse and abuse.They are other wise known as asholes.I hope they crush the mother ****** so called lemon and send him pieces of it with his check.(under the circumstance)Nothing is ever good enough.If the car was a piece of [******] why would he want it back?He should of asked for what he wanted.d/c to give him a viper.What a dickheead

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange that Arrow wouldn't catch the overheating when they ran it after rebuild.
It does sound like the waterpump shaft problem.

And I know some folks seem to be rubbed the wrong way by EXMALIBU.

But,
All the harping on him for the all caps is just nonsense.

The fact is, he can type with fewer shifts by using all caps.
I don't do it, but it actually does save a little effort if you are into saving effort.

The idea that caps = yelling?
Well, I know that's what it means to some, but it really isn't yelling.
Yelling is loud. All caps are simply all caps. If no one ever told you that it was yelling, would you come up with that on your own?

He knows you don't like caps. I suspect he enjoys the attention that he gets by using all caps.

Making a big deal out of all caps is really a geek thing.

Why not just ignore it.

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOE117,

ACCORDING TO TODD AT ARROW THEY ONLY RUN THE ENGINES ON THE DYNO FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEY PROBABLY HAVE A VERY EFFICIENT COOLING SYSTEM FOR THE RACE ENGINES.. IT USED TO TAKE A VERY LONG DRIVE (GOING FAST OR SLOW) FOR THE TEMP GAUGE TO VERY SLOWLY CONTINUE TO CLIMB TO NEARLY THE RED.. THE LONGER THE DRIVE THE HOTTER IT GOT..

WE REPLACED THE WATER PUMP 4 TIMES!!

AS FAR AS THE CAPS I HAVE EXPLAINED NUMEROUS TIMES BEFORE THAT IT IS NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE..I AM ONLY TYPING IN CAPS AND NOT YELLING.. JUST TYPING..

BECAUSE I REFUSE TO CONFORM TO THEIR RULES IF SOMEONE IS OFFENED THEN I AM SORRY THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM... IF THEY THINK I AM AN ARROGANT [******] ..OH WELL...

TRUTHFULLY ISNT EVERYONE THAT DRIVES A $75,000 450 HP SUPER EXOTIC CAR (USUALLY IN BRIGHT RED OR YELLOW) THAT SCREEMS LOOK AT ME, AT LITTLE ARROGANT ALSO?? MOST OF THE GUYS POST ALL OF THEIR OTHER CARS AND MODS..

ISNT THAT CONSIDERED ARROGANT, SHOWING OFF AND BRAGGING?

I HAVE BEEN USING THE INTERNET SINCE 1998 AND ALWAYS USING CAPS..I HAVE NEVER..I REPEAT NEVER IN THOUSANDS OF POSTS AND EMAILS HAD ANYONE EVER SAY BOO ABOUT USING ALL CAPS! EXCEPT ON THIS SITE!

MOST OF THE GUYS ON THIS BOARD PROBABLY ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE USED TO GET INSANLY OFFENDED IN THE LATE SIXTIES BECAUSE I HAD LONG HAIR AND WOULD NOT CONFORM TO THOSE RULES EITHER..

BOTH THEN AND EVEN TODAY PEOPLE HAVE DIED JUST BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT CONFORM.. I BET THAT SOME OF THESE GUYS WHO LIKE TO KILL ME JUST BECAUSE OF HOW I TYPE...

MANY TIMES WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I WAS TOLD THAT IF I CONFORMED AND PLAYED BY THE RULES THAT I WOULD GO MUCH FARTHER IN LIFE AND THINGS WILL BE EASIER...
I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT VIRTUALLY EVERY PERSON THAT GAVE ME THAT SAME CONFORM SPEECH ARE ALL STILL 9-5ERS AND COULD NEVER AFFORD A VIPER..

I STARTED WITH NOTHING AND BOUGHT MY FIRST FERRARI WHEN I WAS 25(PAID CASH) AND MY HOUSE IN MALIBU WHEN I WAS 30.. I AM ARROGANT..YEP! HAVE I EVER CONFORMED AND PLAYED BY THE RULES?? NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL!..

TO QUOTE A FAVORITE LINE FROM THE MOVIE 48 HOURS.. (I SUPPLIED THE PORSCHE)

THE CHIEF TELLS NICK NOLTE (A MALIBU LOCAL) THAT THERE "WILL NOT BE ANY HOT DOOGING ON THIS ONE "... NOLTE REPLIES "HOT DOGGING HAS WORKED REAL WELL FOR ME SO FAR"...THE CHIEF REPLIES
" FINE THEN YOU HAD BETTER MAKE US ALL LOOK GOOD"

WELL HOT DOGGING HAS ALSO WORKED REAL WELL FOR ME... SO FAR..

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exec that was the best post I have ever read from you. It lacked the condescending attitude that I have grown to expect. And it was the condescending attitude that turned me off more than the caps themselves. I took the constant use of caps, when people were pleading for you to use normal text, as a show of superiority.

Regarding conformance it is doubtful too many Viper owners are conformists. Especially for speed laws :)

It is too late now for your car but I would bet that had you been less condescending in earlier posts that you would have found assistance that may have lead to a solution. A couple of thermocouples and a flow meter and we could have quickly determined if it was a heat creation or heat rejection problem. Not something most or any mechanics would do but the engineers among us could do it quite easily.

The bottom line is that your actions turned most of us off so we not only did not volunteer to help, we may have actually been hoping you would not succeed in fixing your car. Since all we knew/know of you is what you post and how you post it, the manner of your posts is quite important. Had you really wanted our help you would have conformed (using small text) to improve your odds of getting help. The logic stated in your post above does not cut it as the "non-conformist" aspects were proven to be keys to success. In this case it was the key to failure.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXEC

i agree with motorcity 100% and noticed the same thing. i too agree with your non-conforming efforts, and love it when people think "outside the box". if i was still conforming, i would stiil have a 9-5 job, and be making 1/3 what i am today.

however, i disagree with the use of the word "conforming", when your use of caps is mentioned. i think that the continued use of caps is more of an ETIQUETTE thing instead.

i think that it is just proper internet ETIQUETTE to not type in caps, just like i think it is proper etiquette not to talk on your cell phone while having lunch with someone for example.

i applaud your non-conformity, and continued success. :2tu: but please think of others, and i think you will find others will have a greater respect for you if you do, no matter what your views are. my .02.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly Big.
He is confusing conformity with simple courtesy and rsspect for others. Simple.

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BIG. STUGTOS AND SOME OF THE OTHERS,,

ALERT! ALERT!!

SOMEONE ELSE IS TYPING IN ALL CAPS!....

LETS GO KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THE OTHER VCA MEMBER GT40DOC!

JUST BECAUSE HE IS A DOCTOR HE THINKS THAT DO WHAT EVER HE WANTS..HE IS REALLY ******* ME OFF THAT RICH ARROGANT BASSTARD..

JUST KIDDING.. (NO OFFENSE DOC)

PROPER ETIQUITTE IS VERY SUBJECTIVE AND CONSTANTLY CHANGING..

HOW MANY OF YOU STILL WERE POWERED WIGS?

WEARING A T-SHIRT NOT COVERED BY A SHIRT WAS IN TERRIBLY BAD TASTE AND IMPROPER ETIQUETTE..

IN 1966 IT WAS PROPER ETIQUETTE TO MAKE SAMMY DAVIS JR COME IN THROUGH THE BACK DOOR OF THE VEGAS HOTELS THAT HE PERFORMED AT..AND IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO ACUALLY STAY IN THE HOTEL..

NOT UNTIL SINATRA STOOD UP AND SAID "FUUCCK THIS" THAT IS WHEN THEY FINALLY CHANGED THE RULES ON THAT ETIQUITTE..

THERE WAS A RULE THAT A TIE AND JACKET WERE REQUIRED AT ALL EXPENSIVE RESTURANTS..NOW A TANK-TOP AND FLIP FLOPS ARE NOT A PROBLEM..

CAN YOU IMAGINE 15 YEARS AGO HOW PEOPLE WOULD HAVE FLIPPED OUT TO SEE BLACK TENNIS SHOCKS AT WIMBLETON... BUT WHEN AGGASSI WORE THEM NO ONE SAID BOOO...

AND WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THE R RATED LANGUAGE AND **** AND ASS SHOTS THEY SHOW ON PRIME-TIME TV? I LOVE IT BUT TALK ABOUT BAD ETIQUITTE FOR THE JERRY FALLWELL GROUP..

REMEMBER IT WAS NOT UNTIL SOME OF YOU GUYS STARTED GETTING VERY OFFENSIVE AND VERY INSULTING THAT I RESPONDED IN KIND..

I DONT WANT TO FIGHT WITH YOU GUYS I JUST WANT TO TALK VIPER..

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So talk VIPER and stop the whining. Hey there's nothing wrong with working a 9-5 job. I work 16 hours days ALL the time, and i dont get paid by the hour because i'm in the Marines. I have a Viper, goes to show you that if you want something bad enough, theres ways to get it LOL.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to say that I have no trouble reading the all caps text.

"i think that it is just proper internet ETIQUETTE to not type in caps,"

I think that it's poor etiquette to mention it more than once.

After that, don't read it if you don't like the looks of the text format.
IMO, Only a real GEEK would care if someone used all caps. Get over it.

Hard to read?
I have no trouble reading all caps.
I find long texts with no breaks, hard to read. If it isn't something really interesting, I just don't finish it.

His attitude?
I can't stand up for his attitude. But I don't think it's the worst I've seen on here.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you visited a foreign country, and were unaware of a main core principal of etiquette, and you violated it - if it were pointed out to you that what you did is considered in bad manners - would you continually do it and expect the host country to welcome you? Would you expect the person that told you of the courtesy breach to assist you? No - unless you were a complete arrogant a-hole.

It's bad manners.

Here's a little resource about "netiquette" - please note that not typing in all caps is the first item covered under "the basics".

http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

An excerpt:
Do not type in all caps. Typing in all caps is considered yelling or screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not being considerate of those who will have to read their e-mail. Various studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to read text that is typed in all caps. And for those who question "What studies?" here is one example for your reading pleasure:

http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/~muter/pmuter1.htm

So, when this poster comes to an online forum, on in which most all other participants have been able to abide by this "society's" acceptable manners and behavior and decides that he does not need to show the community any courtesy, then he's just being rude.

And I suppose, proper real manners would dictate that we just ignore him, but netiquette is a little more "lenient" and the flaming the way that manifests itself.

And worse yet, he comes to this community and asks for help - and refuses to make any adjustments when the community asks him to - well, that IS inconsiderate. (and yes - I mean that as yelling.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21