First Time Viper Owner- Hennessey 500

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dump the Hennessey crap and get a real roe kit instead, Hennessey is a sticker and some flea market add ons, probably just a k&n filter with stickers, standard ebay upgrade

The vast knowledge of a two-month VCA member.....:smirk:

The 500 package is, as stated above, something you can see with the exception of "fortified valvetrain" and "high flow intake". If it has any one of a number of aftermarket rockers (easy to see with the valve covers off) that's good. You'll likely never know about the intake until you take it off and mic it to see whether its been opened up. Doubtful that this was done since its important to do that as a match with any porting on the heads (which isn't even claimed in the package).

The 500 package seems to be an expensive set of bolt ons for 60 HP. Good thing someone before you paid the $10 large for it, now you get to enjoy the car without having to pay that premium.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or look for the crayon and happy meal gift certificates, got a magic marker and anyone can have a hennessey

Really Mr. Expert?

NA_Build_Dyno_Sheet.jpg

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i stand by my comments about Hennessey products and upgrades, his reputation for poor service is well known, 10 g for 60 hp gain is insane, k&n with smooth tubes by itself will pretty well do the same thing for 500 bucks, for 10 g I would of course spent toward roe merchandise or chuck or quality wires or or or, their reputations for quality and service is well known and well deserved, and side by side most people who know vipers would chose the roe, for 39 grand his 97 gts purchase seems ok, but since it has Hennessey anything on it I would go over it with a fine tooth comb, look at the forums and see companies and people that deserve 10 grand, enjoy the 97 gts as I also have a 97 gts as well as Ferrari, and lotus, so who cares how long people have been on vca, he asked for opinions and it was given, go to Hennessey if ur gonna gloss over his many accomplishments, all I see in the picks is a stock airbox with k&n stickers some Hennessey mats which could of been done in the local mall, when u but roush or roe at least u know u have a kit, the dealer was also careful on how the ad was worded as welll

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a Ferrari and Lotus everyone, and that is relevant to this thread how? The OP is excited about his new car and everyone takes a cr@p on his thread.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be sure to report back to everyone here when I get the car in and can take a closer look at it.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am excited for any one who buys a viper, the gen 2 gts is a great car and he got it at a fair price, but he should be aware of older Hennessey "upgrades", valvetrain fortifications means what? like any used car it should be gone over not just by a mechanic from the dealer but by the individual themselves, read the actual dealer ad for how it was legally worded, because of every comment in this thread he is now aware of some viper details which is always a good thing, it also means he will probably pull the covers off and see what his car actually has which is also good, also who cares about your gts-r world challenge specs 2002, I have had my 97 gts for a year which means nothing in the real world but have pulled nearly every bolt on the car and found some disturbing upgrades and "professional mechanical" work, vipers are quite the car and he should be aware and careful, when he gets the car he should go through it and check filters, fluids,tires,brakes, vpa , so good for him and a new vca member, go to the events and see what other members can provide for you and your car, the learning curve is steep but rewarding

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You like to use commas a lot, but please look at the key just to the right of it. Makes your run on sentences much easier to read.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy a viper because it is a viper, I went to the dealers site and looked at the pics and read the write up. was not trying to one up anyone, from what is shown and from descriptions given the following seems to be missing 1) exterior badging 2) airbox is stock with k&n sticker, this does not even mean there are k&n filters in the box or clean for that matter 3) full stainless 3 in exhaust, until the sills are off then who knows? 4) larger throttle bodies, intake, and valvetrain fortifications? have a spare set of gaskets when u take the covers off just in case 5) long tube headers? I have long tubes on my 97 gts with stock shields on so who knows,(consider wraping the headers if you get in too far, the ac hose off of the compressor can get pretty hot with aftermarket headers) 6) floormats, consider matching sneaky pete embroidered dash mat and cargo cover as well. the 96-97 have a problem on the rear glass adhesive so be careful lifting up the glass, also poly sway bar bushings could help, they are about 26 bucks per pair for greasable ones. tire rack seems to have pretty good prices for rear tires just in case. have fun and be careful, no traction control,stability or abs but that makes it more fun as well. the dealer specifies Hennessey upgrades but not a 500 kit so it looks like they know the details. buy the car not the flash/bling

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for looking into that with such detail. Like I said, I am a rookie here and I would be happy about this purchase with or without the Hennessey add ons.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will look more into the car when it arrives and will probably have to take some pics to have you guys confirm whether or not the "upgraded" parts are indeed upgraded.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.... Is this the Vette Forum?!

There is a right way and a wrong way to say things folks...

The car in and of itself looks awesome. If it was at a good price...so much the better. If the changes were the headers, exhaust, rockers, smooth tubes and a tune....you can get 500HP at the crank easy.

BTW as mentioned... You can pulle the valve cover to see if you have rockers. The gaskets are rubberized metal... I believe... Making them reusable... Unless they are damaged to begin with, you are golden....

The GTS is a freaking awesome car.... Love mine... You'll love yours as well...look forward to seeing the photos. We'll figure this out. Lots of good knowledgable folks here.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well....I got it...and 5 hours later I am home. I can only say one word: WOW. And it definitely has what it says it has: upgraded smooth tubes, headers, high flow cats, and exhaust, and even Hennessey "Venom Power" engraving on the valve covers, and Hennessey floor mats. It is fast and has a very powerful sound. It has exceeded expectations.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will get pics up tomorrow.

Awesome! That's what I'm talking about! Look forward to seeing them.

Glad you enjoyed it. A buddy of mine and I drove from Jacksonville to Miami in just over 4.5 hours with the Viper as the first drive. It was awesome! We stopped for a meal at McD's to get back behind the wheel fast!

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I didnt have to go to work today. :/ lol I am in love. I knew I would love it, but not like this.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I didnt have to go to work today. :/ lol I am in love. I knew I would love it, but not like this.

be careful buddy,

you sound like you will come down with

"i can't help myself, i just got to go into the garage and stare-itis" :omg:

i got it right after i got mine and it has lasted for years :2tu:

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its easy to let that happen. I am having trouble getting my pics to load. Its very slow. I think its my connection. Pics will be up ASAP.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, looks great :2tu:

With the stock airbox there is an internal upgrade that people do cutting out the rain baffle then screwing a plate on top. It helps the engine breath better :)

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the stripes were added on, as they run through the license plate and that wasnt available in 97. I actually like the gold outlines. I have received several compliments on the car, including one man saying it was the best looking car he has ever seen. I absolutely love it.