factory10 airbox question, what happens if it rains?

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont make a habbit of driving in the rain but stuff happens, can any damage be done with a factory10 (H/\/\S) airbox?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much blockage going on inside the box, that's for sure...and no drain holes from what I can tell.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone having any promlems.

Most people don't drive too far in a storm and it would take a lot of water to get in and past the filters.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd worry if there were no drain holes.. **** the naca duct is a giant water scoop where we get a lot of rain.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We had one member get caught in a downpour...ingested water...hydrolock...motor GONE !!!

Above makes ME look closely at the multitude of airbox variations...ESPECIALLY, one that I recently saw with a supercharger below it...not sure how that setup will react to a load of water, though I DO tend to be a bit overly cautious.

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so it sounds like i need to pass, unless, there is a way to incorporate a drain??

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you (and may be caught in the rain) I'd pass.

The Viper is a weekend/fair weather toy for me so I can get away with dodging rain but if I coudln't be sure, I wouldn't look into it myself.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had one member get caught in a downpour...ingested water...hydrolock...motor GONE !!!

Above makes ME look closely at the multitude of airbox variations...ESPECIALLY, one that I recently saw with a supercharger below it...not sure how that setup will react to a load of water, though I DO tend to be a bit overly cautious.

I am in no way doubting the hyrostaticly locked motor.I am just wondering how in a simple downpoor a motor could injest so much water unless the filters were removed.We have done a lot of testing on this very issue and have found short of submerging the filters,they will not allow enough water by to do this type of damage.It may have been a situation where there wasnt a drain and a substantial amt of water pooled.But by the time it travels through the filter and what doesnt get dissipated by heat it takes a good amt.I would be pretty comfortable with any system that at least has drains.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott makes a good point - and, you could drill drainage holes in the bottom of the box before the filters...

Depends on the kind of rain you encounter there on a regular basis. Downpour? Sprinkle?

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some recent first hand experience on this. Earlier this month I had my factory 10 air box installed. On the drive home from the install, I got caught in a huge downpour. This wasn't your typical summer shower. It was one of those 30 minute massive rains that you sense coming. Anyway, my heart was racing as I tried to get home. If I had been thinking, I would have taken off my shirt and stuck it into the NACA duct beforehand. Anyway, when I got home, I popped the hood and took out the filters. They were soaked and water was dripping through them. The engine though was fine. Any water that passed must have vaporized before it could do any harm. I revcently bought a plug for the duct in case it happens again.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My comments were specifically aimed at the statement:
" I have never heard of anyone having any promlems.
Most people don't drive too far in a storm and it would take a lot of water to get in and past the filters." in Anthony's post.

Agree with Vipermed that a "simple downpour" may not be of much worry...but the case that I referenced was a REAL downpour complicated by instantaneously rising water...bingo! My point is that it CAN happen.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I have some recent first hand experience on this. Earlier this month I had my factory 10 air box installed. On the drive home from the install, I got caught in a huge downpour. This wasn't your typical summer shower. It was one of those 30 minute massive rains that you sense coming. Anyway, my heart was racing as I tried to get home. If I had been thinking, I would have taken off my shirt and stuck it into the NACA duct beforehand. Anyway, when I got home, I popped the hood and took out the filters. They were soaked and water was dripping through them. The engine though was fine. Any water that passed must have vaporized before it could do any harm. I revcently bought a plug for the duct in case it happens again.

I haven't had any problem yet, however, in case of a major downpour or when washing my car a NACA duct plug sounds like a good idea. Where did you get it? Manufacturer? Part #? Price?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a [******] airbox at one time and was caught in a couple of very severe downpours. There was never a problem and my engine ran without a glitch.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The airbox does have some drain holes in the bottom, just ahead of the filters. However, they are quite small - about 1/8" diameter. If they are much larger, you would begin to bleed off any positive pressure in the box. It will bleed pressure anyway unless it is sealed around the inlet.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any problem yet, however, in case of a major downpour or when washing my car a NACA duct plug sounds like a good idea. Where did you get it? Manufacturer? Part #? Price?

[/QUOTE]

I bought the smallest plug from JEGS. I don't know the part number off-hand, but it is still way too big and needs to be cut. Due to the hard plastic on one side, it is a [******] to do with a hand saw. You can probably find a cheaper and better piece of deformable foam from home depot to fill the duct.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

I bought the smallest plug from JEGS. I don't know the part number off-hand, but it is still way too big and needs to be cut. Due to the hard plastic on one side, it is a [******] to do with a hand saw. You can probably find a cheaper and better piece of deformable foam from home depot to fill the duct.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. That is a good idea with the foam. I'm going to see what I can do with that this weekend.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The more that I think about this issue (or NON-issue !!!), the more curious I get...ADMITTING that I have NO ability to compare stock to modified airboxes (of any brand), and therefore NO scientific basis to speculate on performance in general, let alone water management...one can only wonder at what point COULD a given system be overwhelmed by water (short of complete submersion. Viper airbox varients (as well as stock) might make an interesting study at the university level at a mechanical engineering school...then add ram effect/forced induction later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas