Ferrari 355 or GTS

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this is amusing to me. I was out at a club last night and there is this yellow 355 Ferrari that has been lowered and modified alittle, as far as I can tell. The owner is young like me so there is alittle competition going on I guess, he begins to say how he paid $176000 for his car which I dont believe being that its a 97 or 98 coupe. The Car looks sweet and im sure its fast and all but the owner begins to chastise me for owning a 2001 saphire Viper GTS. He begins to challenge me to a 1/4 mile race and the winner takes $2000.00. Keep in mind that my Viper is a venom 600 that puts out 530 at the rear. My question is, Can this guy even compare to a stock Viper? Could he have that much work done to the Ferrari? Ive never heard of anyone modifiying a Ferrari in the first place. Should I completely just hand over a plate of reality and turn out his lights or what?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this is amusing to me. I was out at a club last night and there is this yellow 355 Ferrari that has been lowered and modified alittle, as far as I can tell. The owner is young like me so there is alittle competition going on I guess, he begins to say how he paid $176000 for his car which I dont believe being that its a 97 or 98 coupe. The Car looks sweet and im sure its fast and all but the owner begins to chastise me for owning a 2001 saphire Viper GTS. He begins to challenge me to a 1/4 mile race and the winner takes $2000.00. Keep in mind that my Viper is a venom 600 that puts out 530 at the rear. My question is, Can this guy even compare to a stock Viper? Could he have that much work done to the Ferrari? Ive never heard of anyone modifiying a Ferrari in the first place. Should I completely just hand over a plate of reality and turn out his lights or what?

I say give him a dose of reality! Tell him that the color fits him perfectly! LOL
207driving_patches-thumb.gif

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of one company that mods Ferraris, not sure if they include the F355. There was an article a few years ago on them in Car and Driver (I don't have the article on me, it's in another state). They supercharged an F50 and either a 512 or F40. Most Italian princesses get Tubi exhaust as the first and only mod, from what I hear. I'd ask to hear the engine and listen for a high pitched whine (supercharger).
[Edit]: biotch smack him. Then give him a bumper sticker reading:"no replacement for displacement"

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
let him have it man, besides you need to establish the viper's dominance at that club, have him bowing in shame whenever you show up.

Besides, i dont think his ferrari can match you with what you have under the hood. you can probably run low 11's to high 10's in a 650R right? Very unlikely that he has that ability. But as people have stated above, make sure you do some homework first.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are shops that do custom work an any car so I wouldnt discount the fact that it could be SCed ot TTed...I read on Supraforums of a Viper GTS with a Mugen exhaust that was custom done for this particular guy...Mugen is a Honda only tuner so you see where Im coming from...

That being said I still think you would beat tha tar outta him....But like someone said do your homework since it seems you cant race this guy for fun since his ego is in the way...

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is he paid twice as much for a slower car. The top of the line '97 355 went for 154k new with 375hp and a R&T 1/4 mile of 13.7. Ouch! Even if these are bad #'s on a bad test day a stock Viper would smoke him.

However, if he's got 176k into the car that's 20k in mods. (assuming he was bragging off the sticker) Do you know anybody that knows him well enough to know his mods. He sounds like someone just blowing smoke. My money would definitely be on you.

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agee with you guys, His egos the problem. Im gonna crush him. I probably could give him a taste of an 11.5 on street tires with the 600r. Ill make sure we have a third party holding the coin. Ill need to do it sober of course, Ill keep you guys posted when he gets beck into town. Glad to be here, thanks fellas..

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote here for his EGO talking.

Ferrari 355s and 360s are like Honda S2000s and NSXs in the regard that they are already VERY tweaked from the factory to get reasonable power from relatively little displacement.

And modding the car is VERY expensive and real-world gains are not too dramatic in terms of real performance.

I'm guessing the the $2000 bet was devised to scare you off, and that as long as you don't sit and spin your tires forever, you can EASILY take him in the 1/4 mile.

When I had my last Corvette I raced a guy (at the track) Who had a Jag XKR coupe, and he was convinced that his car would easily get a 13.0-13.3 1/4 mile time (because that was the best magazine time for the car), and he got 14.0 twice.

He was good natured about the loss, but I'm sure that Mr. Big-Ego-Yellow-355 has read that Vipers are all hype, and he tells all of his Ferrari friends that with his aftermarket exhaust he runs 10s easily. :laugh:

Personally, I would race him for fun, or a couple hundred bucks just to make the point. But if you have the cash to gamble, it's likely a decent bet that you will win (even from a 2nd gear start).

-Dean.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chip in a $100 too. Smoke him..........I had my SC Viper run a 355 Spyder about two months ago, and it was not even close. In fact, there was a Steeda Mustang in the mix too and he too smoked the 355. It had the normal Ferrari upgrade...Tubi exhaust.Go for it.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Guy must have a big mouth and lost touch with reality.
F355 will even loose from a C5 !
Most people put a Tubi exhaust on those things, but that will not help him against the big mean Viper.

Plain stupid to challenge you on the quarter mile...
If he were to have a modded car, he'd maybe stand a chance racing you around the track (those cars handle really well), but the quarter mile...stupid !

Paying 180K for that kind of car is also pretty [******] 'interesting'. Friend of mine picked one up for $110K 2 years ago. Now they are more in the $80K area.
Hey watch out - maybe he's got an F50 engine in there ! :D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please, embarass him and take his MONEY!! "EASY money". His arrogant attitude needs to be set straight. I mean, as soon as you meet he starts bragging about how much he paid for his car, and then challenges you to a race?! :rolleyes: He needs to be taught a lesson, and you have the Snake to really make the point! :laugh:

Make sure you agree on terms, $$$, tires, and who will Video it!! As it MUST be caught on VIDEO so we can all enjoy it here! :usa:

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck yes I want to see the video of this, smack talk, the race, and then the Ferrari handing over his 2g.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey SMC..I ran a 355 red one from Brooklyn going to the exotic car meet last year on ocean parkway.Even though it was wrong of me to do, It's along 6 mile stretch on the beach front of LI. Let me say this to you. Do not fear that car.It is crap.Sounds great, looks good, but when it comes to beating a Viper you will eat him alive...Put your $2,000 down and ruin him.Give him the break...

Tony

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Ferrari, and the F355 is a great car. However, a drag racer Ferrari is NOT. Sound great, tubi makes those suckers wail! But the motor isn't designed to be a torque monster.

De' got nothin' on a viper fer a strait line race. Even with the modena's time of the sub 4 range, they can't seem to muster the quarter times of a stock viper. Two completely different animals. You got you big heavy V10 FR config vs. a mid engine high-reving track car.

Smile, and take his money. Unless he had dropped a ton of money at Norwood or some other tuners.. than it won't hold a candle to the straitline of the V10.

MM

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for refreshing my memory, MadMaxx. It was Norwood who was the subject of tuning Ferraris in Car and Driver.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless he's modded the hell out of it he doesn't have a prayer...I've driven several 355's and while they are nice cars they are no match for the Viper, not even close...Could very well be the easiest 2 grand you ever make...

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's *anything* within reason that you could do to make a 355 run with a Venom 600. Put on some rear drag radials, practice your launches a few times, then go take his cash.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, C'mon...seriously humiliate the guy. But do it like this:

Find some local with a modified late-80s 5.0 Mustang street car (or something as mundane...I know guys with 11 second 4 door Omnis) that'll run somewhere in the 12s on street tires. Borrow the 'Stang and spank that gold chain goombah ride back to New Jersey!

Save your Venom for something more challenging.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari F355s are one of my favorite cars. They are spectacular looking and I'd love to own one. However, his car would need to be seriously modified (not easy to do on a Ferrari) to beat your car.

I ran at Laguna Seca with the Ferrari Club and had a higher top speed in my stock 99 GTS on the main straight then F355s and 360 Modenas. The Viper acceleration past 100 mph is simply stronger then the Ferraris.

BTW, the Ferrari Club guys were a great group. Too bad this guys an a$$

Jim

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a guy in a 355 laugh at me one time when I was in one of my Vettes. I revved the engine next to him, he smirked and followed me to a back road. It still had the dealer tags on, and it had a REALLY hot woman in the passenger seat. He got ABSOLUTELY killed! The Vette ran low 11's, but I beat him by about 20 car lengths! He was humiliated I'm sure!

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard last night that he will be here in early June. I was told that he does alot of business in Cali. So we are on schedrule in a couple weeks. I will definitely have the camera running so that we can all laugh at this guy. I agree, the money exchange would be sweet after he looses. We could send the video over to the guys on the Ferrai forum, HAHA. I will keep you all posted, lets hope we can get this guy to put his money where his mouth is.

If anyone can tell me how to update my avaitor please tell b/c I need to change the pic to the Venom 600.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960