First Viper... First Impressions

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's been just over a week since Woodhouse dropped off my first Viper. I've been reading this forum for several years now and I thought I knew what to expect from the beast. In almost every instance, however, I was wrong. I had seen the SRT before (from a distance) but never driven or ridden in one; I just knew I wanted one. Obviously this is a bit of a risk to take, but aside from a little buyer's remorse (as there always is for me when spending this kind of money) I am not disappointed.

Driving Position I was very worried about this. I thought the pedels would be grossly offset to the side, the seat would be too high and the steering wheel would be offcenter. On the contrary, I don't notice any offset at all in either the pedels or the wheel. I had the seat lowered 1" before taking delivery and it's perfect: I'm looking right out the center of the windscreen (6'3"... long legs). The pedels are a bit too close and the clutch is a bit too far, but not enough to make a difference.

Seats I expected the seats to be snug and confining. I was hoping that the seats would be snug and confining, but sadly they aren't. I'm 6'3" 180lbs and my butt slithers all over the place when cornering. Conversely, I can barely sit back all the way because my shoulders don't fit. I can wedge myself in there, but I'll have to see what I can do about the seats. Maybe bend the upper bolsters out a bit and the lower ones inwards.

Gearbox This one was a bit worrying. I had heard around here that the Viper's transmission had the gears offset slightly, that the box wasn't meant for speed shifting, that it was balky and notchy. Frankly, I was half expecting it to require double-clutching. To somewhat alleviate this I had Mark at Woodhouse install their modified shifter with the shortened stock lever. I don't know if it was the shifter that did it, but the transmission is spectacular! Shifts are precise, the gates are well defined and as far as I can tell not offset at all. Maybe I just don't notice it. I don't know how it would be possible to miss a shift with this thing... it just slips so easily into fourth, and requires a bit of a tug to downshift into second. Call me relieved and pleased! I had also heard that 6th was basically unusable. I haven't had any problems at all... after about 50mph 6th is quite comfortable and pulls well enough.

Suspension Not as bad as I had feared, but harsher than I had hoped. It doesn't crash and rattle my teeth, but neither is it confidence inspiring. Based on little tidbits picked up here and there I increased the tire pressure to 34 lbs cold, but that made it just a bit too harsh. Scaled back to 32 and am relatively happy with it. I told Bill I might regret not going with the Motons, and boy do I ever!

I sure hope Chuck does Moton installs.

Exhaust note Oh, dear. I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. :( Once above 2000 rpm it settles into a less offensive roar, but below 1000 it's almost embarrassing. I do love the popping and crackling under deceleration though.

Cabin and sidepipe heat Haven't noticed any at all. It was 65 here today and I was running the heater to keep warm. After half an hour of driving the sidesills were barely warm, but I suppose under harsher conditions they could heat up fast.

Power No idea. Above 3000 rpm the rear wheels just spin, so it's difficult to get any real feel for the car. I love the way the car vibrates when motionless, and there certainly is a sense of barely restrained power lurking when accelerating at low throttle openings, but so far I have been unable to really open her up. Maybe the temperature has something to do with it. The runflats really are mind-numbingly bad.

Attention Some good, some bad! It's nice when it's parked, but given the seating position in motion it's really nothing more than an invitation to show off the bald spot! :)

Obviously most everyone on this site already has one (or several) so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but it was interesting to me just how bad the posts here make the car sound!

Big thanks to Bill P... a great car at a great price!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. I just got my first Viper last September, ironically it is also a black srt. If you bought your car new you will notice it will change after approx 5,000 miles in that the gearbox will become easier to shift into and the suspension will become more flexible for better response. GET RID OF THE RUN FLATS! Not only did I almost spin out at 90 mph, the ride is very unpredictable when the tires are cold and you only have about 1/2 a second to react if you get sideways under normal acceleration. I switched to PS2's and it drives like a completely different car, much better control. Also, you have about 50 additional hp trapped by the stock exhaust, you might want to consider some mods (I have smooth tubes and Belangers) for a car that sounds like a Viper should sound. It will also run cooler and get better gas mileage w/ freer flowing exhaust, not to mention more power. Call the best Tech closest to you, Chuck Tator in South Salem MA (I am in CT) and he will advise you on how to further enjoy your Viper! CONGRATS!

OP
OP
F

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fluffy,

read this post it will solve you clutch pedal issue in less than 5 mins.
I read that one when you posted it. I hadn't actually noticed the difference between the pedels until you pointed it out, but now it bugs the hell out of me! :)

GET RID OF THE RUN FLATS!
I plan to! Those and the Motons I'm hoping will make a big difference. Just have to give Chuck a call...

Reaction score
I try not to be negative but I have a few questions about your review. There is no way your driving a new viper down the hwy at 50 mph in 6th gear the engine would shut off. Maybe you have 456 gears. I switched to 355 and anything under 80 in 6th makes the engine run a bit rough I notice it in the inside rearview mirror. Also I don't know what gear box your viper has but trying to powershift to 3rd or 4th is a crap shoot. And if you had to use your heater to produce heat on a 65 degree day that is strange. Didn't notice any heat from the hood scoops entering your heater intake by the windshield or the hot air coming in from the side vents and your sills never got hot to the touch, wow I would like to buy that viper. Sorry to seem so negative. I still love that hot nasty shifting car. Your description should say it's the best car ever owned mechanically and the fit and finish is superb.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the factory rear gear ratio and at 60MPH the engine is spinning only about 1200 RPM. It cruises just fine at 60, but i'm not sure how you're able to cruise at 50. The engine would be idling at that speed! As far as the run-craps go, I live in florida, so most days are very warm here and the run craps stick very well. But if I'm cruising on a cool evening, say only 70 degrees outside, I have to be more careful.

OP
OP
F

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*shrug* I sure didn't pay for different rear gears. It lugs a bit in 6th at 50mph (still at nearly 1000 rpm if I remember correctly) but as long as I don't need to accelerate in a hurry it does OK for cruising. The drone at that speed gets old quick though. As for the gearbox, what can I say? Maybe it's the Woodhouse modified shifter, but 4th is the easiest gear to get into(ignoring the skip-shift :mad:). It could also just be variances in manufacture, who knows?

I can see the heat coming off the hood when stopped and I can certainly feel it, but as soon as I'm moving it's gone. I just got back from a late night drive (around 70 degrees) in shorts and felt nothing. The air from the vents (non-AC) was cool and the sills were warm when I got out but not burning. Maybe my engine is a dud and I'm only getting 300hp or something.

I wasn't aiming to make the car sound like a Rolls, and it's still far from a daily-driver, but I expected it to be much "worse" than it is.