Does 6th gear kill the cluth if going under 120mph

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question, I looked at a 96 gts and the guy told me that the clutch had to be replaced due to him driving in 6th gear at speeds under 120mph. This seems a little fishy, I have always thought that you can drive in 6th gear at speeds lower than that and it wont wear out the clutch. Can someone please verify this for my. Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a question, I looked at a 96 gts and the guy told me that the clutch had to be replaced due to him driving in 6th gear at speeds under 120mph. This seems a little fishy, I have always thought that you can drive in 6th gear at speeds lower than that and it wont wear out the clutch. Can someone please verify this for my. Thanks

Tuna
Salmon
Trout
Halibut

Miles on car? Who/What is 'the guy' ?

PS. This is your multiple thread on your several questions about your car-hunt. PLEASE consider using ONE of your earlier, ongoing threads? Thanks

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds more than "fishy" to me ("B.S." comes to mind)...several Vipers here driven in 6th whenever appropriate...NO clutch problems to date.

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, won't hurt it. Just keep your engine rpms above idle rpms.

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys.... which one do you recommend. the 96 or 97 blue and white gts

justin5809

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my 1996 because the stripes go through the plate looks much better IMO.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as some have said, sounds like BS. I have driven plenty in 6th with no problems at speeds of 75+. See if the seller will go lower on price (say 2000k lower). You can get a used trans for 1k and installation is a little over 2 hrs (at least for my Viper tech). But that 6th gear thing sounds like BS. Could be hiding over things. Tell the seller you will buy the car contingent on him getting the trans fixed by a viper tech.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suppose if it's got huge hp and he speed shifted into 6th instead of 4th at 120mph with the Nitrous on - that could hurt the clutch. Driving means the clutch is fully engaged and no wear is possible.

Ted

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in 6th gear everyday and I have 46000 miles on the original clutch and never have had any problems. Clutch is strong as when I first got her w/ 19k miles in 2004.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Perhaps he means the opposite? Driving under 120MPH in 6th is fine, but really higher speeds and 6th gear don't mix well.

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Manufacturers do not design street legal cars with gearing that cannot be used doing legal speeds. Of course 6th gear can be used under 120mph

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang