Exhaust Smell

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Situation:

1.) 1998 Viper GTS
2.) Stock headers & OEM cats (new), with Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust
3.) Windows up. No exhaust smell, no matter how I drive.
4.) Windows down. No exhaust smell when driving normally, but when I floor it and let off, exhaust smell is pretty bad. I figured with new OEM cats this would not be an issue.

Any suggestions? I don't hear an exhaust leak, but haven't checked with a fine tooth comb yet.... Any other possibilities other than exhaust/header leak?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question, me and a buddy were wondering the exact same thing. No smell whatsoever under normal driving conditions, ever. But when I nail it, get a strong acrid smell in the cockpit. Not all the time, but sometimes. I have a 98 GTS also. But I also noticed it following my friends '02 FE. I'm not so sure it is even the exhauset, it's a weird strong smell. When he gets on it, I smell the same thing from his car drifting back to me. Any ideas? We both have hi flo cats and he has a BB and I have a Corsa exhaust. Factory headers.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your rear exhausters are not sealing! There are two of them in GTS's and they are in the back outside part of you trunk area. They are covered with a mess that is attached to your carpet. They look like a grille with rubber flaps. They let air out when closing your doors so your ears won't pop! If they do not seal and you roll down a window at speed, it may let fumes back in.

Hope this helps? :cool:

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your rear exhausters are not sealing! There are two of them in GTS's and they are in the back outside part of you trunk area. They are covered with a mess that is attached to your carpet. They look like a grille with rubber flaps. They let air out when closing your doors so your ears won't pop! If they do not seal and you roll down a window at speed, it may let fumes back in.

Hope this helps? :cool:

Wizard,

That helps big time, and sounds like exactly what is happening. Now someone tell me how to fix this so I stop killing brain cells. Not many left, ya know...

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard,
That helps big time, and sounds like exactly what is happening. Now someone tell me how to fix this so I stop killing brain cells. Not many left, ya know...

Take a look at them to see if they are sealing. If they are not:
Bodyside Aperture Exhauster #4848591 MSRP $20.60 each [there are 4 of them on the GTS and there are 17 left in DC stock]

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard,

You nailed it again.... Pulled the carpet back and low and behold the top exhauster (drivers side) was not in place/secure. Just flopping around back there behind the metal frame.... It was dark when I looked, but I'm assuming I can snap this back in place. I don't need to remove any body panels, do I? Just pull the carpet fully back and I should have access?

Thanks.