Draining coolant from block

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I`m draining the coolant from my 1998 GTS and would also like to pull the plugs out on the right and left underside of the motor to do a more complete job of draining. I`m wondering if it is worth the trouble of pulling those two plugs. Anyone know how much coolant will drain from the block?
Thanks

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is, get a big pan. I went through the trouble of putting plastic under the motor except where the plugs are. Huge job, but kept the underside from getting hosed with coolant. I'm fanatical, I replaced the plugs filled motor with distilled water and immediately drained again to flush out the block.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are those plugs located at? The Service Manual provides no picture, just a vague description.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the factory use on the plugs when you put them back in? An antiseeze type material, but isn't it orange or brown if I recall?

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my coolant changed at the dealer using the machine that ***** the old out and puts new in. Does this also **** all the coolant from the block as well?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Flush" the cooling system. In other words circulate enough to make sure all the old is gone and nothing but new coolant/water is left. I wouldn't be knocking out frost plugs unless you have another reason to do this.

OP
OP
R

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea how much coolant is going to drain from the block by pulling the plugs?

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't you just have the radiator drain open and have a hose in the radiator refill and run the engine for a few minutes? This worked great in my Cobra.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact amount, about 1/2 - 3/4 gal. By the way, these are not freeze plugs you knock out. They are drain plugs that are easy to unscrew out. I made my own tool out of an oversize male allen socket, by grinding it down to the right size. This is the only proper way to get all the sediment out of the block. No machine can do this unless they are tapping into this area. I used teflon tape, not anti-sieze. Anti-sieze is not usually used for sealing purposes.

R

RTED

Just replaced headgaskets few weeks ago. Chuck Tator highly recomended draining the block from either side. More coolant than I expected came out of each side, so be prepared. Tator recommended replacing the plugs with teflon tape snuggly, but do not overtighten - aluminum block. We had to remove the starter to remove the driver side plug. Made a tool by grinding down a 1/2 inch socket extension and applied even steady preasure and the both came out - no problem. Hope this helps! :usa: