Dynamat under rear carpet ?

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Jon refers to it, the inside rear of the GTS acts like a drum and echos sound. Is it a major job to install Dynamat under the rear carpet and covers and does it make a difference?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed 100 sq ft of it into my restoration project. Although I have not driven in it yet to know, it did remove alot of echo from the metal panels. i went with 80 thou thick material for maximum deadning.

Also if you look on ebay, you will find people that sell this stuff in bulk. i looked for about 6 months and as a last resort tried fleabay, and sure enough....

Robert

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dynamat or any acoustic mat isn't really necessary. It just adds weight. Although it does dampen and deaden certain frequencies you can easily tune your system to compensate. I know of some champion sound competition vehicles that don't use a shred of the stuff.

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my hole car. Made a huge difference with sound, heat & kept it cooler inside when running the a/c. It will add some weight. The benefit was more important to me.:2tu:

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 56

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my hole car. Made a huge difference with sound, heat & kept it cooler inside when running the a/c. It will add some weight. The benefit was more important to me.:2tu:
You can always adjust for weight by adjusting the amount of fuel you put in the tank....good job....

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great site. After reading all that, I went with Second Skin Damplifier in my car as a vibration damper (80 sq ft), then 36 sq ft of closed cell foam as a decoupler under 32 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl as a noise barrier (last two are applied to horizontal surfaces in the trunk and floor pan, as well as the bulkhead behind the seats). This has made a significant difference in the amount of road and exhaust noise in the car. Total weight added was 65 lbs.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great site. After reading all that, I went with Second Skin Damplifier in my car as a vibration damper (80 sq ft), then 36 sq ft of closed cell foam as a decoupler under 32 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl as a noise barrier (last two are applied to horizontal surfaces in the trunk and floor pan, as well as the bulkhead behind the seats). This has made a significant difference in the amount of road and exhaust noise in the car. Total weight added was 65 lbs.

Did you notice any heat reduction?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the inside of the door panels and the seating areas up to the rear bulkhead with Damplifier from Second Skin. Added about 20 pounds. I did it while doing my side exhaust conversion which included hi flow cats so it's a little hard to quantify the noise and temp changes, but I will say that with the exhaust conversion I did I'd hate to hear it without the stuff.

65 pounds though? Man, that's a LOT of sound deadening stuff!

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you notice any heat reduction?

I haven't driven the car in really warm weather yet, so I don't know yet how effective the heat reduction will be.

I did the inside of the door panels and the seating areas up to the rear bulkhead with Damplifier from Second Skin. Added about 20 pounds. I did it while doing my side exhaust conversion which included hi flow cats so it's a little hard to quantify the noise and temp changes, but I will say that with the exhaust conversion I did I'd hate to hear it without the stuff.

65 pounds though? Man, that's a LOT of sound deadening stuff!

This was mostly the mass-loaded vinyl. The stuff is great for blocking noise, but weighs more than a pound per square foot. Since I don't track the car or drag race, instead using it mainly for cruising and long trips, I wasn't too worried about adding weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte