field mice in my GTS

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTs is being over run by field mice in my garage what could I do to get rid of them, since I dont use the car that often. For some reason they like to make nests under my fuel injection and on top of my heater box.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem, but they will eventually eat at the wires. Recommendation that was given here was to put poison packets on the manifold (for you I guess it would be in the air con intake as well) and one packet on each tire. Don't forget that they are there come driving time and consider not putting them on the tires if there are children around.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After some mice made a nest under the back seat of my ex Alfa GTV-6 and chewed all the way through the wiring harness, I always keep a couple of mouse traps in the garage loaded with peanut butter. I catch a couple of the little buggers every month or so. When I first put the traps out I caught nine of them. I don't want them making a mess of the Viper.

Jim

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mouse traps baited with peanut butter. That's the best. I have actually caught a mouse before I walked out of the room. They can't resist it.

I would forget poision unless you don't mind them rotting in your intake or some other place you can't get them out of.

I would place a couple of traps near the entries.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take action REAL soon. One mouse can destroy a car. Can you imagine the cost of a major wiring harness replacement?

When I had my Porsche out at the "Farm", I would put boxes and boxes and boxes of Decon Poison down.

A friend of mine had a rat's nest under his dash, 5 years later I could still smell the rat piss. I think all the carpet and interior would need to be replaced to get rid of the smell.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What smells worse - moth balls or mouse pi$$? Moth balls don't work and they smell up your garage. Traps are the only way. I'm planning to make my new garage absolutely rodent proof - if that is possible.
Bob K

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I catched couple critters this winter with a regular mousetrap. They seemed to enjoy more the Viper garage (heated) than the other unheated one.
My amish neighbours promised me any amount of cats i needed.... But I still remember my old cat sleeping on top of my -63 Vette. I'll skip the cats and buy more traps from Home Depot.

Buy Traps!!!

Lauri

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might try leaving the hood open when you store the car in the garage. They won't see the area as a good place to hide.
Traps are good. The Victor company made a trap called the "Tin Cat". It was a metal box about the size of a shoe box. It had a small opening with a kind of a seesaw gate. When they got in they couldn't get out and more could get in. You were supposed to put the trap on the floor against a wall. They would go in without any bait, lots of them, and stay alive so they wouldn't stink. Just put the trap in a bucket of water every three or four days. I think you can still get this trap.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mice during ice-storms up North until my father explained to me how to catch them....

First, open the garage door just a smidgen, enough for the mice to get out. Then cut a round hole in the ice and line the edges with peas. Take cover behind the car so the mice can't see you. Now, when he goes to take a pea ... you kick him in the ice hole!

Sorry, I couldn't resist
smile.gif
Doug

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my wife is terrified of mice so i have these special plug in things that send sounds that only the mice or rodents can hear. she has them plugged in all over the place. Sam's club target wal-mart should have them! SHe hasn't seen a mouse since then! works real good. last mouse we saw ran across our bed at night!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago, when I first moved into my ranch home, the boxes were piled up in the garage. It wasn't long before I had not cute litte mice, but RATS. Big ugly ones.

I kept trying to deny it in my head, but finally set up a camera and saw one moving around in the garage.

That's when I took action.

1) Got rid of everything in garage.
2) Set up the rat traps with peanut butter along the perimiter of the garage.
3) Although I estimated two rats causing the problems, over the next six days I caught 3 rats per day!! 18 RATS! They started big, and worked their way down in size to the youngest juveniles.
4) Repaired the hole in the drywall allowing them access under the house.
5) Prayed a lot.

After the initial carnage, I never saw another rat again. The peanut butter on the rat trap is as sure as death and taxes. I believe it is physically impossible for them to resist it! Thanks George Washington Carver!
supergrin.gif

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SOLUTION: GET A CAT. Lots of hungry, young cats. (older, fat, lazy cats dont help much, trust me...I have 2 old lazy ones and 2 younger ones...)

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just when I was about to post this, someone beat me to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SOLUTION: GET A CAT. Lots of hungry, young cats. (older, fat, lazy cats dont help much, trust me...I have 2 old lazy ones and 2 younger ones...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cat will clean the place of mice in 1 night. Get one from a farm or a younger one from the pound and dont feed it.

Lidquidsilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
let two or three bowconstrictors loose they'll take care of it for you it worked when my grandmother was over-ran when rats spawned in her feed for her animals

Lidquidsilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to double post but snakes work alot better than cats or traps because they get to the rats where they live but it depends on how many you have if it's more that maby a dozen or so use a snake cat combo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog